Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

DigiQ2

Options
Had a quick question that I hoped you folks could help with.  I am going to order something to help my low and slow cooks, and am leaning toward the DigiQ DX2.  When I try to order it, it asks me to add an adapter that cost another 100.00.  I don't mind spending the money if I need to, or if it's required, but since I've never owned one of these, I have no idea.

Can anyone advise me on this before purchase please?

Thanks,

Clay

Comments

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Most of the time when ordering a controller you are ordering three particular pieces: The controller, the adapter that fits your cooker, whether it's a Egg or something else, and then a fan that hooks into the adapter to stoke the fire.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Thought adapters were $30 (+ or -) Its been a year, but sure remember it that way.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    I had a friend mention that about the adapter cost last week.  I checked it out and sure enough he was right.  It looks like something is messed up on their website.  My friend just gave them a call and ordered it.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Mickey
    edited March 2013
    Options

http://www.yardandpool.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=800-1015-000&gdftrk=gdfV2919_a_7c117_a_7c4958_a_7c800_d_1015_d_000&gclid=CIaou_HE9bUCFVGRPAodpncAKQ

Options: BBQ Guru Adaptor
    image image image image image image image image image image image image
    image  | Big Green Egg | Primo [Add $25.00]Big Green Egg - Small Only [Add $25.00]
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I have one, but wish I had a CyberQ instead.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Mickey
    Options
    I have one, but wish I had a CyberQ instead.

Sell it. I sold mine and bought a Party Q. Found I am not smart enough to work both and I do not do overnights anymore.Now going to sell the PartyQ

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    I believe the $100 price is the fan and the adaptor door, different size smokers / grills use different fans so it matches the right fan with the adapter door that fits your egg. I have the Pit Viper 10 cfm fan that works great for both my large and small big green eggs I have adaptor doors for each. Here is the page that shows the fans are $72 and the doors are around $25.

If you are the least bit interested in remotely monitoring your cooks I would look into the CyberQ like @Fred19Flintstone said I have a DigiQ and love it but would use some of the features in the CyberQ.  
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I'm lazy and would like to check my temps while sitting on my butt elsewhere.
    Flint, Michigan
  • ClayK25
    ClayK25 Posts: 6
    Options
    So the 100 dollar price tag is legit?

Clay
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    @solson005 is correct. It must be a glitch in the system. The adapter is like 20-30$ and the fans are around 100$

The unit is around 180$, the fan is around 100$, the adaptor is around 30$, total should be 280-300$ depending on exact prices.

XLBGE 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    @solson005 is correct. It must be a glitch in the system. The adapter is like 20-30$ and the fans are around 100$ The unit is around 180$, the fan is around 100$, the adaptor is around 30$, total should be 280-300$ depending on exact prices.
    That's right.  I bought one about 8 months ago and that's how it broke down.
    edited March 2013
    Options
    This is where my wife ordered mine for our anniversary. What a great SWMBO! http://www.firecraft.com/product/bbq-guru-digiq-dx2-standard-package-ceramic-black/grill-accessories
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    I have one and I love it.  
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Guy on cl here in Nashville has one listed for $245...won't budge. I'm not sure how he'll sell it. Doesn't come up under bge or grill searches.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    I remember when i bought mine three years ago for $265.00 there was an option for 12 volt operation and it was about $90.00 extra.  Could this be what this is???
  • Andymizunogolfer
    Options

I am getting ready to get one myself. I did ribs saturday and for some reason was having a hard time staying below 275.

• Solson005
    Options
    Here is the screenshot I just took from the bbq guru page. It is as I thought, the adapter and the fan in the same package. The "Viper" is the Pit Viper 10 cfm fan and "ceramic" is the standard adapter door that works with the large big green egg. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Andymizunogolfer
    Options

Someone listed a page earlier. It has all the stuff for $265. I am going to purchase from them. I think its Firecraft.com. That is everything needed from what I can tell.

• Solson005
    Options
    I put one together on the BBQ website it was $292 shipped to Oklahoma, so you would save some money, enough to get a pork butt and some ribs to try it out! I would make sure that the warranty is the same (it should be) and they have the color you want, not a huge deal to some, others want a specific color. Either way I really enjoy the DigiQ and use it anytime I cook something longer than 60 minutes. 
  • bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    Options
    That is the one I have Andy (from firecraft) and it is complete.
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!