Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Food handling during fests

Fest season is in full swing as of this weekend. I wanted to pass along some info. I have a close friend who is an egger. He & his wife came to their first fest last year as tasters. Afterward when I asked how they liked the fest they said for the most part it was good. However, they noticed several cooks mishandling food ie not wearing gloves, not cleaning knives or cutting boards when going from one food type to another, etc.

I am passing this along because as cooks we get rushed sometimes and we might forget some safety does & don'ts. We also forget that people are watching us prep & serve our food.

Please use common sense and try to wear gloves when handling food. Wash your serving & cutting utensils when moving from one food group to another...and be aware as cooks you are being watched....

BTW our friends (who are not the squemish type) will not be coming back to any fests because of what they observed...

Just an FYI.....

Comments

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I recently attended a food judging class and felt the same way! They pass the food around the judging table and everyone is digging into the food boxes, then licking their fingers and going on to the next food box. Rules are rules, but it just isn't the right way to handle food.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I recently attended a food judging class and felt the same way! They pass the food around the judging table and everyone is digging into the food boxes, then licking their fingers and going on to the next food box. Rules are rules, but it just isn't the right way to handle food.
    Ewwww.... I hope none of the candidates had OCD.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Just consider the judging box of pulled pork, each judge is passed the box and with their fingers take some of the pulled pork? This after already judging chicken thighs and ribs with most everyone licking their fingers. Just should be a better way!
  • Mauch5
    Mauch5 Posts: 33
    Did anyone get sick? 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited March 2013
    Last year at the Salado Fest I had cut both hands so well that both gloves were full of blood. I just kept adding layers of gloves..... I did learn that I can not talk and cut crap at the same time.....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    A year or two ago I watched an episode of an Anne Burrell show on Food Network where she was making some kind of meat dish, and basically went around her entire kitchen touching meat ( I think chicken), spice containers, cupboards, plates over and over without once washing her hands. Practically made me puke.

Its not cool (or healthy) to be unsanitary while prepping food at home or at a fest. However, @vidalia1 your friends may want to give other eggfests a chance?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.