Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Toronto - Stoker Set-up for Sale - $200

Options

Saw this add on Kijiji...

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-home-outdoor-bbqs-outdoor-cooking-Stoker-BBQ-Temperature-Controller-Pit-Minder-W0QQAdIdZ463181126

I have a Cyber Q wifi - or I'd be telling you all about my new Stoker!

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

Comments

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,512
    Options
    Wow, that's an amazing deal.  I think I know who the seller is, he's in my neck of the woods and one of the nicest persons I've met through the old forum.
    canuckland
  • meister5
    meister5 Posts: 20
    Options
    That is a good deal. I just picked up a WIFI model up when I was down in the states. Used it first time on a pork shoulder on Friday and it worked perfect. If you bought it just for the spare parts you would still be money ahead. Hmm this is something to consider.
    Meadow Lake Sk. LBGE, Stoker, Adjustable rig.
  • Bjorg
    Bjorg Posts: 241
    Options
    Thanks for the opportunity. 

I have a BBQ guru DigiQDX2 for XL and recently had a friend of mine buy a used large egg. He needs a temp controller. I miss not having the wifi and internet capabilities so I could buy this kit and sell him my guru. 

What are the differences between this and the BBQ guru products like the DigiQ and cyberQ wifi? 
    I see this is in a plastic box, so its not waterproof like the Guru is?

Quebec - Canada
  • Bjorg
    Options
    Also, please confirm weather I can use my current 10 CFM viper fan with the Stocker for my XL and my buddy can use the 5 CFM stocker fan with the guru for his large? 

Quebec - Canada
  • Bjorg
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Finally (hopefully lol) can I use my actual D-Link broadband wifi router or do I need the Airport Express? 

Quebec - Canada
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Wow, that's an amazing deal.  I think I know who the seller is, he's in my neck of the woods and one of the nicest persons I've met through the old forum.

It's not me Gary...but I'm not nice either

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Canugghead
    Options
    Haha Steven, I wasn't thinking of you, not because you aren't nice though, can't comment on that  :D
    canuckland
  • Bjorg
    Options
    Ugh, after making some research, I would need a new router, a new 10 CFM fan ($120) + adapter ($15) for XL. All this only to get internet/wifi feature. My buddy would also need another fan. 

Consequently, I will have my buddy buy it as is for his Large and I will keep asking my wife whats the temp on the egg as I prepare the food in the kitchen lol. 

Quebec - Canada
  • Canugghead
    edited March 2013
    Options
    @Borg, here's some crazy, wishful thinking ... do it at your own risk :D
    what about cutting the fan wires and cross-over... i.e. stoker plug with guru fan and vice versa!
    As for the router, pick up a used, inexpensive router that's DD-WRT compatible; visit this site for info on DD-WRT  http://www.dd-wrt.ca/site/support/router-database
    I've seen them at Value Village for $5.  Install DD-WRT firmware on the router and you're good to go!
    btw, do you live near Mississauga?

canuckland
  • Bjorg
    Options
    I like how you think Canugghead!  Problem is the XL requires a 10 CFM fan.

Good to know regarding the router though, it will be useful down the road. 

I am in Quebec, near Montreal. 
    Quebec - Canada
  • Canugghead
    edited March 2013
    Options
    unless I'm missing something, here's my thinking ...

current configs:
    10 cfm viper fan mounted on XL adapter controlled by guru
    5 cfm stoker fan mounted on L adapter controlled by stoker

after fan/plug cross-over:
    10 cfm viper fan still mounted on XL adapter controlled by stoker - for your XL
    5 cfm stoker fan still mounted on L adapter controlled by guru - for your friend's L

no?
    canuckland
  • Bjorg
    Options
    My bad, you are right! Emailing the manufacturer to double check. 
    Quebec - Canada
  • Canugghead
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Personally, I bought my stoker with two 5 cfm fans mounted on 1S and 1L adapters.  Recently I bought an XL egg.  I'm actually thinking of jury-rigging an XL adaptor with an aluminum plate that'll allow me to piggy-back the S adaptor over it; it'll allow me to find out if the 5 cfm can drive the XL.  I can't justify the cost of a new 10 cfm fan, XL adapter, shipping and taxes/duties.
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Bjorg said:
    My bad, you are right! Emailing the manufacturer to double check. 
    I hope it's do-able.  The stoker plug has MAC address built in, but as far as the fan is concerned it should run as long as there's power with proper voltage, it doesn't care whether it came from stoker or guru!
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Not so good news (based on my non-electrician opinion)...

in this thread Hatch mentioned guru blower is 12V

just checked my 5 cfm stoker blower and it's rated at 5V, 0.57A
    canuckland
  • Bjorg
    edited March 2013
    Options
    All right, thanks for looking it up for me. 

My buddy doesn't have that kind of budget, so feel free to buy it people as we are passing on this one. 
    Quebec - Canada