Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg Carten help please

2»

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited March 2013
    lloydey said:
    I would love one of these in the UK, Anyone willing to post a mini carten to the UK?

Be glad to pass to Scott Lewis who makes them. Now done.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    Started up my new Mini today and had it settle in at about 350*. The Egg was sitting directly on the Egg Carten. Using my Thermoworks IR thermometer, the Carten never exceeded 120+/- degrees. This seems to be in line with the readings Scott has measured. Still need to be careful with what the Carten sits on, I suppose, but the aluminum just does not seem to get to a very hight temp.

Springram]
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Mickey said:
    Turns out @Nolaegghead is more than just a pretty face.
    You shoulda seen me Sunday morning
    b-(
  • Mickey, I have cooked on my mini in the carten for over a year without feet, tiles, bricks or anything...guess I just didn't know any better...it has worked like a charm...have set it on concrete to cook, set it on a picnic table without a hitch... and have turned the carten upside down to get it to the right height to cook on...bought a small carten for the small to travel in the rv...

there has not been a problem... Now are you guys telling me I need some more STUFF to buy to go with the egg...my wife is gonna kill me!!!  :)

Rockwall Texas, just east of Dallas where the humidity and heat meet! Life is too short to get caught in the fast lane behind somebody slow!

XL, LG, Sm, Mini and Weber for drink holder

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Mickey routinely cooks on a table of gasoline soaked rags. 
    f

Mickey, I have cooked on my mini in the carten for over a year without feet, tiles, bricks or anything...guess I just didn't know any better...it has worked like a charm...have set it on concrete to cook, set it on a picnic table without a hitch... and have turned the carten upside down to get it to the right height to cook on...bought a small carten for the small to travel in the rv...

there has not been a problem... Now are you guys telling me I need some more STUFF to buy to go with the egg...my wife is gonna kill me!!!  :)

Come on, have the fun is buying crap.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025

Mickey routinely cooks on a table of gasoline soaked rags. 

I thought his ham was ethanol free...gave me gas.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Mickey
    edited March 2013
    :-??

• Mickey
    Mat just got here. This should give me freedom to set anywhere and cook, and slip protection and setting down hard on a surface. image

• Springram
    Mickey,
    Your daughter, class of '93 Ag, most likely will not approve of the color of the mat.
    LBGE and Mini
  • Mickey
    Springram said:
    Mickey, Your daughter, class of '93 Ag, most likely will not approve of the color of the mat.
    My daughter most likely will not approve of anything by her father. The age of 13 to (let's see, she is 41 now) some age in the future, they dont approve of a lot..... But if I had been able to get another color, ok the orange works....

• Mickey
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    +1 for ingenuity on your part.
    Seattle, WA
  • slewis
    slewis Posts: 7

Loks good Mickey.

Will be anxious to hear your thoughts on a high temp cook. Should work really nice.

• CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    @Mickey - have you cooked with the mat in your Eggcarten yet? How did it hold up?
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • Mickey
    CPARKTX said:
    @Mickey - have you cooked with the mat in your Eggcarten yet? How did it hold up?

Still got a little hot on bottom but not near what it did without. I told Joan to order the 1/2 inch style.

• Springram
    Obviously, it makes a difference what king of table the Carten is sitting on. The heat on my set up just seems to pass through. 

LBGE and Mini
  • Hic
    Hic Posts: 350

@Mickey any updates on the silicone mat under the Mini? I figure while we're in some down time waiting for Egg Carten production again I could do some prep purchases.

Thanks

Large, medium, small and a mini. Egg'n, golfing, beer drinking, camping and following football and baseball.
    Atlanta NOTP suburbia.

• Mickey
    Hic said:

@Mickey any updates on the silicone mat under the Mini? I figure while we're in some down time waiting for Egg Carten production again I could do some prep purchases.

Thanks

Will try to remember and check tonight.

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Mickey
    IMO I would pass on  this. Take a look at page one of this post at what I ordered. Near the bottom of the page.

• Thatgrimguy
    Mickey said:
    IMO I would pass on  this. Take a look at page one of this post at what I ordered. Near the bottom of the page.
    CAn you post a link to it. I see a picture, but no way to get to the actual webpage.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Thatgrimguy
    Should be the same thing. Just baking silicone. I have used that stuff for years in the oven. Expensive ones and cheap ones all seemed to do fine. (cheap ones you can taste, but who cares for this use)
  • Hic
    Hic Posts: 350
    @mickey, no issues with it melting to the bottom of the min?

Large, medium, small and a mini. Egg'n, golfing, beer drinking, camping and following football and baseball.
    Atlanta NOTP suburbia.

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167

Mickey inspired me to order one of these silicone pads in the 1/2 inch thickness.

Now it's egg, then a ceramic foot in each corner of the Carten sitting on the silicone.

No heat problems at all.

Mickey, you said earlier you were going to try cementing the silicone pad to the under side of the Carten.  Can you bring the rest of up to date on that?  

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Mickey
    edited June 2013
    @jaydub58 I like your idea better than mine. The pic below is a dozen cooks. Not going to work. But if I do what you are doing on the inside and glue the thin orange to the bottom outside I may be in business. imageimage

• Mickey
    Hic said:
    @mickey, no issues with it melting to the bottom of the min?

Well not to the bottom of the Mini :-B

• flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    You are all going to think I'm crazy but I will carry that as a badge of honor.  You may want to try autoclaved aerated concrete (AAC).  Very lightweight, Highly Insulative, and can't burn.  I worked for a company that made it.  You could probably get some free samples from a company called Aercon in Florida.  Or Hebel in San Antonio.  You can cut it with a saw, screw into it, whatever you want. We used to cut 1" thick steel with a torch then put the torch on the AAC for several minutes.  The opposite side with still as cool as a cucumber.  There are some videos on you tube with the AAC torch demo.
    Milton, GA.
  • flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665

Been on the road but am back.  Here is a you tube video with AAC.  This is the ticket in my book.  Cut to fit the bottom of the Karten and your problem is solved.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAhBuhxhpeU

Milton, GA.