Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Blackened Redfish

Blackened some Redfish on the egg at 500 degrees. Turned out great. Served with red potatoes, slaw, and hushpuppies.

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Yes please
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    That my friend looks wonderful. I'll take mine with whatever you have on tap. ;)

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Alton
    Alton Posts: 509
    Very nice my Friend
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
  • Que_n_Brew
    Que_n_Brew Posts: 578
    Aghhhhhhhh great cook. The biggest thing I miss living in Dallas is the access to good seafood...at a reasonable price.
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
  • Bham_egger
    Bham_egger Posts: 196
    Aghhhhhhhh great cook. The biggest thing I miss living in Dallas is the access to good seafood...at a reasonable price.
    These Redfish cost about $20 per pound!  HAHA!  Gas, Tackle, Boat upkeep, etc.  But there's nothing like catching your own dinner.
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Looks super, I bet it tasted good.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Que_n_Brew
    Que_n_Brew Posts: 578
    These Redfish cost about $20 per pound!  HAHA!  Gas, Tackle, Boat upkeep, etc.  But there's nothing like catching your own dinner.

Same when I put venison on the grill. After calculating the hunting costs, it's three times what I would spend for prime filet. But yes, there is nothing like the experience.
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Did you cook the redfish with or without the scales?
  • Whaler
    Whaler Posts: 110
    Did you cook the redfish with or without the scales?
    Don't scale...filet only...Redfish On The Half-Shell....MMM
    Pensacola,FL
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Ya, i am going to try that -- this coming week if(?) the redfish cooperate !!
  • scooter759
    scooter759 Posts: 257
    That looks awesome. I'm just getting into the blackening thing. Can't believe I waited so long. Any tips on the seasoning and process? I'm good with the fire/hot pan, just looking for tips on the process. Right now I season with over the counter Cajun stuff and fry in a compound butter with some more Cajun spice in it.
    Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    You can blacken lots of stuff - chicken, any fish fillet, prime rib. 

You want a CI pan at around 600F.  Make sure it's dry.  Little butter on both sides of the food, then 3/4 teaspoon blackened seasoning on one side, then throw on the pan.  Cook for about 4 minutes then sprinkle 3/4 teaspoon on the other side before flipping.   Wipe pan between batches. 

http://www.chefpaul.com/site.php?pageID=300&view=128
    Thanks Nola. So far I've done chicken (Sous vide first) and salmon. Like the idea of butter on the protein instead of in the pan. I guess for the chicken I could ice bath it after SV to keep butter from melting off. I'm using McCormicks Cajun perfect pinch, do you use Chef Paul's?
    Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    @scooter759 I usually make my own seasoning.  It's really easy to make, no weird ingredients. 

I put a link to Paul Prudhomme's recipe because he was the chef that popularized blackened redfish.
    I get the fillet cold, then dip it in cooled melted butter which causes the melted butter to stick and produce a thick coating of butter on the fillet -- generous coating of Paul Prudhomme's "redfish seasoning" and into the 600 degree surface.  Now you talk about SMOKE !!!  Next time i am filleting while leaving the skin and fcales on the fillets  -- blacken one side -- cooked the scaled side and serve... 
  • Bham_egger
    Bham_egger Posts: 196
    I have always blackened my fish like Nola says. Coat entire filet in butter, HEAVY Chef Paul's, then in a crazy hot skillet. This is the first time I've done it on the egg, and I like the fact that my whole house doesn't get smoked up.

I also tried a different method this time. I did what the guy on the BGE website did when he blackened grouper. Heavy coat of Chef Paul's. a little oil on the pan and when it's HOT add a pad of butter. I guess this is more bronzing than blackening. Then throw in the fish for about 3 min per side. Both ways have their advantages IMO, and are equally as good, just different.

As far as half shell vs not, I remove all of the skin off the filets when I blacken so I can cook evenly on both sides. If I'm just grilling, I prefer skin on ("on the half shell")

Chef Paul's is definitely the best blackening seasoning I've had.