Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What price to fifer for used small in need of new gasket?

Options
CPARKTX
CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
Anything else to worry about? Are gaskets easy to install?
LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Are you asking what to offer? Gaskets cost 30 or so and are easy to install. Hardest part is getting old gasket gunk off with acetone to make sure it adheres. How old is the small? Good shape? Pics?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    Are you asking what to offer? Gaskets cost 30 or so and are easy to install. Hardest part is getting old gasket gunk off with acetone to make sure it adheres. How old is the small? Good shape? Pics?
    Yes more information please.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    I don't have pics. I have been looking for a deal to add a Small to the family and someone is posting this one for sale on Craigslist, claims it has been used a few times, in good condition, but "gasket needs to be glued back on".
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    How much does the seller want for it? Does it come with a plate setter? Nest? Table? Gaskets are not that big a deal you can look up plenty of posts on the forum and Youtube to help you through the installation.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Gaskets are a non issue.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I figure the warranty is worth about 1/3 of the price of a new egg.  So knock that off the local new price.  Then, gasket.  $30.  take that off.  Then it's used, and just walking it out of the showroom makes it depreciate.  So maybe $50 off.  Condition deduction.  dealer price x 0.66 - 30 - 50.  whatever that is is a fair price.
    Options
    Well, it has feet and the older handle so it is at least a year old. Another indicator of age would be the cooking grid (SS vs porcelain coated). If I remember correctly, the SS grid came out in 2011. Check if it has a spring assist band. Of course check for cracks. As others pointed out, the gasket is pretty minor.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Gasket is a none issue, that's already been addressed. Your warranty is toast, big deal. Even if its pristine, you've gotta knock it down cause of lack of warranty. I just paid $500 even for a SBGE, I'd pay $300 for it without warranty, if it looks worn and a few years old, your not gonna get much from me for it. I've seen them on Craigslist for around $400, that's not a deal at all.

B-) >$300 lets talk

[-X <$400 no deal

\m/ >$200 I'd run with it!!

Accessories don't add up much in my book except a nest, mates and stones could add $50-75.

Hope this rambling helps.

XLBGE 
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    I bought a medium, with nest and side tables,plate setter and cast iron and grill for $240. .  The small casters on the nest needed replacement, but it cleaned up like brand new.  I installed heavy duty larger castors and built a raised grid for about $40.00 ..  Gave it to my daughter and son-in-law.  Perfect for two people...
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options

I figure the warranty is worth about 1/3 of the price of a new egg.  So knock that off the local new price.  Then, gasket.  $30.  take that off.  Then it's used, and just walking it out of the showroom makes it depreciate.  So maybe $50 off.  Condition deduction.  dealer price x 0.66 - 30 - 50.  whatever that is is a fair price.

Why do you always have to make sense?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN