Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egging an Eggplant Parmesan

Aviator
Aviator Posts: 1,757
edited March 2013 in EggHead Forum

Well, yesterday's veggie challenge became EP (title). Somehow the board decided against pizza and wanted this.

So ran down the hill with a list and got some stuff assembled.

Then started the sauce, with 4 cloves of garlic minced and sautéed in EVOO before adding 2 cans of peeled plum and one can of pureed tomatoes, marjoram and oregano. Cut the eggplant, coated with EVOO and sprinkled with salt.

Got the sauce to simmer for 45 min or so till it got real thick, threw the eggplant on the egg at 400F direct to get a good char on it.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

Comments

• SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    SOOOOOOO what was the verdict? Did said Veggie visitors enjoy?
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Looks like you went with a great option!  =D>
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Aviator
    edited March 2013

Time to assemble. Used a CI skillet which was coated with EVOO. Layer of eggplant, sauce, oregano leaves and cheese - mozz and reggiano. I did 3 layers with small chunks of butter. :)

No starch added.

Assembled and ready for the egg. Switched the egg to indirect at 350, although I feel now that I should have gone with 400.

On the egg indirect

Finished and resting, peeps sitting around waiting. At least that's what I thought as I stepped out to shut down the egg, clear the area and come back inside.

Half the food was gone when I walked back in. Outstanding was the verdict.

Chattanooga, TN.

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Fantastic. You sidestepped the part that puts so many calories in this dish -- sauteeing in olive oil. I'm wondering what the butter did for the dish. Also, torn fresh basil would be a great addition, though I do love fresh oregano. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Aviator
    @jlsm, I did do dried basil. could not find fresh at short notice and it was getting late. Yes, the smokiness of the grilled EP stood out.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    That looks awesome!! When I cook EP I have found that covering each slice with a thick coating of salt for about 30 mins it will pull the moisture out an makes for a firmer more meaty EP. Just was the salt off before cooking.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I slice my egg plant and stack with a double thickness of paper towel between each layer - place something heavy on the top slice.  Towels pull the bitterness right out of the egg plant in five minutes.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Nice...looks great.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN