Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prices

2»

Comments

• chad408
    chad408 Posts: 140
    Pliny said:

Hi,

I have been looking for a used Egg for a year without luck, so have decided to spend the money for a new.  I m in a small town with 1 dealer, and the next dealer is about 1 hour away.  The prices fo new Eggs aren't well advertised, so I don't know if I am getting taken to the cleaners here.  What is a solid price for a L or XL?  I was quoted $900 for a large and $1250 for an XL.  I want to buy local as long as I am not being taken advantage of.

Thanks,

Pliny

Here is augusta ga the going rate for a large by itself is 750.00, so 900 seems pretty steep for me.
  • That's just wrong.

HUH? Is it wrong to share if you know of a location that has a good deal? Im lost on how that is wrong.

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I have a retired buddy who loves to cook  -- him and i for many years used to cook big parties on Weber ketltes and offset cookers.  Now this guy is 74 years old and plenty of money.  He was trying to convince his wife he needed an egg???  And i sat her down and had a serious talk about taking the money out of the bank and buying him an egg???  And when she asked me "do they go on sale, or can we go to the factory and buy one?"  i gave up!!!  Today, the cost of travel can quickly change the price of anything.  And considering the enjoyment this guy would get from owning an egg, price would be "no object"!!  BGE can be independent, because thereis little competition  ----- right now.  But it is coming..
  • I paid $1100 for a XL BGE with Nest, Plate Setter, ash tool and 40lb bag of BGE lump Coal. Oh yea and a Drink Coozie ; )
  • I paid $650 for my L egg.  Bought it at Atlanta Stone Works while there for Thanksgiving and drove it home to NOLA.

Cheapest I saw in NOLA for egg only was $775.
    "America has only three cities: New York, San Francisco, and New Orleans. Everywhere else is Cleveland." -Tennessee Williams
  • nashbama
    nashbama Posts: 102
    I paid $800 before tax for the large egg, nest, and plate setter in Tennessee. If the next closest dealer is an hour away, call them and see if they'll offer you a better deal. $900 for a large egg only leaves a lot of negotiating room.

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    I don't think it has been mentioned but have you tried using the Dealer Locator on the Big Green Egg Website? Just type in your zip and call all the places you would travel to. I ended up saving $125 on my small egg doing it that way. But they didn't know anything and installed my hinge upside down which i didn't know till I posted a picture on the forum. No big deal but building a relationship with a local dealer can be worth a couple dollars more in my opinion. I get everything egg related from the place I bought my large from. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Charlie tuna
    I doubt there will ever be BGE STORES around the country, so we will always be faced with being a subproduct per say!!  Always subjected to supply and demand, special pricing,etc., not much competition.  And some store owners will promote the egg products while others just carry a short supply of egg products and have little interest in pushing the sales.  I think someone will come up with a very competitive unit and properly promote them thru some big retail store in the near future. 
  • I doubt there will ever be BGE STORES around the country, so we will always be faced with being a subproduct per say!!  Always subjected to supply and demand, special pricing,etc., not much competition.  And some store owners will promote the egg products while others just carry a short supply of egg products and have little interest in pushing the sales.  I think someone will come up with a very competitive unit and properly promote them thru some big retail store in the near future. 

From what I can tell the best place sales wise is in GA. Atleast from what I can tell. I guess it helps that you have the main distribution location in Lawrenceville. Probably has a little to do on why GA seems to be cheaper on prices than other states from what I have seen. I will say that BGE is pretty strict on their product and the stores that are able to sell their product. I know that there is an outdoor store in my area that carries them at one location but BGE will not let them carry them at their other location because it is too close to another store that carries them. So who knows maybe best bet for BGE is to have their own retail locations and not outsource their business. At this point they have made their name. People are not going to quit buying their product if they pull it back to only being in BGE stores.

• Pliny
    Pliny Posts: 3

Wow....thanks for all the information.  I am in Indiana, and about an hour from Indianapolis.  There is an Eggfest there in a few months.  I was going to go to see some cooking, but if I gather correctly from this thread it is a good time to buy too?  I was rushing because it was going to be nice this weekend and wanted to ge able to use the Egg, but maybe I should wait a few more months.

Thanks again.

