Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

calzone's. had too

After seeing the calzones that @Dyal_SC did I said to myself I need a stone. Got the stone the other day and decided on calzones. Put chicken, peppers, red onion, broccoli, feta, parmesan, garlic, cream cheese, and pepper. I had store bought dough( still have to try to make my own sometime). Then put it on the egg. Went on a little cooler then I wanted ( around 350) friends stopped by and beer was involved. So I let the calzones stay on a lit longer till they had a nice crust.They turned out really good. I will be doing these again.

Comments

• Boy those look delicious.  Have to try these instead of pizza some time soon.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Look's great! On my list.

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    Thanks. They were good I would definitely recommend them
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Yours look great but the thing I think made Dyal's so good was the Ricotta. Try that next time instead of the cream cheese. I think you will be happy you did!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • canegger
    Ya I'll have to try it with that next time. Thanks. @SmokinDAWG82
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Look great! Next time use ricotta in them. That is the best ingredient in calzones. Ditch the cream cheese. Mash the edges of the dough (top half and bottom half) together to hold in the stuffing. Then use sharp knife and cut slits in top to allow heat get in there and cook inside before crust gets burned. Well done. I have found they get better every time you make them. To get a nice golden crust brush with a egg wash.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    Now that is a nice looking calzone! Well done, and I will be trying one very soon.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• canegger
    Thanks @Chubbs. I was wondering if the slots would help.
    @michigan_jason thanks they were good and I definitely recommend doing them
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Chubbs said:
    Look great! Next time use ricotta in them. That is the best ingredient in calzones. Ditch the cream cheese. Mash the edges of the dough (top half and bottom half) together to hold in the stuffing. Then use sharp knife and cut slits in top to allow heat get in there and cook inside before crust gets burned. Well done. I have found they get better every time you make them. To get a nice golden crust brush with a egg wash.
    @Chubbs, I understand cutting the slits to let steam escape.  My question is, do you still flip the calzone and have the slits facing down, or do you just leave the slits up?  TIA
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    I'm sure Chubbs will be back but I never flip calzone or stromboli. Just let them bake.
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Chubbs
    Nope, no flipping. Let the hot stone take care of cooking bottom and the dome will take care of the top. Slits will let the steam escape and allow a crispier calzone. Egg wash will give the golden brown top. @Dyal_SC is the eggspert on these. I am merely a copycat. B-)
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    edited March 2013
    You want about a 50/50 mix of ricotta and good quality grated mozzarella cheese. My favorite ingredient is making small spicy meatballs on skillet on the egg and throwing them in with your cheese mix along with plenty of garlic and some Italian herbs.

Slits allow steam to escape so it doesn't blow out the seem and make a mess of cheese.
    Dunedin, FL
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    And don't flip. Those slits won't like that.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Chubbs
    I made stuffed manicotti last night (not on egg so didn't post it). Stuffing was spicy Italian sausage, ricotta, fresh grated mozzarella, grated Parmesan, parsley, garlic, salt, pepper. After I stuffed the manicotti I had a good bit of stuffing leftover. Going to make a calzone for lunch today and use this stuffing. Stuffing possibilities are endless but the ricotta blended with other cheese gives it the creamy texture we love about calzones.