Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mock Chicken Legs

Has anyone done Mock Chicken Legs on the BGE. Just setting here thinking and  always loved them when my Mother made them. I figure I could et them browned on the BE then put them in a pan with Mushroom Soup and finish them like Mom did.

Comments

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Curious, what is a mock chicken leg?
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    You bring back some bad memories bring up "mock chicken legs".  I remember them from school lunch, nasty nasty things they were.  I have no clue what they were/are made of, other than to say that it is some type of a "meat" product formed into a chicken leg like shape and breaded.  
  • Parts is parts.
    Flint, Michigan
  • GaryLange
    GaryLange Posts: 418
    I figured nobody would know what they are. It is Pork and Veal placed alternately on a stick. You then brown them and when I was much younger we put them in the oven with mushroom soup and backed them until they were done. Iwrehm they must have not been made right at te school because when made right they are very good. Roasted low and slow on the BGE they would be nice and tender and very tasty. The last hour you could put them in a foil pan with the mushroom soup. Serve with Buttered Noodles smothered with the Mushroom soup and some Corn on the cob. Try them sometime you'll change your opinions.
  • My mom used to cook something very similar. She called it City Chicken. She would bread & pan fry the pork & veal. Very tasty!
    Flint, Michigan
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    That sounds really interesting- I would give that a try!  What are you waiting for?  Cook it up...take some pics...give us the recipe! ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• That sounds really interesting- I would give that a try!  What are you waiting for?  Cook it up...take some pics...give us the recipe! ;)

Yeah I gotta grab up that recipe. I can't do it justice because the breading is a big reason its great. Alas, Wilma & me are on Atkins and breading is naughty.
    Flint, Michigan
  • bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    We used to call it City Chicken too. Haven't had any in decades, but it used to be quite common. We used to eat them on the stick, kind of like drumsticks.

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    That sounds really interesting- I would give that a try!  What are you waiting for?  Cook it up...take some pics...give us the recipe! ;)

Yeah I gotta grab up that recipe. I can't do it justice because the breading is a big reason its great. Alas, Wilma & me are on Atkins and breading is naughty.
    I feel your pain!  The missus and I are also doing low carb.  I guess if the meat is breaded it might not work out as good on the egg- not sure how that would turn out. 

@GaryLange is the recipe you followed breaded?  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• GaryLange
    GaryLange Posts: 418
    They are really easy to make. I just take a good pork roast and cut it into small pieces about 1-1/2" and do the same to some veal or a good cut of beef like a ribeye. Then slide them on some sticks alternating between the beef and pork dip them in flour the egg and finally some panko bread crumbs. I then brown them in a fry pan or you can put them on the BGE and let them cook at about 250 degrees for a couple hours. I have even thought of wrapping them in Bacon and throwing them on the BGE at 250 for a couple hours. You eat them like a chicken leg. Letting them cook some in the mushroom soup is and option also and tastes very good.
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
    Can't wait to see pix of this! All new to me. :) Sounds great!
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    For us growing up, City Chicken was cubed veal and pork on a stick, breaded and fried. Mock Chicken Legs were ground veal and pork, shaped into a chicken leg around a stick, browned then baked. Should be adaptable to the Egg.
    bboulier Posts: 558
    There is a Wikipedia article on City Chicken (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_chicken).  Apparently it is as old as 1908.  While the article does not say so, I assume that City Chicken was developed, because chicken was then one of the more expensive meats.  City Chicken was a cheap way to provide a "ritzy" meal.  Today, we think of chicken as cheap.  It was not always so.  When Hoover promised a "chicken in every pot", he meant that prosperous times were coming.  When I was growing up in the early 1950s in Nebraska, chicken was a special Sunday meal.  Beef was an every night dish. 
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Cool stuff! I love learning about different regional dishes I have never heard of. Sure brings up some ideas, and sounds like something that needs to be tried. Lotza possibilities.

Cool thread.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410

Pics in vanilla order.  Not a Steve Jones thread resurrection - but a thread resurrection nonetheless.  Purchased these pre-made from the butcher. I assume they are the traditional style with pork and veal.  Lightly breaded. I seared them on the Blackstone and now am going low and slow until they get happy. 

They are sold as mock chicken legs and as referenced above, are also known as City Chicken. It is a favorite of at least one of my children.  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    I swear I was expecting jonesey, lol
    canuckland
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,354
    edited February 14
    Why do a lot of fit men suffer from chicken legs despite having a  dedicated leg day at the gym - Quora
    Gets mocked a lot at the gym. 
    Jacksonville FL