Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg'd my table and a ?

So tonight I cooked pork chops and squash on the small. Was tired of bending over and the poly was dry so I put the eggs in the table.

First question:
My casters are overloaded. Thought I bought 150 lbs casters and figured that'd be enough. It won't budge. What if I used a floor jack and lifted one side up at a time and replaced with bigger casters.

Second question:
I have one of the dome covers for a large. Anyone seen something to use like that for the small? I do not want a full table cover.

Enjoy and thanks for any suggestions.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

I've still got a few things to do to the table but the eggs won't be in the way and I have ribs planned for Saturday and a tri tip for tomorrow so very excited about being at a workin height.

XLBGE 

Comments

• canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    You should be fine to use a jack on the table. I would put a board across to jack on for better support and strength
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    Looks good dude! I say go ahead and jack her up and install bigger casters.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Nice work
    Seattle, WA
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Looking good! I like the storage shelf / sliders on the bottom nice touch! What do you think about a turkey fryer cover for the small?

I would think the method @canegger suggested would work for the caster replacement. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    @solson005
    That looks awesome. Thanks man!

XLBGE 
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    No problem. I love my pergola but those double egg tables are awesome too! 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Couldn't wait, could you?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Table came out great!  You sure the casters aren't locked?  Pretty sure that setup is under 600 pounds.
    henapple said:

Couldn't wait, could you?

No sir. It was killing me!

@nolaegghead
    Thanks man! Ha they are not locked. I checked, plus I had to roll it from the garage to the porch. I can upgrade casters but I'm worried about height the large is right where it needs to be to grill. A bigger caster would proly make it too high.

I agree its less than 600, but the side with the large will not budge.

XLBGE 
  • nolaegghead
    hahah...just thought I'd ask ;) 

You can upgrade to a larger caster and keep the same height by shortening the legs.  I've done that a few times.  Say you have a 3" caster and go to a 6" (total height from ground to bottom of leg).  Cut off 3" and it'll be the same height.

hahah...just thought I'd ask ;) 

You can upgrade to a larger caster and keep the same height by shortening the legs.  I've done that a few times.  Say you have a 3" caster and go to a 6" (total height from ground to bottom of leg).  Cut off 3" and it'll be the same height.

Good to see you back Nola! You could also just put a paver in front of the large ;-)

Lynnwood WA
  • nolaegghead
    Thanks double - just been busy and subsequently been slacking off on the egg forum.  Right now I'm procrastinating fixing the furnace - I think we drove a nail though the thermostat wire when decking the attic.  It was 54F in the house when I got home today.
    We lived in an apartment in an antebellum home when we first got married. We'd come home from working nights and it'd be colder in te house than it was outside. Dumb land lord never could figure the heating system out. My space heater would read 30's an we'd wake up in the morning and could see our breath. If we wouldn't have been newly weds we'd froze to death! Spent a lot of days crashing at our parents till we could buy a house.

XLBGE 
  • nolaegghead
    "If we wouldn't have been newly weds we'd froze to death!"  hahaha
    Lookin great dude! Well worth the effort.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• MrCookingNurse
    @nolaegghead
    I just bought new casters at lowes, 4 of them, 5'' rated for 375 lbs each.... if this doesnt work nothing will.

I went a little over kill but they were a 1$ more than the 4'' and no matter which ones i bought i was going to have to trim my legs up so why not go big!

XLBGE 
  • henapple
    I put Bridgestone 275/80 R15 on mine...
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Did you brine those chops ??
  • MrCookingNurse
    @charlie tuna

no sir, havnt tried a brine yet

XLBGE 
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    edited March 2013

I recently tried brining some center cut chops and cooked direct - raised grid to 140 degrees and i couldn't believe how much better they came out!!

Brine:  1/4 cup of salt

1/2 cup brown sugar

1/4 cup of rub

To one quart of water------------------------------  six hours in the brine prior to grillin !!! 

• henapple
    Did you finish the table? @MrCookingNurse
  • MrCookingNurse
    @henapple

almost.  the spar worked amazing.  I am going to sand and add another coat this week.  I also want to put some sort of metal on the second shelf for a hot/dirty zone. 

I had both eggs blazzing all day yesterday and it is amazing to have a work surface.  now that I have used it with two eggs i can get the feel of maybe a few more add ons

XLBGE 
  • When I built mine last summer, I used treated 4X4's and treated 2X6's then put a granite top on it with a LBGE.  After about 3 days, I got different casters, removed the egg, the top and tossed the table on its side to change the casters.  Works great now.  You will not be disappointed. 

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)