Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kamado (Egg) Restoration Project

Options
Hey All,

Picked up a bit of a project egg to try and get back up and running. It is a medium and and older (I'd estimate early 90's). Here are some pictures from the craigslist ad that I picked it up from...

Here is it at home next to my Large BGE...

Hoping to keep the project cost as low as possible. I paid $40 for it which I think is a good start.

The base and dome are in great shape. The Fire Ring can be saved, I think (crossing fingers). The firebox was too far gone... Broke into over 10 pieces and missing a large chunk. The nest needs to be cleaned up and probably some new caster wheels and hardware but overall good shape.

Missing pieces are pretty much all metal (bands, draft door, daisy wheel), damper and it needs a firebox. 
If anyone has any of these items they are looking to sale for a decent price let me know. Cracked or chipped ceramic pieces that you already had replaced taking up room in the garage... I'll take it off your hands :)

Stayed tuned for progress on this.

Comments

• deekortiz3
    Options
    Update for today:

Picked up one piece for the egg... Since I am trying to keep cost to a minimum I expect to do a lot of refurbishing and fixing of parts that I pick up. This Daisy Wheel is no exception...

Thanks to Smitty at Eggs By The Bay! If you are in the Northern California and have an egg highly recommend checking the shop out...  www.EggsByTheBay.com

Considering weather to use the collar and fab something up for the daisy wheel or just weld the piece back on. 

Also got the epoxy on the 3 cracks in the Fire Ring...

We'll see how that come out tomorrow. Originally it also had some metal and wire going around the ring that was helping to keep it intact. Not sure if I will add something like that back but it shouldn't be needed.
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,141
    Options
    Interested in how this progresses - keep us updated!
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• quacker
    quacker Posts: 10
    Options
    Interested in how this progresses - keep us updated!

+1 to that,  loving to see the progress..

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Looks like you have an old earthenware (not ceramic) Imperial Kamado that someone probably painted and put into an old Egg nest. I have a Large IK project (or it would be if I actually worked on it) and can see many similarities like the broken wire around the fire ring:

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

And the charcoal "grate": Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

It looks like the dome on yours has the same strange groove in the side that would be covered if you had a band for it. Check the dome for Japanese characters around where you would normally find an Egg dome thermo.

Here's what mine looked like when I brought it home: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Here's a link to an IK manual at the Naked Whiz site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/oldmanuals/showik91.htm?I6

Looking forward to seeing how yours comes out. Richard Fl might chime in with some tips as he restored a couple of kamados (I sent him the scissor bands from my IK). Good Luck!
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • deekortiz3
    deekortiz3 Posts: 60
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Wow Thanks R2,

I actually went and saw a pretty mint 90's IK today. I saw it because the ad only said Big Green Egg Kamado cooker and I was hoping I might be able to get parts from it. Turned out to be an IK in great shape. They wanted too much for it but crazy to think it was the same cooker. 

This explains why the nest seems a bit too big for it and the orange is seeping through in some areas. 

Do you know if the holes for the draft door on the IK match the BGE? I eyeballed mine and the holes looked to be exactly the same as my LBGE.

My Fire Grate and Fire Ring are definitely identical to your pictures. Thanks for helping me figure out exactly what I have. I'll check for the Japanese characters in the morning.  
  • deekortiz3
    Options
    I've also always wondered about the temperatures these can take. I find it interesting that the original instructions show you how to set the dampers for 500 and even 700 degrees but everyone always says to only use these for low and slow sub-500 degree cooks. 

Is the lower temperatures just precautionary due to age?
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    My father had one starting in the late '60s (saw them in Asia during WWII) and he never did a low and slow in his life. High temp cooks only. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Have done 2.
    Kamado, "TEN BUCKS", Richard Fl.

Went to an estate sale this am and this jumped in the car, actually have to pick it up tomorrow. Previous owner had rigged it for propane and the bands are nasty rust and will have to be cleaned. My Dr would kill me, just had left hip replaced 3 weeks ago, if he knew I was at garage sales rather then home recovering from my surgery. **************For $10 could not resist. What have I become the new owner of? **************** My friend said that if I could not restore it she would have a nice flower pot by the pool. I washed it and scrubbed with stiff brush. The clay interior was in pieces so I carefully removed them and used JB Weld to put back together. What a mess. Had the stand and bands sandblasted, repainted with high temp BBQ black. For the outside paint since I was not going to take the dome temp above 375F I used a green fleck from Lowe's about $10/can 3 or 4 cans forgot. New gasket. Total restoration cost around $150. Use it for lo/slo.

