Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Traveling with the Large. Any Suggestions?

Today my pastor suggested an "End of the Year Cookout" this May for the AWANA program I run at our church.  This means cooking for 30+ kids and some of their parents.  We have a big gasser at church so for the unadventerous eaters, burgers & dogs can be cooked on that.  I thought about moving my large and loading it up with butts for some pulled pork sammies and maybe a desert.  I think I'm going to take my large with me to cook in Owosso in June, so this will be a good dry run.  Any suggestions on how to do it without busting a you know what?  I'm not opposed to making or buying something to get the job done.  There's been a few sad scrambled Egg stories here lately and I'm a little bit nervous about it.  Currently my large lives in the garage in a table.  Here's a photo:

Thanks for looking and any suggestions offered.

Flint, Michigan

Comments

• Roll your egg table onto a uhaul trailer and strap it down. Only way I would attempt it.
    Gittin' there...
  • Scratch that idea. The bumps will probably cause damage to the ceramic.
    Gittin' there...
  • I was hoping to leave the table at home. I know getting it out of the table will suck though.
    Flint, Michigan
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    How far are you traveling and is the road smooth or rough. If you have a truck and just have to move it. I would remove inner parts and either take top off or make sure it is held down tight. I just got back from the sunshine eggfest with an XL. I drove from Melbroune, FL. to Grenada, MS. The egg is fine I kept all the parts inside but had them all wrapped with blankets.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• I am going to be moving mine soon. It is a large and in a table. I have thought of using large thick ratchet straps. two of them and picking it up with them. As far as transporting. I think a lot of folks are buckling them into the car with a seatbelt. If you have a truck I would get a couple old tires. Sit it in the old tire and strap it in. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Roll your egg table onto a uhaul trailer and strap it down. Only way I would attempt it.
    I would do that.  Wrap the firebox and ring in an old towel and put back in the egg.  Strap the egg down to the table and the table to the trailer. 

If you're gonna take it out, get some of those pot movers.  I think you're more likely to break it taking it out and moving it around then putting it back than just leaving it in the table strapped down.
    I think I would go ahead and remove the innards and get at least one other person to help you remove it from the table.  Once it is out of the table it shouldn't be so bad. I've seen pictures of them strapped in the back seat.  

I'm sure you have thought of this...but you could always cook some butts at home and then transport them FTC'd in a cooler for the church function ;).  Perhaps a cheap chafing dish like this to keep the pork warm once pulled.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Yeah I thought about going FTC to church in May, but then I don't think that's an option for cooking with @Owossoegger in June.  I have Wilma's minivan and my Malibu.  I would hate to rent a U-Haul in June because when it's over, it's over.  If I put the same money towards a nest & handler, I might be better off for traveling with it in the future.  I have no idea how much a nest & handler run though.  Do you all think this is a viable solution?

Nola, I like your using pot movers idea.  Those fellas are notoriously unreliable though.   

;)
    Flint, Michigan
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Fred - you can rig up some moving straps.  Here's what I used to get it in the table: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1141223
    edited March 2013

On several big cooks for others, we find that cooking at our own facility and transporting the food on food carriers works best.  Hot food can stay hot for 5/6 hours.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    edited March 2013
    I would definitely spend the $30 on a pot lifter and was going that route until i found the eggcarten for my small. My large doesn't move off my pergola but if I ever do move it I'm getting one. You can even get it from Fred's Music and BBQ so find something else you want to order or try some new rubs and shipping won't be that bad. 

I think @MrCookingNurse used one to help get his eggs into the new table. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    The potlifter may have been cheaper on Amazon, and gets great reviews.

Nola: sorry flagged your post OT by mistake.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    @caliking if you click on the ot again it should go away.
  • So does anyone know off the top of their head how much a large nest and a handler are?
    Flint, Michigan
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Naturally the best answer is to just get a small...

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• I have a small and a mini as well, but I need the volume the large provides for these two cooks.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    MSRP for the nest and the handler for the large is around $165 for the nest, handler I think is around $100.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    I move my eggs around all the time by myself. I bought a pot lifter about two months ago and love it. I can move the small by myself with it and it makes the large a breeze for two people.

