Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mickey's Turbo Butt

2»

Comments

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited March 2013
    Trying first one today hope its done by 630 on at 3pm. 4 lbs riding out @ 350 till the end no foil.

Seattle, WA
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    "NO FOIL" = NO TURBO COOK
  • SkinnyV
    edited March 2013
    Ragtop99 said:

Larrymac said:

thanks a lot for the clarification.
    Anyone try the last part of the turbo w/o foil? Does that effect the bark at all?
    Sorry I'm sure that is an old question for some of the eggsperts

I haven't tried it at 350*, but I've cooked at 290* without foil for the whole cook and they come out good.  Cuts several hours off doing them at 250*.

??

1.5 hrs in I'd like some bark. I can foil if needed but thought other threads said try without.
    Seattle, WA
  • Charlie tuna
    The foiled part of the turbo cook is what quickly increases the internal temperature of the butt and sails it right thru the "stall"...
  • SkinnyV
    Got it will foil, I'll check for 160 @ hr 2.
    Seattle, WA
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    "NO FOIL" = NO TURBO COOK

This was indirect @ 325, injected, but NO foil. 6 lbs. took a little over 6 hours to 195. Moist and flavorful.
    Butt.jpg 172.4K
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Charlie tuna
    Billyray -- just my opinion but you see that liquid in that drip pan??  That would be in the foil, and end up in my pulled pork..  Just sayin !
  • billyray
    Charlie tuna I've done them both ways, not sayin' one is better than the other, just different way to turbo. The liquid in the pan was strained and mixed with the pork, goooood. It would have been easier if I had wrapped.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Charlie tuna
    Consider the evaporation too....???
  • Consider the evaporation too....???

Would the bark not keep the juice in? I really dont see the point of foiling unless your going to turbo cook it.

• Charlie tuna

Would the bark not keep the juice in? I really dont see the point of foiling unless your going to turbo cook it.

Mickey's Turbo Butt
    Isn't this the name of the subject ?????

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414

Mickey's Turbo Butt

Uhhh..... Zing?
  •  

Mickey's Turbo Butt

Well looks to me like the guy you quoted BillyRay said he didn't foil his. Which would mean it was not a turbo cook. You then stated about evaporation. If its not a turbo cook then wouldn't the bark hold the moisture in?

Well considering the guy you quoted said he didn"
  • billyray
    To me turbo just means cooking at a higher temp. than the low and slow of 225-250. 325-350 is the turbo temp. and gets you to the end in about an 1 per lb, instead of 1-1/2 to 2 hours per pound. Foiling at 160 or so will get you to the end of 195-200 faster than leaving it unwrapped, but both higher temp. cooks would be considered turbo.
  • SkinnyV
    Posting this since its the best bark I've had on a fast cook. 6 lb butt dome read 300 finished in 5.5 hours. Not sure how no foil until it hit 190 just to keep it FTC for 2 hours. Result great.
    Having it on Costco pretzel rolls tonight with slaw. And bone sucking sauce.

Peace.
    Seattle, WA
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Do you also wash your butt when you unpackage?
    I wipe the stuff off with paper towels, but full blown washing it off is unnecessary imo
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • ddegger
    ddegger Posts: 244
    Man...all this is getting me fired up for my first shot at this! Was going to try Mickey's famous tubo butt method this Saturday but family tells me they want me to do the blackberry glazed pork tenderloin instead. Looks like I'll have to save the butt for later (usually a good plan!)
    500 Posts: 3,177
    edited March 2013
    OK. Let's get our made up terminology straight here. ... High heat, foiled = Turbo Butt... High heat, no foil = Nitro Butt... Or call it what you want. Thanks just how I say it.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    ddegger said:
    Man...all this is getting me fired up for my first shot at this! Was going to try Mickey's famous tubo butt method this Saturday but family tells me they want me to do the blackberry glazed pork tenderloin instead. Looks like I'll have to save the butt for later (usually a good plan!)

I my old age I have found a truth: Always save your butt (always a good plan!).
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    500 said:
    OK. Let's get our made up terminology straight here. ... High heat, foiled = Turbo Butt... High heat, no foil = Nitro Butt... Or call it what you want. Thanks just how I say it.
    This

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Charlie tuna
    edited March 2013
    Wait!  There is another terminology for butt cooking!  There is a method of cooking meats at high(400 degrees) in a covered cast iron pot and it is very fast!!  I tried it once, and the butt was cooked, but was missing the smoke taste.  What is that one called?? 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Wait!  There is another terminology for butt cooking!  There is a method of cooking meats at high(400 degrees) in a covered cast iron pot and it is very fast!!  I tried it once, and the butt was cooked, but was missing the smoke taste.  What is that one called?? 
    Turbo pot roast?

:D
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    There's another...i believe it's cochons de lait...or as we call it in TN, kershin delay. BB roast cooked in ci/do in a milk/cream...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN