Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Who's ever smoked salt

Options
yzzi
yzzi Posts: 1,843
I was in a store today and I saw some hickory and apple wood smoked sea salt. Smelled pretty good. Never thought about it before, but I'm sure it's be great in rubs and used on lots of food on the grill for a bit more flavor. Anyone ever use the smoked salt before, or make it? I found some guy who smoked sea/kosher salt for about an hour. I might give it a try.
Dunedin, FL

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    done it, lay it out in foil and give it a very light spray of water and smoke it. when done you want to put it in a jar that seals like a small mason jar because the smoke seems to fade in a few weeks if left exposed. then make a bloody mary with it
    :D
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • milesbrown4
    milesbrown4 Posts: 314
    Options
    never smoked it myself it before, but I use adler smoked sea salt all the time when I cook salmon.  I cover the half a salmon (buy it at costco) with a generous amount of the salt (only).  Let it soak into the salmon for an hour or so in the refrigerator.  Bring the salmon out for about 10-15 to get it back to room temperature, wash the salt off the salmon.  Cover with fresh dill and/or minced garlic.  (don't put any salt or pepper on it - no more needed).  It is the best!  Good luck.  
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    when you do it try some peppercorns too, ive never seen that done but it sounds interesting and i bet it takes even more smoke
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    I have never thought of smoking it myself but we do occasionally by the smoked sea salt from Maldon.  Maldon regular sea salt is our salt of choice and it really is a better salt because the crystals are large irregular you seem to be able to use less weight wise but get more of a flavour kick.

Gerhard
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options

I did this recipe a few years back and decided it was tooo much work, 18 hours, for the end result which was good.

http://www.philcase.com/bge/posts/280204.htmr

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    Wow, 18 hours seems like a long while. When you did that recipe did you get a really deep smoke taste? Maybe I'll try it just for a few hours and see how that goes before I try the 18 hour ordeal. It just seems excessive especially since meats pick up smoke tastes relatively shortly. I like the steam/moisture idea, that just makes sense.

I guess I may as well throw some almonds on too for a bit while I'm at it...
    Dunedin, FL
  • MO_Eggin
    MO_Eggin Posts: 282
    Options
    I smoked coarse sea salt with apple & pecan a few months back - just dumped the salt into a foil pan, smoked at 275 ish for 2-3 hours, no water spritz; 18 hours seems unnecessary.  Adds a nice mild hint of smoke to foods.

LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • zosobao5150
    zosobao5150 Posts: 133
    Options
    Doesn't doing this turn you into a zombie, and you want to eat peoples' faces off?
    XL BGE
  • ddegger
    ddegger Posts: 244
    Options
    Yes, but that wears off in a couple of hours.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I probably took 18 hours 'cause my containers were 1/2-3/4" deep and I stirred it every few hours.  Also I left it on overnight to gather more smoke flavor.