Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wish list... What would be your priority?

Just getting set up, so I have a few things on my wish list, looking for input as to what order you would add the items. My current set up is a LBGE in nest, platesetter, V rack, Polter single probe temp monitor that reads both pit and food. The following are items that I want to add, if I'm missing something let me know: Adjustable Rack w/ spider Maverick dual probe monitor Digiq 2 controller Egg table (self made) Pizza Stone How would you prioritize the above? Thanks for the input!
McAlester, Ok. Large and Mini Egg

Comments

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    I'm going to take the liberty of adding a Thermapen and saying that should be your #1 purchase. After that I guess it completely depends on how you cook and what you are going to cook.  I'd say after the Thermapen, the Adjustable Rig, table and pizza stone are a virtual tie, but that's just my opinion. I know many who love their temperature controllers, but I haven't ever needed one.  Would be fun to have though.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    If your getting the AR and spider also get the 13 inch cast iron grill to sear down low by the coals for steaks etc and a 13" indirect stone for the spider too.

Congrats on the new egg i'm sure you will love it!!!
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    I would looking into a cyber Q instead of Digi Q.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    Beer and bourbon and some time to cook
  • DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    +1 for the thermapen, this was one of the best investments I made for all my cooking both in the kitchen and on the grill. I love my pizza stone as I  bake bread as well a pizza on the Egg and have even used it in the oven when needed. I want a table and have someone to help me now I just need to commit to buy the lumber and cook for my help. 
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • ddegger
    ddegger Posts: 244
    Of your list I would say table and pizza stone. I'm a noob too, but finished my8th cook tonight and couldn't be happier. My table makes everything convenient - I added a small towel bar, hooks on the side for my utensils, a grate hanger on the back, and I just laid a slab of marble down on top for a prep surface....rarely need to go into the kitchen at this point! Pizza stone is also a must. Had a party and did five pies last night. Had the EGG and stone up to around 600. Pizza was perfectly crispy on bottom, great melted toppings on top....never back to delivery for me. Good luck, have fun!
  • daffy1909
    daffy1909 Posts: 498
    edited March 2013
    pizza stone  loks like the most inexspensive item on your list! and i know my family loves the pizza on the egg! so for me that would be a no brainer! B-) imo! also the egg is still warm enuff that at 2 am when the munchies roll in u can still throw a slice or 2 on the stone to warm it up (keeps it crispy!!)
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    +Thermapen. I would make a cast iron grate my next priority. It makes an enormous difference on anything that you cook relatively fast, from steak to chicken wings. My next purchase would be a Maverick 732. It allows you to do something other than hover over the egg all day on long cooks. The AR can wait if you have a CI grate; just use bricks or bolts for an indirect, and the CI makes searing easy, so you don't really need to go so low. 

I still don't have a DigiQ. How often will you be doing butts and briskets? I do them only a few times a year and the Maverick is fine if you don't mind getting up super early. You don't really need a DigiQ for ribs, which we do fairly often, usually once a month. 

And a table. ... I live in a city and don't want to give up valuable real estate, so I use a small table with two shelves. I would love a table, though. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Thermapen now and any Ele controller after a year. Learn to use your Egg first. Second would be Adj Rig.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• TripleD
    TripleD Posts: 14
    Get a set of Grill Grates and forget the cast Iron grill. GG are much more versatile with same great grill marks.
  • okienine
    okienine Posts: 43
    thanks for all the input, Im taking notes! Looks like Thermapen is in my near future.
    McAlester, Ok. Large and Mini Egg
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    edited March 2013
    It kinda depends on what you want to cook more of to prioritize what you should get next. 

Thermapen is a very good choice to know exactly what temp your food is in seconds I use it to boil water for tea and check oil for frying and on every cook on the egg except pizza and wok cooks. 

A second tier is great to be able to cook sides along with your main dish. I went with the Ceramic Grill Works Swing Rack and love it. It works with the platesetter as seen here. 

It is made from carbon steel and sears like cast iron. 

If you plan on doing lots of low and slows a digiQ or cyberQ are great tools that keep you egg at the same temp for hours. I use my digiQ anytime I cook over an hour, I only have that and a thermapen to monitor temperatures and don't have the need for other thermometers. 

Pizzas are one of my favorite things to make on the egg and I highly recommend you get a pizza stone. 

Wok cooking using the Ceramic Grill Store Spider is another fun cook.

Now with all these "eggcessories" you will need a place to store all that stuff I went with a pergola 

Then I built a rolling cabinet to store all of the supplies (this is a picture of when I re-strained / sealed it a couple weeks ago and is looking great after almost two years) 

There are lots of different routes to go to cook some great food these are just a few of my favorites. 

Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I wouldn't get in a hurry. what I need/ want Will be different from yours. figure out what you need in time, especially the table so that you don't end up with a bunch of stuff you don't use.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    When i first started cooking on my egg, i had an "off brand" temperature probe that was so slow acting, i usually would burn my hands before the temperature leveled off!!  Then i bought the thermapen and would sometimes forget to use it, then i started making a second trip into the house to have it as i cooked.  Now it is automatically one of the first things i reach for before starting to cook.  My entire BBQing life has always been guess work!  With the thermapen, you KNOW what is happening -- just consider pork chops or steak -- where the difference between failure and perfection is ten degrees???