Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help on my Brisket

Wimbo1029
Wimbo1029 Posts: 15
Seems to be a common question.  11# packer brisket on a Large BGE.
I have been cooking it for about 14-15 hours, with a temp setting of 225F using a DigiQ to hold the temperature.
The internal temp on the flat has been stuck in the 175-178 range for the last few hours. 
I am getting paranoid... Seems like this should be a 12-14 hour cook, 
Time to troubleshoot, or do I just need to be patient?
Thanks!

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    My guess is that your guru probe is in a hotter spot of the cooker, so you are running a bit lower than 225. Moving the probe to a different spot of the cooker, and perhaps closer to the meat will help with your troubleshooting. At this stage, it may not be a bad idea to wrap in foil to finish it up.

Good luck!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • chainsaw19
    chainsaw19 Posts: 257
    I put one on last night at 11, dome temp 250, temp reached 190 at 2:00 pm today, held at 160 for quite a while this morning but once I got passed 165 I saw decent progress
    Large BGE Middletown, MD
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    You are in the stall, relax. IF you need to speed it up, wrap in foil and raise the temp.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942

In my opinion, 225 grate temp is a little low.  I like to be at 250 grid (about 275 dome).  Otherwise you're cooking foreeeeever.  No noticeable difference in finished product bumping it up a little higher.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Wimbo1029
    Wimbo1029 Posts: 15
    Thanks for the advice.  I wrapped it in foil & adjusted the temps up to 250. 
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    You can go to 300 if you want, put some beef broth in the foil and let it cook that way. Probe for doneness at 195 and it can take till 205 sometimes higher before it slides in and out like butter.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."