Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Off Topic...Fried Shrimp, Cheesy Biscuits and Caesar Salad

Dyal_SC
Dyal_SC Posts: 6,024

I've been craving seafood a lot lately.  We decided on Fried Shrimp tonight.  I decided to give the brine a try tonight that @Griffin posted about awhile back.  Here is a link to his blog.... GRIFFIN'S BRINED AND GRILLED SHRIMP

I didn't use the Big Green Egg tonight.  Instead, we were craving Fried Shrimp.  In the past, I've never been able to get my fried shrimp just right...  It's always been a rubbery texture, the batter pulled away from the shrimp itself, or the fried surface had a "floury" taste.  Griffin's brine was the ticket.....along with Panko Bread Crumbs.  The texture of the panko was very crispy, and the meat of the shrimp was juicy, plump and not rubbery in the least.  They were nice and bite through and delicious!  This will most definitely be the only way we fry shrimp from now on.  :)

I followed Griffin's recipe for the brine for the most part, but I did not add the 1/4 cup of Zattarains.  I did, however, add some Old Bay Seasoning to the mix.  For the sugar, I used Turbinado Sugar in the Raw....hence the brownish hue. 

After about 25 minutes, I took the shrimp out of the brine and rinsed them about 4 times.  Then, I gave them a dusting of Seasoned Flour, then a dunk in some Egg Wash, and then finally tossed them in some Panko Bread Crumbs.

Next, I fried them in some Canola Oil in batches at around 350 deg f. 

Gave them a light sprinkle of Sea Salt after they were out of the fryer.  Served up with some Cheese and Garlic Biscuits and Caesar Salad. 

Definitely the best Fried Shrimp we've ever had....cooked at home or in any restaurant.  The brine and the panko are definitely the ticket.

And my awesome wife's Homemade Chocolate Chip Cookies finished things off just right.  ;)

Comments