Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lang smoker

Options
Anybody got one? A buddy and me wanna sell butts and stuff. Thinkin about going in halfers on one of the shorter trailer ones.

XLBGE 

Comments

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    They're are about the best smoker you can get. Some may disagree but they are in the conversation even by people who own other brand. They make a backyard one I've thought about for doing whole pigs. Just can't justify cost yet.
    Boom
  • carter422
    carter422 Posts: 58
    Options
    I had a 36 patio model before I bought my egg.  They are good cookers but you will spend time tending the fire.  I grew tired of this that is why I bought my egg.  If I were to go back to another smoker I would consider a backwoods or an something I could fit a good deal of meat in I could hook an ATC to.
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    Well my buddy has been looking at lang and on BBQ pit masters last night they all had lang.

This is by no means a near purchase. Just thinking out loud.

Me and trey wanna be able to make 30-50 butts at once. Starting out just selling to church and work friends. I've looked into the food sales laws an the licenses and insurance.

XLBGE 
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Another spot to look into is tailgaters at Alabama football games. You could probably pick up a bunch of business that way.
    Greensboro, NC
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    Options
    If you have your minds set on an offset that's one thing, or if you think your customers will buy into the look. Otherwise I'd consider the aforementioned backwoods cookers or stumps or rebel gravity feed smokers. Any of these are going to be significantly more efficient on fuel and management.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    Most of the owners are sellig their older models to upgrade to the new insulated box units.  My buddy who cooks with Myron has a new one.  His old one used to burn about $65.00 in wood per cook.  Considering the operating costs, you better have a full load of pork to make it worth while..
  • beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Options
    The guys at Southern Soul Barbecue cook on Langs with great success. The chefs at Sea Island also cook on Langs.
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    Yea man I'm up for looking at different types. This is just what buddy sent me to check out.

I wonder how efficient and how much space just buying two XLBGE could be?? We already have two larges

XLBGE 
  • TonyA
    Options
    I'd be concerned about driving the ceramics around that much.
  • Central_Bama_Egger
    Options
    @mrcookingnurse what is your location?
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    I'd do some serious research on what it takes to open a catering gig....it's a whole lot more than just a cooker......quick trip to your local health department will get your head swimming with the do's and don'ts, mostly don'ts........

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    If I may suggest so, check out this site. There is a plethora of info on just about anything bbq related plus a whole lot more. You're bound to find lots of good intel about all kinds of smokers, catering, etc.

Disclaimer: I have no association with the site above, except for being a member. If it's not kosher to post a link to another bbq site, then please delete. Just trying to help an egghead out.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    I guess it is catering but I was just thinking of selling butts to family and friend and coworkers. Only problem is the liability. I know an old guy that does it around the holidays.

Just get an order of 20-30 butts, and sell them smoked and whole. I know some guys that do it for church or sport fund raisers.

When I graduate and get "free time" I wanna do a lot of BBQ on the side and trey is wanting toget into it full time.

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    My buddy works weekend nights as a critical care nurse. So he makes enough to be off all week. He wanted to buy a big smoker and his dad has some road side real estate he can put a portable building and make a BBQ shack. Just start out real slow and build on.

I know this would be very hard but he's looking at it more as a hobby that could grow. Maybe 15 grand initial investment just for the bare necessities.

I suggested I'd split the cost of a nice smoker with him for us to do just lump butt orders to it all down pat and build a clientele. Take orders around holidays and stuff.

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options

@mrcookingnurse what is your location?

About 10 min from Vernon alabama

XLBGE 
  • TonyA
    Options
    My dreams of selling roadside bbq lay here:
    http://www.stumpssmokers.com/products/custom-trailers/open-trailers/the-weekender

and here:

http://www.meadowcreekbbq.com/catererdelight/

If you look at some of the other rigs .. it is not a very grand dream.

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    Well, why is it that catering sounds like an easy business to get into, until you are in it??  I have a friend that is in the process of sticking his neck out, and the closer he gets to being in it, the more he wonders what he was thinking about!  Now he has done enough of these "office parties" that his name is already out in the public and has enough business to stay busy.  He has to be legit, since many jobs will be for county organizations.  After talking to the health department he has decided to buy a custom trailer and build out the interior himself.  He already has most of the necessary equipment - his "Old South" wood fired cooker sits right on the back of the trailer.  The stripped out trailer is a $15K investment, but to satisfy the health department, any way he goes, it's goning to cost him that much.  And the trailer is basically for show!!  Because most of his food will be pre cooked, and let me tell you, he knows what he is doing.  He has been hunting down sources for first class sides and investigating shelf life, etc..  He knows he will need a small walkin refrigerated box too just to hold his foods  To me, the investment is steep before the first catering job!!