Pliny

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    I would wait.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    edited March 2013
    @Pliny I would contact whoever you can that is putting the Eggfest on and see if they have set their prices for the demo Eggs to see how much savings you would be looking at.  Some eggfests have fantastic deals that save you probably 300-400 bucks on the package of the Egg and certain eggcessories.  Others you aren't saving nearly as much.  If the difference between waiting and getting now if you would be getting all the eggcessories anyway is less then 100 bucks go ahead and get it now. It would be a shame to miss out on a few of the best months to grill in the midwest to save a few bucks. Just my two cents.

:D
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • $860 for mine in Michigan just a month ago.  Total sale topped out at $1200 with all the toys, er I mean eggcessories I wanted.  They ended no charging a few that came to about a 6-7% discount.  Checked two other dealers in driving distance and they were about the same.

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Pliny said:

Wow....thanks for all the information.  I am in Indiana, and about an hour from Indianapolis.  There is an Eggfest there in a few months.  I was going to go to see some cooking, but if I gather correctly from this thread it is a good time to buy too?  I was rushing because it was going to be nice this weekend and wanted to ge able to use the Egg, but maybe I should wait a few more months.

Thanks again.

Pliny

be aware they're about to up the prices.
  • WiltOnTilt
    WiltOnTilt Posts: 102
    Got mine a month ago in Kansas City. 1200 with tax got me large, plate setter, ash tool, nest, pizza stone, cast iron grate, and a bag of lump. Dunno if I got taken or not but when I called some places they said the prices are set by manufacturer. I tried to negotiate even after that in person but they held firm.
  • Scottborasjr
    Same experience with my dealer today @WiltOnTilt. I've bought two eggs from him, who knows how much charcoal and smoking wood, and got the same line.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Pliny
    Pliny Posts: 3

For what it's worth, I bought the egg from the local dealer tonight.  I got the large Egg, nest, shelves, plate setter, cast iron grid, charcoal, starter for $1147 plus tax.  The large Egg was $799 by itself after the discount.  I could have save about $50 on it by waiting for an Eggfest in May, but the comment about missing out on a few months of prime grill time pushed me.  Thanks for all the advice.

Pliny

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Good for you. Did you save enough for a camera?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Charlie tuna
    edited March 2013

Hey,.you made the right dicision -- i paid close to that three years ago.  A year from now you can look back and KNOW you did the right thing!!

I honestly think the pulled pork meal we ate tonight was worth fifty bucks alone !!

• bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    Welcome to the cult!
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 558
    Welcome aboard. For what it's worth, having a good rapport with your dealer is worth much more than saving a few bucks on your initial purchase. Have fun with the new egg!

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• Scottborasjr
    Congrats and welcome. Sorry if you blame me for your lighter wallet ;)
  • 900 bucks in bellingham wa stupid west coast prices.
  • EddieK76
    EddieK76 Posts: 416
    I just bought one 2 weeks ago.  849 for a large and 1149 for an XL.  The prices were going up in the next day as well.   I did get 20% off all accessories that day but it was a spendy day :)
    Large BGE

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    edited March 2013
    LBGE only is $699 + tax on sale here in Houston, 20%off all accessories. Recently bought a SBGE for $549 + tax (nest included) 

I think I would hold off on buying any accessories (platesetter, tiered grids, etc) until you have explored the options available (adjustable rig from ceramicgrillstore.com and swing rack from ceramicgrillworks.com for example) I bought a platesetter and BGE folding grid thingy and returned them. Will spend that money on a swing rack at some point in the future instead.

+1 for what @rustypotts said above. Not a bad idea to speak with the other dealer and see if he can cut you a better deal. If one wants your business more than the other, there may be room to negotiate.

And while you're there, make sure you ask about any spare feet they may have lying around. They are not made or included with the BGE anymore.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • EddieK76
    EddieK76 Posts: 416
    caliking said:

And while you're there, make sure you ask about any spare feet they may have lying around. They are not made or included with the BGE anymore.
    I second the spare feet.  I miss mine on my new Egg when making the pizza....And dang Cali I would have loved to be in Houston 2 weeks ago.....Oh well :)
    Large BGE

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Smart move Pliny. After the first few cooks, you would not remember what you paid for it.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,360
    Don't worry about the cost of the egg. You will spend so much on accessories and meat the cost of the egg wont matter!
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario