Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Italian Frittata

jfm0830
jfm0830 Posts: 987
edited March 2013 in EggHead Forum
Haven't been doing anything worthy of posting here lately, but I did something fun & delicious yesterday. The recipe from the Big Green Egg Cookbook was called Spicy Spanish Frittata with Prosciutto & Buffalo Mozzarella. I wasn't able to get (Italian) Buffalo Mozzarella, but the recipe said a good quality mozzarella using only whole cows milk would do the trick.

The first step was to prepare the roasted garlic using EVOO, kosher salt & black pepper. Here the top of the garlic head has been cut off exposing the top of the garlic cloves.

The garlic has been coated withe the EVOO and seasoned with the kosher salt and black pepper. The head gets sealed in aluminum foil and goes on the Egg at 400 degrees for 30-35 minutes.

The other item needing to be grilled are some Roma tomatoes. First step is to cut them in half lengthwise.

Like the roasted garlic, the other ingredients used are: EVOO, kosher salt & black pepper.

The ingredients get tossed in a large bowl.

A picture is worth a thousand words. I take pictures of the vent positions for the various temps on the Egg. One of the things I love about the Egg is once I got it stabilized at 400 degrees it stayed there for the rest of the time I used it within +/- 5 degrees.

The tomatoes are direct grilled for two minutes, cut side down, on the CI grill grate at 400 degrees.

The tomatoes are then flipped and direct grilled for 2-3 minutes until the skin begins to separate.

The tomatoes are back inside cooling. Once the tomatoes are cooled off they will get peeled and diced. The garlic is now on the 400 degree Egg and will roast for 30-35 minutes. While the garlic was roasting I did the rest of the prep.

The roasted garlic is done and the other ingredients are all measured out. The frittata used 10 eggs, heavy cream, roasted garlic, diced prosciutto, kosher salt, black pepper, chopped basil, diced Roma tomatoes which were roasted & peeled, & diced mozzarella cheese.

Time to make the frittata. The first step was to  add the eggs, heavy cream, salt and pepper into an 8"x8" glass Pyrex dish.

The fresh basil, diced prosciutto & roasted tomatoes were added in layers. The the mixture was topped with diced mozzarella & roasted garlic. Next step is to bake it on the Egg.

The frittata has been on the 400 degree Egg for 40 minutes. There are plumbing T's between the plate setter and the Pyrex dish. It is interesting, but I've found the food cooks quicker when the plumbing T's are used. Before using the plumbing T's, the food always took longer than the recipe said. Now they usually take LESS time than called for. The food also cooks more evenly on the bottom.

After a 5 minute rest it is time to eat.

mmmmmm

I liked this Italian Frittata recipe even better than the excellent Spicy Spanish Frittata recipe (also from the BGE Cookbook) . I thought the roasted garlic would be the dominant flavor, but surprisingly the basil was right up there with it. Plus you could easily taste the prosciutto and grilled tomatoes too. My guests were raving about this dish and said it was perfect. I am usually quite picky about my cooking and can usually find room for improvement somewhere, but this time around there was nothing I could find to change or do better next time. If you have the BGE Cookbook give this recipe a shot!

Jim
3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.

Comments

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
    Looks incredible, Jim! I've been wondering where you've been! Missed ya, bud. :)
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Looks great Jim, glad to see you cooking again. How is the kitchen coming?
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • jfm0830
    edited March 2013
    Hey thanks guys!

@Dyal It has been a combination of more work, less time and the planning of our Kitchen Renovation. Been using the Egg, but for simple burgers and dogs-nothing worthy of posting. As I mentioned in that other post I will be shutting things down soon while Kitchen gets done.

@SmokinDAWG82 I've still been doing some cooking, but real run of the mill stuff. I must admit I really enjoyed doing a cook like this yesterday. The kitchen cabinets are in fabrication and will be delivered in a few weeks. Meanwhile I am starting to empty out my cabinets and get the Kitchen ready for work to start.
  • Sounds and looks amazing!  As always, thanks for sharing!

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Great looking cook.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Awesome cook! Hurry up and get the kitchen done so you can start posting more.

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• WiltOnTilt
    WiltOnTilt Posts: 102
    Looks great, Jim!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Looks great Jim!  It is like breakfast lasagna! I think this would also fit into my low carb diet.  I must give this one a try.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Very good lookin grub. Thanks for sharing the details.
    Seattle, WA
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    As always great write up, like seeing the vent settings super detail oriented.  You probably have all your spiced organized alphabetically with attention to detail like that.  Great looking cook too.  
  • jfm0830
    Thanks to everyone for their kind words.

U_tarded said:
    As always great write up, like seeing the vent settings super detail oriented.  You probably have all your spiced organized alphabetically with attention to detail like that.  Great looking cook too.  
    Guilty! But I have so many spices I really don't know any other way to find things when you have around 100 jars of spices.
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Not a egg fan but great looking cook as always and something I could make for company sometime! 

Did you plan something special for all your spices in your new kitchen design? I spent a good deal of time a few weeks ago looking at spice rack options, most of them were in dream kitchens and had some pretty cool ideas. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • jfm0830
    edited March 2013
    Solson005 said:
    Not a egg fan but great looking cook as always and something I could make for company sometime! 

Did you plan something special for all your spices in your new kitchen design? I spent a good deal of time a few weeks ago looking at spice rack options, most of them were in dream kitchens and had some pretty cool ideas. 

@Solson005 I was working with a fixed budget, and I still had to throw in another $2600 above the budget I had. So for now I had to just get my foot in the door. My plan is to move the spices from a half height wall cabinet above my range hood, to a full height wall cabinet in the group of cabinets I'm adding to the kitchen. This also gets the spices closer to the area where I'll be prepping.I ordered two extra shelves since spice jars aren't very tall.

In the past I have looked at many spice storage options, But they all seem to be designed for people with trophy kitchens. By that I mean the people thar show off their kitchens, but don't actually cook in them. There always seemed to be lots of wasted space for those of us that have lots of spice jars to store. Or the systems wanted you to pour the spices into their jars, only adding to an already considerable cost. 

If you find anything that looks like it might be of interest to those of us with lots of spices, please post a link here on the forum. I'd be very interested to see something that will work for a lot of spices-I am sure I'm not alone there.
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Fantastic looking cook, Jim. I'm also planning a kitchen renovation and was wondering about spice options, too. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia