Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another Egghead Joins the Cult

My buddy called me the other day and said it was official, he became an egghead. He loved coming to my house and messing around with my XL and knew the egg was the cooker for him. His Large BGE was delivered yesterday.  We'll be building his table this weekend. I'll get him to join the forum too. He was asking me about indirect setups because he did not buy a plate setter.

I have the plate setter, but recommended he check out the Ceramic Grill Store web site before making a decision. I couldn't give him advice on which setup to get, so I'm looking for your suggestions.

I know that he plans on cooking pizzas, but also is interested in all of our bbq favorites like butts, briskets, chicken and ribs. I know that the sky is the limit with these setups, but what do you recommend? Will he need 2 pizza stones or 1? I would assume 1 stone would be the indirect piece, and the 2nd would be for the pizza itself. Should he go for the adjustable rig, or should he go with a woo? What comes with the rig? Tom's site is great, but the options are overwhelming.

Thanks Guys.
Mark Annville, PA

Comments

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,506
    edited March 2013
    another sucker is born! kidding  :))

seriously, give Tom a call.
    canuckland
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    For pizza, I use a plate setter, a stock grid and a stone from Tom.

Ps legs up, grid on top and stone resting on the grid.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    edited March 2013
    I would recommend the adjustable rig customer combo.  At least to get started and then see if he ends up doing enough ribs and brisket to justify getting the 13x17 stuff.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    The adjustable rig will allow him to get pies up high in the dome and max out butt space

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I have three bricks to raise the grid/stone. 
     my best friend bought a lg at salado. My wife's friend wants to get her hubby a lg from the Austin eggfest. My room mate from Alaska got a lg about a year ago. 

Once they eat some food from the egg they crumble like a cookie. 
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    He really needs a plate setter!  I don't have an adjustable rig, went with a three tiered rig from BGE, but i can see where i made a mistake !!
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
     my best friend bought a lg at salado.

No I didn't. Why do you lie?

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929

my best friend bought a lg at salado.

No I didn't. Why do you lie?
    Hahaha. My man. Missed that humor. Travis, Centex and VI told me you got so drunk they found you sucking your thumb and crying in the corner with a shun knife and an apple core in your lap. Please tell us the story.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Chubbs
    Oh back I topic. My last pizza I did spider in upright position, grid, then stone to get it higher than my normal setup. Talk about wobbly setup!! Tonight I am doing my Tuesday night skillet pie. Let me snap a pic.
  • Chubbs
    Proof
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    edited March 2013
    For pizza, I use a plate setter, a stock grid and a stone from Tom. Ps legs up, grid on top and stone resting on the grid.
    Me too. If I bought an egg first thing I would buy for it is a plate setter. There a lot of cool Eggsessories out there. I am still building my setup. I have almost everything now. The one thing I want next is the raised grill from ceramic grill works

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Thanks for the input guys. As I said, I have the platesetter for my XL. I use it all of the time and it works for me. My thought was that the large doesn't have the real estate that the XL does, so perhaps the rig might be a better setup.

@six_egg I agree, I want that swing rack too.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025

my best friend bought a lg at salado. My wife's friend wants to get her hubby a lg from the Austin eggfest. My room mate from Alaska got a lg about a year ago. 

Once they eat some food from the egg they crumble like a cookie. 
    Damn he was excited....thought he was going to go straight home and cook a 32lb brisket...is he on here yet?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,319
    The food and adult supervisory beverage/SWMBO escape clause are more than reason enuf-put that on top of a function like Salado and the deal is done.  Just manage (or not) the Kool-Aid cocktail and it is quite the game changer.  Welcome to all!!!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Not yet. Yet!
  • Deckhand
    Deckhand Posts: 318
    If you get the spider/stone (comes with Customer Combo from CGS) you will never need the platesetter.  My platesetter became a huge paperweight the day I got the combo.  
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Worse thing about the spider/stone set-up (which im getting) is that the indirect stone is 13" therefore you should only use a 13" pizza stone opposed to the 16" pizza stone...I think?

The pizza stone is supposed to be the same size or smaller than the indirect stone.
    Some don't even use a indirect stone and do there pizzas straight on the ext rig on a single stone.

Nothing wrong with this set up I just would like a bigger pizza that's all without having to buy two more stones.
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).