Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Shelter Idea Needed for Egg and plans! Please help if you can!

Options
I am looking to build a shelter for my egg in my backyard similar to this one. 

I want to make it 15 x 15 I think as this one was 10 x 10.  If anyone has the ability to draw a detailed plan with list of materials, my egg and myself would be very grateful.  I already have the fireplace in the yard!

Thanks in advance!

Casey

Comments

• loveTheEgg
    Options
    Google "Freelance Designer" in your area and I am sure they could do some detailed drawings for you. Good Luck...gonna be a nice place to hang out!
    Brandon, MS
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    Are you going to build it yourself?

If not, than whoever will build it can surely make the plans after you show pics and ideas.

XLBGE 
  • cdees_1993
    Options
    I was planning on building it myself.
  • SamFerrise
    SamFerrise Posts: 556
    Options
    And you want the drawings foe free I imagine.  Good luck.  I am an AutoCad user but I don't work for free.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • cdees_1993
    cdees_1993 Posts: 135
    Options

Sorry if I offended you for asking for help.  I have tried to help several people with things since I have joined this board.  If you don't want to help don't bother.  It is ok!

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    I downloaded an auto cad software for free for my Mac and used it to make my table plans. Wasn't worth the time. Especially cause I built it myself.

What I did, and recommend, is just rough sketch what you want, in pencil, make a key like 1 inch is 24 inches or somethig and just draw it. Does not have to be close to perfect scale, just make sure you like up all your measurements to come out square.

I've got three wood working projects under my belt, extremely novice, but its fun and not as hard one would think.

Would love to help you all I could, but need a little bit more than just a picture.
    Oh, and id help you for free, but not do it for you.

XLBGE 
  • cdees_1993
    edited March 2013
    Options
    I downloaded an auto cad software for free for my Mac and used it to make my table plans. Wasn't worth the time. Especially cause I built it myself. What I did, and recommend, is just rough sketch what you want, in pencil, make a key like 1 inch is 24 inches or somethig and just draw it. Does not have to be close to perfect scale, just make sure you like up all your measurements to come out square. I've got three wood working projects under my belt, extremely novice, but its fun and not as hard one would think. Would love to help you all I could, but need a little bit more than just a picture. Oh, and id help you for free, but not do it for you.

Thank you so much Mrcookingnurse!  I too am a novice in the area of woodworking!  It is fun a new found hobby.  I just honestly like building things and sincerely appreciate your offer to help.  I got it on the building part no problem. I just need to make sure I have a good plan to go by.  I may do exactly what you said and just rough sketch it and take it to lowes or HD and see what they say.  Again, thank you so much for being willing to help!
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    Yea man no problem. After you make the rough sketch, make a list of each size of lumber or material you need, than add up the lengths and buy extra!!

That's a great idea too, I know my guys at lowes are super helpful. If you have a sketch with lots of measurements I'm sure they'd help you buy the right stuff.

XLBGE 
  • cdees_1993
    Options

Perfect!  Now I have to decide if I want to build it on a slab or leave the natural floor.

• MrCookingNurse
    Options
    Man I'm dying to add on to our porch or make me an egg shed. I need a privacy fence first. But we are in the delema of selling our house or taking it off the market. I've got about a tenXten slab and porch I egg on but it's only room to egg and sometimes when raining it'll come under the porch.

XLBGE 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I would pay the additional cost for water, a drain, cable and plenty of outlets. Install a few outlets on top for tiki lights.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • cdees_1993
    Options

Good point henapple! 

Mr cooking nurse, I was in the same situation a while back with a house.  Didn't want to make improvements because of trying to sell.  We found that by changing our realtor made all the difference.  Too often they simply put a sign in the yard and not much more.  In this market, that makes it tough to sell. 

I was thinking about maybe 15 x 15.  Think that would be enough room for a table with dual eggs and maybe a patio set? It would have a fireplace on one end that is already in the yard.