Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Questions About Swing Racks

Guys, couple quick questions before I pull the trigger. What type of metal are they made of? What is the height range between the racks?

Thanks
Rick

Comments

• Hi Rick:

You might try contacting Franco at www.ceramicgrillworks.com for info on the swing racks.  They manufacture them so he can answer any and all questions about their product.  Good luck!

Flint, Michigan
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    The swing rack is made of carbon steel, which conducts heat and allows sear marks similar to cast iron.
     I just put my cover on my egg because it is supposed to snow so if nobody answers the height range I can get it for you tomorrow. I was able to put a turkey breast on the top rack with 3 ribs in a rack on the bottom after a couple hours on the egg. 

They also offer a shaft kit that allows for more adjustability. 

I really like mine and it pretty much lives in my large egg. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • sola
    sola Posts: 118
    Thanks. Pretty well answers my questions.
  • Solson005
    Sure, happy to help.
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    I just got mine for my XL.  I think there is about 7.5" or so of clearance.  As was metioned, they sell a shaft kit so you can make further adjustments on the height - I think a 5" and 6" shaft.  Although I just got mine last week, I am loving it.  Sears really well and it greatly increases cooking capacity and allows for easy access to the food on the lower grate.   
    XL BGE
  • EggRacer
    EggRacer Posts: 400
    Shaft, John Shaft.
    XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    They say this cat Shaft is a bad Mother--
  • Just curious... How much is this setup for the large BGE?
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    HogHeaven said:
    Just curious... How much is this setup for the large BGE?
    Here is the website link
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    They say this cat Shaft is a bad Mother--
    Shut yo mouth!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• I'm thinking it over -- for my large, the cost is $155. for the grill and twenty bucks to ship it,. That ain't bad, and i think it would come in handy for me when i am grilling veggies...
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    edited February 2013

We like this item, we use it to cook chicken in contests.   We go indirect with a 2" fire ring and it is a nice set up for what we need.   It enables us to do 18 thighs and realy helped our scores last year by having more choices at turn in time.   Great product. IMO

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• sola
    Pulled the trigger a couple days ago. Can't wait for it to get here. Hopefully before the weekend so I can play with it. I want to pile it up with chicken wings!!!!
  • Solson005
    Your going to love it, it's fun to come up with cooks to load it full of great food!
  • I have a method for chicken wings cooking them high in the dome, and i can cook two layers with the three tiered grid.  That is not an advantage for me, but i am thinking how handy it will be for cooking grilled veggies and  other main course items....??? 
  • sola
    I cook my wings with the plate setter & regular grate. There are as many ways to skin that cat as there are cooks. Wondering how temps will hold with twice the wings. Shouldnt be an issue, right?
  • Solson005
    The only issue with doing lots of wings is the amount of time it takes to flip them over and having the dome open that long complicates things. Here is 10 lbs of wings I did for the Super Bowl. I actually did 20 lbs so I split it in two batches. I used the platesetter legs up and a drip pan and the Swing Rack. The second batch I did Cazzys wings and a Wicked Raspberry so they were glazed while on the egg and needed a drip pan. 

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Takes me 45 minutes for one level of wings or two levels.
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Question for you two tier folks.  Aren't you jockeying wings between the top and bottom tiers in order for them to get cooked evenly?  That seems like it would be a chore.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Solson005
    @500 I don't, the top just takes a little longer to cook than the bottom.
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Does any one have both something from Tom at Ceramic Grill Store and the swing rack from Ceramic Grill Works?  I have a Adjustable Rig from Tom with pretty much all the options I need and just wondering if there are any people with comparisons or advantage/disadvantages between the two setups? Thanks guys and gals.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I never touch my wings .  They go on and off at the same time.
  • sola
    Solson, I don't flip my wings unless I sauce the bottom.
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    I'm thinking it over -- for my large, the cost is $155. for the grill and twenty bucks to ship it,. That ain't bad, and i think it would come in handy for me when i am grilling veggies...
    Buy it.  I have the Swing Rack for my XL an I love everything about it.  You can do two pizzas at a time.  The shaft kit is about $25, but I would get the Swing Rack and use it for awhile and then determine if you need to change the height. 
  • sola
    UPS dude just came to the door!!!!

Was something for my sweet wife....
    Crap
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Man, what a tease!!! Happens to me a lot. Usually women's shoes!!
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • sola
    Haha. Too thin to be shoes.... Clothes I'm sure...
  • Solson005
    edited March 2013
    If you don't flip your wings then you will not have any issues. You might have to open the damper a little to adjust for the amount of food but thats it. 

@Scottborajr I have many things from CGS but until the small swing rack comes out I normally don't use them together. I went with the Swing Rack for my multi-level option because of its simplicity. The Swing Rack is made of Carbon Steel so it works similar to cast iron, it takes a little bit of maintenance, but can give you great sear marks (from my picture above) and retains heat very well. As @Duganboy said it works great for pizzas on both levels, I use it on the lower to start and get the crust the way I like it and then finish up top to get the toppings perfect. I do use a spider for the wok and my Tacos al pastor I have used the upper rack with the Spider to sear a steak right above the coals.  Here is the combo using both companies products. The woo lives in my small egg and will be modified or I will custom order a slightly shorter one when the small swing rack comes out..

@sola I hate it when that happens. I like to think of the drive as UPS Claus 
    :D
  • How are you getting the large bottom rack to be at dome height? Using bricks or plate setter?