Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ta daaa!! Rib eyes on the small.

Breaking in the small tonight wife ribeyes!

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

XLBGE 

Comments

• Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    Those eggs need a HOME! Ha , I'm just jealous, I want a small BAD!
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665

XLBGE 
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    MCN- strongly considering a Small to go with my XL. Let me know how you like it and will you post a pic with the steaks on? Trying to get a handle on how much it will hold. Good luck and thanks so much.
    Greensboro, NC
  • MrCookingNurse
    @kosko
    It's coming! Hoping to put sealer on it tomorrow

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    edited March 2013

Boom. Pulled around 130. Got away from me. Wife likes med well so it's all good

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    @wolfpack
    I think I posted pic when you posted comment!

XLBGE 
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Looks like you could fit 3 maybe 4 good sized steaks. Sound about right? Let me know how you like it.
    Greensboro, NC
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Did you marinate those chops??
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
    Very nice looking cook! I'm jealous of your new addition! :)
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    @MCN: way to break in the small in style!

@Wolfpack: all the cool eggheads are getting smalls... Just sayin'.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • MrCookingNurse
    Lol. Caliking hit the nail on the head!! These steaks were amazing. Turned out to be med to med rare. Perfect. The small is a much different beast. I will have to start learning the vents again. I was a little rushed, didn't wanna get to 700 and just didn't have a clue were to put vent so I did what I do on my large. Cooked these around 450 for 3 min a side then thermapen read 130-135.
    Dyal_SC said:

Very nice looking cook! I'm jealous of your new addition! :)

They sell them everyday!!

Did you marinate those chops??

Yes sir. Just trying new things. Did a two hour marinade with jack Daniels classic steak house marinate bag. It was really good. A tad sweet and I'm not really a sweet fan
    Wolfpack said:

Looks like you could fit 3 maybe 4 good sized steaks. Sound about right? Let me know how you like it.

I think 4 would work easy.

XLBGE 
  • Wolfpack said:
    MCN- strongly considering a Small to go with my XL. Let me know how you like it and will you post a pic with the steaks on? Trying to get a handle on how much it will hold. Good luck and thanks so much.
    Got a small to accompany my XL for Christmas. Have used it about twice as much as the XL in the last 2 months. 

Do it, do it...
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • MrCookingNurse
    I can see using this a ton. It used so much less coal. And very quick nice neat and tidy.
    @wolfpack
    Have you seen the different eggs in person? Sound dumb but I hadn't until I got seriously in the market for my second

XLBGE 
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    edited March 2013
    Way to break in the little guy! It's perfect for a quick cook! 
    =D>

@Wolfpack @Kosko smalls are great for a second egg! They are big enough to cook for a group and can travel fairly easy as well! 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • MrCookingNurse
    edited March 2013
    @solson005
    Thanks boss. Man it's awesome. My wife did all the sides. I fired up this baby and had steaks in 20 min! This is gonna increase my weekday egging like crazy! I really hope to put them in the table tomorrow.

XLBGE 
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    That looks awesome, wish I would have cooked today instead of giving in to the laziness of my wife.
    :))
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Congrats. I love my small and it uses much less lump than the large. One thing I have realized is that RO lump works better in my small than WG, which I prefer for the Large. I have more or less started using each lump exclusively with the Egg it works best in. Let us know if you find any similar variables or differences.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Is marinating ribeye common?  My usual prep for ribeye is just to let them get close to room temp, open the package, dry them off, sprinkle with a little kosher salt mix, maybe add a light sprinkling of my home made rib rub, and toss them into the egg.
  • MrCookingNurse
    @njl
    Yea I think it's common. I usually just do salt pepper on a room temp steak like you said, but saw this while I was shopping and wanted to try it. Was very easy and good.

XLBGE 
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I allow my steaks to rest at room temperature for at least an hour before cooking.  during this period i rub in some Kikkoman "Marinade & Sauce" liquid.  Sprinkle some fresh couse ground black pepper and kosher salt on each side. 
  • Logger
    Logger Posts: 309
    Kikkoman on a steak is awesome.  Makes folks really wonder what's on it after it's cooked..
    I just use the Kikkoman low Sodium Soy Sauce and some Montreal Steak Seasoning.

OKC area  XL - Medium Eggs
  • MrCookingNurse
    Logger said:

Kikkoman on a steak is awesome.  Makes folks really wonder what's on it after it's cooked..
    I just use the Kikkoman low Sodium Soy Sauce and some Montreal Steak Seasoning.

@logger
    My mouth is watering thinking about that

XLBGE 
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Nice break in cook @MrCookingNurse. Looks like you need to update your profile signature line to include the little one before it gets jealous of the LBGE.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • MrCookingNurse
    Ha lol. Thanks for the reminder. Would hate it to feel like a step child

XLBGE