Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Carwash Mikes ish

njl
njl Posts: 1,123
I decided to sort of try the Carwash Mike's method...but not exactly as described. 

I got a 3-pack of baby backs at Costco yesterday.  I half-prepped them last night (coated with mustard/ketchup/worcestershire mix) and wrapped them up.

Today, I got the fire going, dropped in a few chunks of apple and cherry, plate setter legs up, grid, and inverted v-rack.  I sprinked the ribs with my dry rub, and put them in the egg, which had been going a little more than 30 minutes and was at about 250F.  Adding the cold ribs brought it down to 220F, but I left it alone and it came back up to 250F after a while. 

I misted them with 50:50 apple cider / apple cider vinegar at the 1hr and 2hr marks.  I'm not using a drip pan.

I'm hoping the slightly higher heat will speed things up just a little, because I didn't get them started til around 2pm.

Comments

• Post some pix!
    Flint, Michigan
  • njl
    I was just thinking that.  They're nearly done now...doing the finish.
  • njl
    These were actually really good.  At least as good as any ribs I've done on the egg, turbo or slow.

I was in such a hurry, unlike most low & slows, I didn't keep any notes, but did follow the recipe pretty closely except as already noted.

The outside picture kind of sucks...it was getting dark.

I made too many fries too...or enough for leftovers since we ate less than 1/3 of the ribs.

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Looks great! I did the exact recipe a couple of weeks ago for the first time and loved them, I think Carwash Mike would be proud. Great leftovers for you this week! 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • njl
    Night one they were excellent.  I warmed some up tonight in the microwave and was not as happy...starting to dry out.  I'm thinking for the final night tomorrow, brush on some more sauce, seal in foil, and put in a 350F oven for 30-60 min.
  • njl
    One other problem I noticed with cooking full slabs of ribs (I'd always cut them in half and done them standing up in a rib rack previously) is that the bits that overhung beyond the plate setter seemed to get a little overheated.  I guess I should have put down some folded HDAF on the grid as a buffer in those areas?
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    njl said:
    One other problem I noticed with cooking full slabs of ribs (I'd always cut them in half and done them standing up in a rib rack previously) is that the bits that overhung beyond the plate setter seemed to get a little overheated.  I guess I should have put down some folded HDAF on the grid as a buffer in those areas?
    That is the easiest way to do it. I use an adjustable rig with the largest size ceramic stone in my XL. It covers enough area that I do not need to use any foil, but still do to be safe as I like the ends of the slabs to be like the rest and not burned.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    njl said:

That is why @tjv from CGS made the oval stone setup for the adjustable rig. If ribs are a normal cook for you this setup is nice.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013