Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Flat on the Small

Options
R2Egg2Q
R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
My mother-in-law bought me a 7.94 lb brisket flat as a thanks for all of the cooking I do for her. I don't particularly care for cooking flats as I've had much better success cooking whole packers. Beggars can't be choosers and I figured I was up for the challenge.

I decided with all of the interest in SBGEs lately that I'd cook it on my Small. I got it loaded up pretty high with Wicked Good and some oak & cherry chunks: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Got the Egg stabilized around 200-210 and draped the flat over an inverted foil wrapped metal bowl to get it to fit (it was almost 16" in length at its longest point). Folded a little foil under the ends to protect them from the direct heat coming through the edges of the Woo: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Checked to make sure the dome thermo didn't skewer the meat: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

It helps that the thermo is pulled out a bit by putting the clip on the outside of the dome: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

40 minutes in the temp looked pretty much where I wanted it (low to get more smoke): Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

I opened the vents just a slight bit more and took a nap. 2 1/2 hrs into the cook I opened up the vents & let the Egg get up in the 320-340 range. About 4 hrs into the cook it had shrunk enough that I could give my wife a nice clean bowl back to her. Hmm, a little less bark than I was hoping for. In hindsight I was a little light on rub: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

An hour or so later, I decided to foil this one and after another couple of hours it was probing nicely. 3 hrs rest in FTC I was ready to slice this: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

I was happy with the smoke ring. It felt pretty tender: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Gave it a one handed pull test and it pulled apart easily: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Ultimately, it was good but not quite as moist as the flats I get off of a packer. The little bit of point meat on this brisket was excellent and just enough to make me wish I had some more point. Thanks for looking.
XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA

Comments

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    Man that makes me wanna eat!!!

XLBGE 
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options

That's a rather large flat there John.   Nice smoke ring.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• R2Egg2Q
    Options

That's a rather large flat there John.   Nice smoke ring.

Thanks Smitty! I sent a pic of that flat on the Small to my buddy and he said I needed a Med Egg for it & suggested I contact you.
    ;)
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Flats are all I usually make due to cost / availability. That looks great and shows us small owners another great cook to try out! =D>
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Great write up. Thanks for posting
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Thanks for the report. Still working on doing brisket right, so I figured I would try some small flats to practice. Now I have a benchmark to shoot for!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • R2Egg2Q
    Options
    Thanks guys!

Oh, I forgot a couple of details on the cook & set up that may or may not be of interest. I didn't inject the brisket, didn't use my Stoker, used my High-Que grate, and didn't add any more lump or need to stir it. Here's what I had left in lump after pulling off the meat: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Bay Area, CA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Great results and very creative with the SBGE!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Beautiful. Nice smoke ring. Got me wanting to do a brisket again.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Central_Bama_Egger
    Options
    I have GOT to do one of these!!!
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    for those who do flats, that's a perfect example of what size and kind of flat to buy, big with some point running along it.....I'd load up plenty on the plate with that one.....very nice.

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,053
    Options
    Looks tastilicious! :D
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    That looks great!  I really like the idea using the inverted bowl to drape it over to get it "egg shaped" :)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    You did that brisket on a small? Nice.

That settles the mini vs small debate for me.
    Gittin' there...