Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Shoulder Roast

Bob923
Bob923 Posts: 23

I'm doing a Pork Shoulder Roast with bone in.  Any suggestions out there about

Dome Temp

Internal Temp

Estimate of how long it will take

Comments

• lilwooty
    lilwooty Posts: 215
    edited March 2013
    A lot of info on that subject in this forum.  You can do a search on this forum that will display tons of info.  My personal preference is the turbo method.  350 degree dome temp.  My experience has been roughly an hour per pound at that temp to get to an internal temp of 200 degrees.  That is the preferred internal temp for pulled pork by the majority here it seems.  Take it off and foil that bad boy and let it rest for an hour.  The bone should slide right out and the meat should pull easily.  Let us know how it turns out.

Living Large and XL

• flemster
    flemster Posts: 269
    I like it low and slow, this boneless 7 pounder went 14 hours. I don't have a DigiQ or any other eggcessory, like to go old school.  Initial dome temp 250, drifted down to 225 after 8 hours, i opened the vent a tad when I got up and it finished at 250.  I don't open the lid once I put it on until I am ready to pull it off (probe to grill side monitor)  Pulled off at 195-200 internal usually, this one spent 4 hours in a cooler wrapped and insulated to "rest" before I served it.
    @lilwooty I need to try the turbo method someday.....  
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Did my first 'turbo' this weekend and will never go back. 350 Dome until IT reached 165, then foiled for 2 more hours on the Egg, until IT was 200. Let it rest an hour then pull. Great way to do pork.
    ratcheer Posts: 189
    edited March 2013
    I did one this weekend, my best ever.

6 1/2 lb Boston Butt, up to room temp, dried with paper towels, thin coating of canola oil, then dry rubbed with Tony Chachere's Creole seasoning..

When fire ready, put a fist-sized chunk of hickory on top, added plate setter, drip pan half filled with apple juice, cooking grid, roast rack, and the roast, fat side up. I was afraid the dome wasn't going to close, but it did.

Cooked at 275-300 for 5 1/2 hours, never opening the dome. Removed the roast and wrapped in aluminum foil for 45 minutes. Pulled the meat, discarding the worst fat (eating the best). The bone came out absolutely clean.

Like I said, it was my best ever. As good as from any restaurant I have ever had. Better than almost all.

Tim