Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

red snapper

Options
Somebody hook me up with a good idea for cooking some snapper

Comments

• sola
    sola Posts: 118
    edited March 2013
    Options
    On the egg? Or a recepie?

Going to be tough to cook on the egg I think. Very delicate meat & doesnt take very long to cook. Cooking time will take less than getting up to temp, so i doubt it'll take much smokiness. Can't wait till the water is warm enough to shoot a few & try some ideas I have.

I cook them on a griddle/skillet type pan. Paint on a mixture of EVOO & spices, whatever you like is good, have a friend with an authentic Mexican restaurant and used some of his with a little garlic added. You could do this on the BGE but as I said, cooks very quickly.

Good luck!
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited March 2013
    Options
    If it's whole and you have a wok you can cut som slits in it and fry it on the egg. If fillets you can wrap in parchment with butter, herbs and lemon. You can do it skin on the grill too but it's 50/50 if you get it off without falling apart

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• HogHeaven
    HogHeaven Posts: 326
    Options
    Blackened snapper is great! Put you cast iron skillet close to hot lump put a little butter or olive oil in the skillet and drop your snapper in. 1 1/2 to 2 minutes per side. MMMmmm. I serve it with fettuccini Alfredo with a little pesto added to it, garlic bread and of course a good glass of wine.
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options

As others have said, be careful. Cooks VERY fast and if you are engaged in a conversation or telephone, you will miss the bus. How do I know??? :))

Super tasty, I just add some cayenne pepper, salt and onion powder mix with some white vinegar and brush it on to marinate for about half hour. Then onto a skillet with lots of oil to shallow fry on low heat. I tried once on the egg and I had "ground" snapper in no time at all. :)

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.