Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pizza problem

Last night I cooked pizzas. I tried a new crust recipe out of a vitamix cookbook. The bottom of the pizzas burned badly. The setup and temp were the same I've used on the countless pizza cooks I've done. My go-to crust recipe doesn't call for sugar but I 've found it much chewier than I like the past few times using the caputo flour in the red bag. I wanted to try a new crust recipe so the one out of the vitamix cookbook sounded interesting. Could the addition of sugar make that much of a difference? Thanks.

Comments

• mb99zz
    mb99zz Posts: 183
    That's interesting.  I wouldn't think sugar would cause that, but I'm no expert.  Was there excess flour on the dough from forming it and placing it on the peel? 
  • jerryp
    jerryp Posts: 232
    mb99zz said:
    That's interesting.  I wouldn't think sugar would cause that, but I'm no expert.  Was there excess flour on the dough from forming it and placing it on the peel? 
    Nope. I always use corn meal. The only difference was the crust itself. The procedure and setup was all the same.
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Yes. The addition of sugar certainly could cause the burn. Also, does the new crust contain olive oil and the old not? That could cause it, too. 

New York style, made to be baked in ovens of about 550, uses bread flour, yeast, water, salt, sugar and oil. Neapolitan style uses just 00 flour, yeast, water and salt; these you bake at 800+. Cold fermentation of at least 24 hours improves the taste of both.

The sugar and oil stimulate the browning you get at very high temps. What temp was the egg? 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    What jlsm said.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    You tried something new -- thats a good thing!  It didn't come out as well as your original dough - thats and bad thing!  But you still have your original dough recipe - thats a good thing!!!
  • jerryp
    jlsm said:

Yes. The addition of sugar certainly could cause the burn. Also, does the new crust contain olive oil and the old not? That could cause it, too. 

New York style, made to be baked in ovens of about 550, uses bread flour, yeast, water, salt, sugar and oil. Neapolitan style uses just 00 flour, yeast, water and salt; these you bake at 800+. Cold fermentation of at least 24 hours improves the taste of both.

The sugar and oil stimulate the browning you get at very high temps. What temp was the egg? 
    I always cook at 600 degrees. Plate setter legs down with pizza stone propped up on the ceramic feet.
  • jerryp
    Here's a photo of the pie as I was preparing to pull it off.
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    No other variables? Stone heating for longer? Must be the sugar, then. I always use sugar, though, and my pies haven't burned. Maybe the gods weren't with you that night. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • jerryp
    I thought about it more and I remembered I did use a different corn meal. I cant imagine that making much of a difference.