Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cast iron and raised grill suggestions

Options
I am new to the Forum, have just purchased my Large BGE in the last month.  LOVE, LOVE it, however, I have discovered I am in need of a couple more accessories.  Looking for suggestions for elevated grill to cook pizza on as well as another layer of cooking surface.  Also looking for suggestions for a cast iron grill to cook steaks.  I like to let the fire go through my steak to sear them  and would like any suggestions related to a cast iron grill you have used that you really like. 

Thanks in advance.
j2lindsay

Comments

• cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    Swing rack from ceramicgrillworks.com
    Mark Annville, PA
  • jbva
    jbva Posts: 11
    Options
    i got the adjustable rig and have been very pleased with the quality and features.  I was able to lay down 6 full racks of ribs for superbowl and the stone so i had three layers with the extender.  I think website is ceramicgrillstore.com

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Swing Rack or the plethora of eggcessories from tom at Ceramic grill store. Adjustable Rig, Spider.... You can call him to find the best set-up for you. He is also an active member of the forum, as is Franco at CGW.

tjv and CGW1 are their handles, respectively.
  • eggingout1983
    Options
    Call Tom and CGS and he'll fix you up right away. the AR will be your new best friend 
    Toronto,  Ontario,  Large, Large, Mini Max
  • BigGreenBBQ
    BigGreenBBQ Posts: 109
    Options

The AR is a must. Tom is the real deal and his products are made in the USA. I have had an egg for a long time but just bought the AR -- should have done it years ago... here is one of my previous reviews on the AR. http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1302993/#Comment_1302993

I look for cast iron on craigslist. Sometimes you can get a great deal.

I also just bought a Paella pan - never had it before but cooked some up last weekend -- it was awesome. 

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    cast iron grates... you need mangrates.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • BigGreenBBQ
    BigGreenBBQ Posts: 109
    Options
    henapple said:
    cast iron grates... you need mangrates.
    Damn you beat me to it...
  • scooter759
    scooter759 Posts: 257
    Options
    Bought the AR R&B combo last year. Just got the AR extender. Really gives you a lot of flexibility. As already stated, I can't beleive I waited this long. I went with the R&B with the oval stone  because I already have a platesetter.
    Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • j2lindsay
    Options
    Thanks for all of your recommendations!  
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    The ceramic grill works swing rack sounds like it would be perfect to fit your needs. It is made from carbon steel but sears like cast iron. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    You can't go wrong with either sysyem because they're both very well made. Franco at www.ceramicgrillworks.com is a good guy. So is Tom at www.ceramicgrillstore.com . Enjoy shopping!

Flint, Michigan
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options
    Solson005 said:
    The ceramic grill works swing rack sounds like it would be perfect to fit your needs. It is made from carbon steel but sears like cast iron. 
    Totally agree with Solson005.  I wanted both a two-tiered system and something to sear steaks.  This setup is a bit pricey, but very high quality and well worth it.  And it would have been what I would have spent or a little less had I bought both a rack and iron grate separately.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    I just have two fire bricks with a standard cast iron grate. 55$ and done
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Gave away CI for Large and Small years age. Just did nothing for me, went with SS. To get height: Adj Rig (IMO) is best.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• chrisnjenn
    chrisnjenn Posts: 534
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Buy from the best. Plus he continually improves his product and has it in stock all the time. I have both systems (swing rack and adj rig) described above and the adjustable rig is a better product and much more versatile. Tom@ http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    edited April 2013
    Options

+1 for the AR.  I got the Adustable Rig from Ceramic Grill Store and love it.  I don't always want sear like the CGW swing rack but I love the sliding D rack on the extender from Tom.

Indirect heat has never been easier.  So far there isn't a configuration that I haven't been able to do and now doing mains and sides at the same time is so easy. 

Hope this doesn't turn into a Ford vs. Chevy vs. Dodge debate...

:)>-

For Cast Iron - look for a Comal... or a Lodge Griddle and cut the handle off

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• CigarSmokinEgger
    Options
    I've searched the Ceramic Grill site and cannot find an AR for the Medium, is this only available for the L/XL?