Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

TV Food shows: DDD, MvF, & others

Solson005
Solson005 Posts: 1,911
Since we are all here because of food I was just curious if anybody else likes visiting these places they have seen on tv.. 

@JRWhitee and I started talking about it in another thread and I figured others would be interested to so I tried to get that one back on topic and made this one. 

I have been to:

51 Diners, Drive-ins, & Dives places
11 Man vs Food places
and many others that have been featured on different tv shows. 

I used to travel 300+ days working on Engineering projects for the FAA and made detours throughout my travels to hit up as many of these places as possible. 

What are some of your favorites? 

My all-time favorite is the Standard Diner in Albuquerque, NM I stayed the night every time i drove to and from Oklahoma city to California and enjoyed practically everything on their menu. As I was dining by myself most of the time I talked to many people and found quite a few people traveling the country just to see all these places. I have yet to have a bad experience in any of these places but probably would get something else if I went back to a few places. 
Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 

Comments

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    edited March 2013
    Hmmmm.... How can I get this off-topic??   >-)

XLBGE 
  • Solson005
    edited March 2013
    @MrCookingNurse I think that falls into the & others portion of the title…  :-\"

The local DDD spots in the Oklahoma City area are all good and I would recommend them to anyone. I haven' t made it to Mama E's Chicken & Waffles but I will someday. There is a fried Chicken place called Eischens that I make a trip out to with friends a few times a year and it is the oldest bar in oklahoma. 

Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    When my wife and I took our honeymoon to NYC we ate some real good food at a couple places.  Wanted to go to Boby Flays place but line was always mile long.  DDD always makes me hungry, never a good idea to watch while going to bed. 

XLBGE 
  • Solson005
    edited March 2013
    @MrCookingNurse I ate at Mesa Grill, Bobby's place in Caesars Palace in vegas for lunch one day. The Swordfish club was amazing and one of my co-workers got a dish that had 3 or 4 bites, he had food envy for sure that day.. 

Emerils in New Orleans was like that so I just waited till I got to vegas to try a couple of his places too. 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Solson005 said:
    @MrCookingNurse I ate at Mesa Grill, Bobby's place in Caesars Palace in vegas for lunch one day. The Swordfish club was amazing and one of my co-workers got a dish that had 3 or 4 bites, he had food envy for sure that day.. 

Emerils in New Orleans was like that so I just waited till I got to vegas to try a couple of his places too. 
    We have hit Mesa on several trips (Toyota loves vegas). Lots of good food but to me the very best thing is his peach margaritas.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Solson005
    Good to know @Mickey I found the recipe online and will make a batch for my next mexican feast!  Thanks
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    I just ate at Mesa Grill in the Bahamas and it was excellent. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Solson005
    edited March 2013
    @HI54putty I didn't even know he had expanded there, makes sense.

I bet that was a fun vacation! 

Most of my famous chef trips have been in Vegas

Mario Batali's Carnevino dry aged steak was the only one that blows my egg steaks out of the water. 
    Emeril's Fish House and Lagasse's Stadium were really good
    Tom Colicchio's Craftsteak was awesome but I only had a app before watching the Cirque du Solei KA. 
    Hubert Keller's Fleur was really good and I had the lobster mac and cheese from top chef masters that he had to make in a dorm shower. 
  • nashbama
    nashbama Posts: 102
    When my wife and I were visiting Charleston, SC a couple of years ago, we made a point to visit Jestine's Kitchen. It was featured in an episode of "No Reservations". I'm glad we did, it was one of my favorite restaurants there.

Although it's impossible to have even an average meal in Charleston. It's heaven for a foodie.

The DDD & MvF Nashville locations are a little touristy. Good, but there are some better places around.
  • Solson005
    @nashbama I agree most of the Man vs Food spots are pretty touristy, DDD is all over the place but I do know from talking to several people who work at the locations say it definitely draws a crowd once they are on the show. 

I saw a couple No Reservations from the final season that looked like really good places to check out. 
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Solson005 said:
    @HI54putty I didn't even know he had expanded there, makes sense but I bet that was a fun vacation! 
    It was a great vacation. We were there for 6 days and had some very good meals...Mesa Grill was my favorite. I had a citrus rubbed ribeye that was amazing. Sides and apps were great too. 

@mickey, My wife had the jalapeno margarita and it was spicy and very good. Give it a try next time.  
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Mickey
    edited March 2013
    <P> @    <A class=Username href="http://eggheadforum.com/profile/62533/Solson005"><STRONG><FONT color=#00573d size=3>Solson005</FONT></STRONG></A>  Last New Car Show was in Vegas. Had lunch at Mesa (very good) and dinner </P>
    <P>at  <A href="http://www.mariobatali.com/restaurants_cv.cfm" rel=nofollow><STRONG><FONT color=#00573d>Carnevino</FONT></STRONG></A>. I can do a better steak than I had there at the total cost of a Large Egg for 5 of us.I had the dry aged steak.</P>
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Solson005
    edited March 2013
    @Mickey  It was the only dry-aged steak I've had and it was cooked perfectly. I'm glad I was getting perdiem and did not effect my budget too much. I don't normally get expensive steaks to cook but I'm sure the same cut would be great on the egg too. Luckily we were catching a show at another hotel so we didn't stick around for more drinks or dessert or it would have been as much as a egg for sure. 

It was a one time deal just to try it. Now that I'm back to cooking on the egg I would view the high price and think of how many egg meals I could get out of it. 
  • Mickey
    Solson005 said:
    @Mickey  It was the only dry-aged steak I've had and it was cooked perfectly. I'm glad I was getting perdiem and did not effect my budget too much. I don't normally get expensive steaks to cook but I'm sure the same cut would be great on the egg too. Luckily we were catching a show at another hotel so we didn't stick around for more drinks or dessert or it would have been as much as a egg for sure. 
    I had said something to a local and was told they are very hit and miss at the time. This was September. You bet your @$$ mine was expense. Going out on a guess, were you headed to the Bettles show?

• Solson005
    @Mickey that night was Mystère, the Beatles is the only Cirque show I haven't seen. It was on the list but we wrapped up the project 3 weeks early so I had planned to Goto that one later.. I will catch it eventually.
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    I've been to several, drove to Pannini  Pete's in Fiar Hope Ala only to find it was closed on the day we went. Favorite was The Conquistador sandwich at Zunzi's in Savannah Ga. Great friendly place. They let us taste samples of everything before we ordered.

LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Solson005
    @SmokinDAWG82 that's about the only area of the county I haven't gotten to explore, I did frequently growing up but haven't made it to that part of the country in years.
  • While the restaurant has never been on DDD my favorite sammich eatery Blue Boy features a picture on the wall of Guy Fieri visiting the shop, posing with the owner.
  • Solson005
    Where is the Blue Boy located? @Jethro_Bodine and what sandwich do you like best? 
  • Blue Boy is located in Jacksonville Florida.

I started going there I would get a #8 or #9 which are both roast beef but a #9 has peppers.

• Solson005
    Sounds good, thanks for sharing! @Jethro_Bodine