Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking for Time, Temp, and Vacuum Bag Ingredients for Sous Vide Lobster

Options
dlk7
dlk7 Posts: 1,053
I attempted my first sous vide lobster tail this week.  I put in a couple of tablespoons of butter, a dash of salt, and some fresh taragon in the vacuum bag and then put in the sous vide machine for 30 minutes at 140 degrees. I did a slight sear on the egg (about 30 seconds per side) at 500 degrees. It had a nice flavor but was a little chewy.  I would greatly appreciate any input on the best way to sous vide lobster tails. 

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

Comments

• NEWB_IN_NOLA
    Options
    Google is your friend:

140 is too high especially for 30 min.  Looks like Modern Chef recommends cooking at 122 for ~15min, but other commenters say 125 for a bit longer is better.
    "America has only three cities: New York, San Francisco, and New Orleans. Everywhere else is Cleveland." -Tennessee Williams
  • dlk7
    Options
    Google is your friend:

140 is too high especially for 30 min.  Looks like Modern Chef recommends cooking at 122 for ~15min, but other commenters say 125 for a bit longer is better.
    Thanks Newb in Nola - I've found several different recipes on the web but was hoping to find some people on our forum that have "perfected" the cook so I didn't waste 4 or 5 tails until I got it right.  I'll give the 125 for 20 minutes and see how it goes.  Thanks again!!

Waunakee, WI

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    I have not perfected a sous vide or egg method but I have perfected a stove top. I take the meat out of the shell. On the very LOWEST setting (this keeps the butter from breaking down) on the stove, melt enough butter to just about cover the lobster meat. Season butter with your favorite seasoning, a dash of sugar, and a little lemon. Still on the lowest setting submerge the shells for about 30 minutes. Remove the shells and add the lobster meat - still on the lowest setting and cook meat until lobster is done. Sweet lobster. For the SIL birthday I fixed the lobster this way but then I made French bread crumbs, coated the lobster in the crumbs, quickly fried the lobster in oil and served with the butter that the lobster was cooked in. That was some good eats.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I'd try 128 for 20 minutes.  No butter (but spices are fine) in the bag - you'll get a better infusion of flavor into the meat.  Then brush with butter, sear on the egg.  Serve with butter on the side for dipping.  If it's chewy, it's overcooked.
    Options
    Granny and Nola - thank you so much for your input - greatly appreciated.

Waunakee, WI

• NEWB_IN_NOLA
    Options
    dlk7 said:
    Google is your friend:

Thanks Newb in Nola - I've found several different recipes on the web but was hoping to find some people on our forum that have "perfected" the cook so I didn't waste 4 or 5 tails until I got it right.  I'll give the 125 for 20 minutes and see how it goes.  Thanks again!!
    Totally understand.  Didn't mean for my comments to sound pretentious.  Actually was really interested in your topic as I plan on getting a sous vide professional.  One of my pro chef friends has one that I get to play with every now and then.  I really want to do lobster one these days, so let me know how it goes.
    "America has only three cities: New York, San Francisco, and New Orleans. Everywhere else is Cleveland." -Tennessee Williams
  • dlk7
    Options
    dlk7 said:
    Google is your friend:

Totally understand.  Didn't mean for my comments to sound pretentious.  Actually was really interested in your topic as I plan on getting a sous vide professional.  One of my pro chef friends has one that I get to play with every now and then.  I really want to do lobster one these days, so let me know how it goes.
    I hope you didn't take my comment the wrong way - I really appreciate your input - I didn't see the link you provided in my earlier searches which gave me another way to go.  Again, thank you very much. 

Waunakee, WI