I personally just take the innards out of my large and grab the bottom vent with one hand and the hinge with the other, that was not recommended so I rigged up a handle with a laso through the top and vents. That was a lot more secure. The pot lifter is a little hard one man'd because it requires tension to hold.

When I move my SBGE in and out of table the pot lifter is a one man job.

When moving LBGE out of table I take the dome off and can do it all alone.

With all joking aside, this is the safest way I feel to transport my LBGE.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

I put the egg in my car myself and the innards in the trunk.

All that being said, you can cook ahead of time and warm up in church oven ;)
    That is what I've done the last couple times.

Just curious, how will a nest and handler help you travel? You just replacing table? Or having it to set up on when you get somewhere? I keep looking for used nest to cook with at campground or parents.

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    Msg me if ya want. I do a lot of traveling with my eggs

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    caliking said:

The potlifter may have been cheaper on Amazon, and gets great reviews.

Nola: sorry flagged your post OT by mistake.

I think mine was under $30 shipped.

XLBGE 
  • I like the BGE hitch mount but that is too much $$ for the number of times one may use it.
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    I move my eggs around all the time by myself. I bought a pot lifter about two months ago and love it. I can move the small by myself with it and it makes the large a breeze for two people. I personally just take the innards out of my large and grab the bottom vent with one hand and the hinge with the other, that was not recommended so I rigged up a handle with a laso through the top and vents. That was a lot more secure. The pot lifter is a little hard one man'd because it requires tension to hold. When I move my SBGE in and out of table the pot lifter is a one man job. When moving LBGE out of table I take the dome off and can do it all alone. With all joking aside, this is the safest way I feel to transport my LBGE. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos I put the egg in my car myself and the innards in the trunk. All that being said, you can cook ahead of time and warm up in church oven ;) That is what I've done the last couple times. Just curious, how will a nest and handler help you travel? You just replacing table? Or having it to set up on when you get somewhere? I keep looking for used nest to cook with at campground or parents.

MCN, does your car smell like burnt ends? Does your pretty bride mind? Or does it all smell like KY?

=))

I kid.

:))

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• meister5
    meister5 Posts: 20
    I took mine to the lake last summer. It is in a stainless steel table and I just rolled in into my cargo trailer and ratchet strapped it down. I put one strap up and over the top so the lid could not bounce and it rode fine both direction. About 20 kms. of that was gravel but I took it easy and the tandem trailer took most of the bouncing out of the trip.
    Meadow Lake Sk. LBGE, Stoker, Adjustable rig.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    You could do like @Mickey in Salado....put it in the bed of a truck and have the TN country boy hold it down....heck, i can keep 3 at a time from bouncing around.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    To move mine to Fl for vacation I take off the top and pull out the guts. Easy to move then. Have a pot lifter but easer to do by myself than get wife involved.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Thanks everyone for your thoughts.  I think I'm going to buy a pot lifter.  When I move it, I'm going to pull the innerds and go for it.  I'm not sure if I'm down with the expense of a nest and handler.  However, if I put that thing on pavement and stoop all day, my back will make me regret it!  Putting it on blocks is not much better.  More thinking on that, but the pot lifter is the main answer for now.

Flint, Michigan
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I constantly see nest on craigslist....$75-$100
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Sounds like a lot of horsing around to cook something that you could either cook at home and keep hot up to five hours, or cook a couple of days before the party and heat up on the gaser while you are cooking the hot dogs and hamburgers.  And consider how hot the egg is going to remain before you can handle it???
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    I agree with @henapple and see them fairly often. I have my local Craigslist setup to email me when anything big green egg is posted. Right now there is just a XL nest and a guy wanting to trade beyonce tickets for a egg. If a cheap nest pops up I'll let you know.
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • MrCookingNurse
    edited March 2013
    @henapple
    @solson005

Yea I see nest a good bit too. Usually the wrong size or just too far away. But still watching.

I say we have a beyonce eggfest 8->

A bunch of grown men grilling, tailgating outside of a Beyonce concert wouldn't be weird would it??

XLBGE