Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My Bacon UMMMMMM

Made some bacon this past weekend and thought about taking some pics while I was packaging it.  So here they are.  I did 10 lbs with brown sugar and maple syrup.  We ate about 3 already (6 in the house) so this is whats left.  After trying to cut the first 5 lbs with a knife, I had my local deli cut the rest.  Much more consistent but I did not do a horrible job, mine was a bit thicker though.  Smoked it with apple wood. 

All three of my boys told me it was the best bacon they ever had and my wife told them that she was old and it was the best bacon she has ever had.  I thought it came out well but I am not a bacon connoisseur (for health reasons) so I appreciated their comments.  My two boys (9 and 10) want to do the next batch.  So I may get 20lbs this weekend and start the process again.  I have a few employees at the office who want some and obviously need some more for the house as I do not see this batch lasting very long.

Michael

Comments

• I was looking at the pics and just noticed my Thermapen attached to the freezer.  Great device and used it while i was cooking da BACON!
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Homemade bacon is the best. I am gearing up for my next batch. Wish I had a magnetic cover for my thermopen
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Just picked up 24lbs of bellies to start today. I have requests for it.
    Lynnwood WA
  • I bought it when I got the thermapen.  It also glows in the dark -for my winter cooks when the sun goes down early.

I do not think my familly will want store bought bacon again.

Michael

• I thought about buying one.  My local supermarket has a deli that will slice anything for me as long as its cooked.  Since it is less than 1 mile from my house and we visit it daily, I just figured to have them do it.  No clean up and no storage also.

I was also trying to figure out what else I could use a slicer for besides bacon.  Brisket or top round perhaps?

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297

I thought about buying one.  My local supermarket has a deli that will slice anything for me as long as its cooked.  Since it is less than 1 mile from my house and we visit it daily, I just figured to have them do it.  No clean up and no storage also.

I was also trying to figure out what else I could use a slicer for besides bacon.  Brisket or top round perhaps?

I have done brisket and roasts with it also.  Have not tried cheese.
  • RLeeper
    RLeeper Posts: 480

Made some bacon this past weekend and thought about taking some pics while I was packaging it.  So here they are.  I did 10 lbs with brown sugar and maple syrup.  We ate about 3 already (6 in the house) so this is whats left.  After trying to cut the first 5 lbs with a knife, I had my local deli cut the rest.  Much more consistent but I did not do a horrible job, mine was a bit thicker though.  Smoked it with apple wood. 

All three of my boys told me it was the best bacon they ever had and my wife told them that she was old and it was the best bacon she has ever had.  I thought it came out well but I am not a bacon connoisseur (for health reasons) so I appreciated their comments.  My two boys (9 and 10) want to do the next batch.  So I may get 20lbs this weekend and start the process again.  I have a few employees at the office who want some and obviously need some more for the house as I do not see this batch lasting very long.

Michael

A what temp did you smoke?
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
  • Logger
    Logger Posts: 309
    @ TheEasyLife.
    I use my slicer for bacon in order to get the right thickness for my next few cooks using bacon.
    For example, when I want bacon wrapped shrimp, I slice fairly thin and label the package for wrapping shrimp. 
    Thick bacon is good for some applications but, not for wrapping shrimp and scallops.

I also use my slicer for home made Pastrami...which is well worth the cost of the slicer.
    OKC area  XL - Medium Eggs
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    @Richard, do you have that model?? Pretty cheap which is nice. Work okay?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    Man I have until Wed or Thurs for my cure to finish.  I cannot wait to smoke my first batch of bacon (and subsequently eat it :) ).  @chubbs has helped me out tremendously as well as many of the other folks on this forum. 

I too am curious how well the slicer works for that price...
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $