Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

gasket question

Options

it is gasket replacment time.  looking around on amazon and came across 2 Normex high temp gaskets.  1 is $33.88 and comes with an adhevise kit.  the other is  $17.45 with no kit.  which one should i buy?

Comments

• Charlie tuna
    Options
    Get ahold of RRP on the other forum -- end of problem!
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    $33 is too much for what will fail again IMO. Rutland and be done or go comando
    Seattle, WA
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    edited February 2013
    Options

get the one without the adhesive! use the 3m super 77 spray adhesive. i have had zero problems with gaskets since going to the nomex. the rutland has fiberglass in it and i don't take chances with that stuff besides it is kinda cool to tell people your gasket is made from the same material that is in race fire suits

;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    edited February 2013
    Options
    I emailed BGE and they shipped me a high temp gasket with the adhesive under warranty. New handle and gasket change for the Small BGE 

I don't seem to have a gasket issue like some people talk about. I used the white nomex one with 3m Super 77 adhesive and it has held up well on my large for a few months now. I have only changed one gasket on my large and just did the one on my small in two years. Make sure to have any excess gasket material on the outside of the egg not the inside that will help prolong your gasket. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Chapsz28
    Chapsz28 Posts: 9
    Options
    Mine burnt off... been going without a gasket.. it leaks a bit... no ill effects on time or temp of cooks.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    BENTE said:

get the one without the adhesive! use the 3m super 77 spray adhesive. i have had zero problems with gaskets since going to the nomex. the rutland has fiberglass in it and i don't take chances with that stuff besides it is kinda cool to tell people your gasket is made from the same material that is in race fire suits

;)
    I put a Nomex on and it lasted 3 cooks. FIrst pizza cook fried it. I sent closeup pics and they said must have been "defective" because it was on properly (not hanging over edge). When I removed the rest of it I took a lighter to the good parts and it went up in flames. So, I guess it was a bad one because I wouldn't want to wear race fire suits of something that flames up! Sent me a new one for free but I have been delaying putting it on.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Nomex will burn at 350 C- it won't melt but burns to a char. If your gasket dripped or melted then it wasn't really Nomex. Someone needs to start making gaskets out of OPAN fiber (and maybe some Kevlar mixed in for strength and durability). It is already carbonized and will not burn even under a blow torch. We make some flame resistant fabrics made with a blend of this stuff and would be perfect.
    Greensboro, NC
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Would also be careful with adhesives- they can be very flammable.
    Greensboro, NC
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    Take your lighter and put the flame directly on "YOU'RE" thermopen.  How hot is it?
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options

@mtasker, BGE has a new (or latest version of it) gasket that they call hi temp. Its cheaper than those Amazon ones, has adhesive already on it.

Looks like peeps are getting reasonably good mileage out of it.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• WiltOnTilt
    WiltOnTilt Posts: 102
    Options
    Aviator said:

@mtasker, BGE has a new (or latest version of it) gasket that they call hi temp. Its cheaper than those Amazon ones, has adhesive already on it.

Looks like peeps are getting reasonably good mileage out of it.

i've got one of these on mine.  I've had my LBGE for 3-4 weeks nwo and done 1-2 cooks per week, sometimes at high temps.  Just last night it started to leak smoke :(
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options
    @mtasker-contact BGE HQ as they are supposedly sending out replacement gaskets (of the high heat with adhesive variety) gratis if yours has failed within a year of ownership.  Worth a call anyhow if you meet the age criteria.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    I looked at the newest gaskets on a new dealer's units yesterday, to me they look loke the same material the originals had buy almost an eighth of an inch thick??