Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bacon explosion

Options
So I tried the bacon explosion pork loin. Have to say it turned out awesome. Had a pretty good smoke ring.

Comments

• chad408
    chad408 Posts: 140
    Options
    Give do details of your cook. Cook temp, time, wood used.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    chad408 said:
    Give do details of your cook. Cook temp, time, wood used.
    +1 Please do. That looks great
  • GaryLange
    GaryLange Posts: 418
    Options
    I made four of those a couple years back to take to a Rally I was going to. Mine had the Bacon layer then Pork rub, Italian sausage and I stuffed them with Pepperjack cheese, Onions Green Peppers and Mushrooms. They were very good if I do say so myself. I smoked them with Mesquite at about 225 or so for about 4-5 hours if I remember correctly. Te original recipe called for well done crunchy bacon in the center but I wanted something with less bacon so did my own thing. If you look on-line for Bacon Explosion you will find the recipe.
  • Andymizunogolfer
    Options
    Next time I will use thinner cut bacon. Pork loin was 4.5 pounds. Had 1.5 pounds of back on it. I did a basket weave on the bacon. Then used Bad Byron's Butt Rub and put brown sugar over that. I rubbed the loin down in squeeze butter and a little more brown sugar. Wrapped the loin with the bacon wrap and left overnight. Got the egg going on 350 with plate setter and drip pan. Let it go for about 3 hours. Pulled it at 170 internal. I used soaked applewood chips. Also used BGE lump. I am changing back to Wicked WW lump though. The BGE seems to burn a little fast.
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    I did one traditional style around the BCS title game. They are awesome.
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    Yours looks great
    Boom
  • Andymizunogolfer
    Options

Hard to beat pork on pork. Although next time I will use thinner bacon. It didnt get as crispy as I had hoped for. Also I will pull the plate setter for about 20-30 mins at the end so that the bottom can get some direct heat. I thought it turned out really well though.

I am still learning new tricks. I haven't had my egg that long. So far I love it.

• canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    Options