Recipe Type
    Equiptment/Toys

Recipe Source

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=733517&catid=1

BGE, Kamado, Restoration Project # 2

Blasted estate sales!!! Yesterday my friend, "Lambchop" and I were at an estate sale of a gentleman who had lived 40 years in Japan and this was in the back yard for $10. An original kamado complete with Japanese characters inside the pot. Another "Ten Bucks". Think I will call this one "DITTO".

1 The Raws
    2 Link to previous project.
    3 http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=733517&catid=1
    4 P.S.
    5 If any one has the old scissor bands from a large taking up space in storage, I would be happy to provide another home, will trade spices/seasonings.

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1088895&catid=1

BGE, Kamado, Black Beauty, Richard Fl

Note
    1 John Yee who provided the band.: When I decided that some of the surface area needed to be built up on the bottom and then I broke the top, bah I started to take a putty knife to all the ceramic on the bottom and easily peal it off. then I placed with the cement. That cement I used I had several pieces that were peeling off the bottom and after my accident with the top I just bought a can $6-8 at Lowes. Mix a little cup or so at a time as it has a fast set up time. Worked it all over and even did the inside of the top.. When I had done an area and it had set a little I took a wet rag and rubbed over lightly to smooth out the finish. It is slightly ruff grainy and after the whole thing was done, I took some 60-80 grit sand paper and just highlighted the finish, So far I am happy at this stage of the project.

Recipe Type
    Equiptment/Toys

Recipe Source

Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2011/09/22**

Egghead Forum, Stike 2012/06/02: Dont confuse high dome temps with high temps You can sear at 1200 on that with no issues How? With a dome temp 400-500 and lump somewhat close to the grid, either by lowering the grid or filling with lump Lump burns at 1200 or more, even when your dome says 250. Your eggs will sear just fine. Some folks as a rule sear at 400 dome anyway So why do people claim you cant cook in that hing at decent temps? Dunno. Most of them dont own one, and are repeating admonitions that keep getting repeated simlly because they get repeated so often The danger with the old earthenware kamados (whether yours is a BGE brand is irrelevant. It IS an old kamado) is that they can absorb water and experience cracking either through freeze/thaw (dont leave it outside in the winter), or from taking to crazy temps after periods of long soaking rains Keep temps moderate (say 500 max), and have a ball. If you are considering making it a planter, you'll be ruining it anyway. Better to 'ruin' it by actually using it. But i'm betting you wont ruin it at all. The original owner didnt A high temp paint will keep the rain off. The new eggs are made of a different ceramic and are glazed (effectively, glass-coated). But by painting yours (they were originally pained) and using it at less than skyrocket temps, you'll certainly be able to use it just like the original egg owners did. Check the Naked Whiz's site for an original owner's manual

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1156764&catid=1

• R2Egg2Q
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Wow Thanks R2,

I actually went and saw a pretty mint 90's IK today. I saw it because the ad only said Big Green Egg Kamado cooker and I was hoping I might be able to get parts from it. Turned out to be an IK in great shape. They wanted too much for it but crazy to think it was the same cooker. 

This explains why the nest seems a bit too big for it and the orange is seeping through in some areas. 

Do you know if the holes for the draft door on the IK match the BGE? I eyeballed mine and the holes looked to be exactly the same as my LBGE.

My Fire Grate and Fire Ring are definitely identical to your pictures. Thanks for helping me figure out exactly what I have. I'll check for the Japanese characters in the morning.  

Eyeballing mine they appear to be the same but I can't measure my LBGE right now as it is full of hot lump. If you're thinking of getting a MBGE stainless draft door it might fit. There's a guy named swamprb who has restored many kamados including a med IK (but the "Modern" style - not the same as yours) and he put in a SS BGE draft door: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/508182/orphan-eggs-family-portrait

I'd suggest taking measurements on yours and then compare to measurements on a MBGE.

The fireboxes are noticeably different in comparing Large IK to LBGE. Close enough for me to put in BGE parts. If you get a BGE firebox, compare the diameter of a MBGE CI fire grate to your IK grate. On the L size they're quite different. Here's some comparison pics of LBGE innards vs IK: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

LBGE parts in my IK: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • deekortiz3
    edited March 2013
    Options
    You are right about the fit not being quite exact. The BGE firebox is narrow at the bottom and top. Definitely functional though so works great for me. 

I have one of those Fire Grates from Ebay on the way. I have tried all the others in my LBGE so I thought I'd give one of those a try.

Same with the draft door but looks like it will work great. 

• R2Egg2Q
    Options
    You're not wasting any time!

In regards to cooking temps, I'd received a tip before to break the Kamado in slowly over a few burns with very little lump or briquettes and gradually work up to normal levels. The guy who told me this had one that had been left out in the rain and it oozed moisture. Ultimately, I don't intend to use mine for any cooks over 350 and will take my time getting mine there.

Bay Area, CA
  • deekortiz3
    Options
    Go in to get Charcoal and end up leaving with most of the parts I need. :)) 

I guess this will be going to together quicker than anticipated. I have the bands as well just didn't take a pic of them. Going to work on cleaning up the nest today and maybe start prepping it and the Kamado for paint.
  • deekortiz3
    edited March 2013
    Options
    R2,

Where are you measuring your temps from? I am wondering because I think the next burn I will throw my pizza stone in so I can actually get an accurate temperature though the dome. Since I feel like my temps are registering really high just due to flame. 

For paint I have seen a few guys throw down a base of very high heat BBQ paint before laying on another color of high heat paint. Is there any tangible benefit to this? I can't imagine that it would have much of an impact but I could be wrong.

Also, Through the dome the highest my burn yesterday got to was 560F. Flame going directly up to the probe through so I assume it is reading a bit hight but my JB Welded fire ring went from grey to a nice burnt brown and is holding up great. I assume this is good since when I have seen the JB Weld fail it had turned white and flaked away. 
  • R2Egg2Q
    Options
    I've measured only at the grate with an oven thermo.

I think the two color paint process is purely cosmetic. I still need to do a minor patch on mine & paint it.

I haven't needed JB Weld but understand it has a heat limit that can be exceeded if in close proximity to lump. I've seen someone put high temp furnace cement over the JB Weld but not sure if that held up.

Bay Area, CA
  • deekortiz3
    Options
    Cool, good to know. 

I planned on using the furnance cement over the fire ring it if I start to see the JB Weld fail. So far so good though. 
  • deekortiz3
    Options
    Rain put a damper on any work I was going to do today but remember that nearly mint Kamado I mentioned checking out the other day while looking around for parts...

I am its new owner :)

• R2Egg2Q
    Options
    Congrats! It looks to be in great shape. Any idea of its age?

Bay Area, CA
  • deekortiz3
    Options
    Thanks R2,

I'd guess that the 1991 manual on the Naked Whiz site would have accompanied this Kamado. I'm basing that on the draft door style and the grill lift tool that came with it.
  • deekortiz3
    Options
    Been busy this past week and weekend so it has taken some time to get more work done but I finally made some progress today...

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    I'm with @Fred19Flintstone and am enjoying the restoration progress! 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    word, I dont comment, nothing to add, but look at it every update!!

XLBGE 
  • deekortiz3
    Options
    Thanks guys! 

I am hoping to get some more work done this week so hopefully you will actually see some updates. 

Some details on painting the dome....
    Lightly sanded
    Cleaned of all debris and dust
    Plugged the top hole with a safety cone (worked great)
    Ended up with 5-6 coats of Dupli-Color Engine Paint with Ceramic (Chrysler Hemi Orange) 

Orange actually was an original color for the cooker (pretty sure it was two tone but couldn't figure out the 2nd color unless it was just a silver-ish gray)

Was going to call the project "That thing got a Hemi?" but I have a different idea I might give a try now.

• R2Egg2Q
    Options
    I've had mine for over 2 years and have been progressing at a snails pace. I find your progress inspiring @deekortiz3. How many cans of paint have you gone through and how many more do you think you'll need? I need to pick out a color or two and buy some paint.

Bay Area, CA
  • deekortiz3
    Options
    I went through 1 full can and probably a quarter of another can painting the dome. 

I have what is left of that can and another full can right now... Probably going to pick up one more as an extra just in case. So I would have 4 on hand for the whole project.
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Looking good!
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • R2Egg2Q
    Options
    Looks good! Thx for the info on the paint.

Bay Area, CA
  • deekortiz3
    edited March 2013
    Options
    My pick for a thermometer... 

I don't think I will be taking this thing higher than the 550 this one goes up to and it will be nice to have some lower readings for making jerky, cheese, bacon etc.

The 4 inch stem will hopefully be long enough to not throw off inaccurate readings like the 2.5 inch one.
  • deekortiz3
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Easter (Egg) Update!

Draft door is installed. As cool as this looks now, the finish is already scratched up from just basic door moving. I will just chalk up all the scratches in the powder coat as character lol.