Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thick cut New York Strips

Options
b40tu
b40tu Posts: 1
edited February 2013 in EggHead Forum
We've been cooking thick cut New York strips on the egg. We sear around 700 degrees, and then let the temperature drop to 450 and finish cooking. Has anybody cooked at the high temperature after searing but putting the plate setter in? It takes a while to drop the temperature to 450 (we have the extra large egg), and I wondered if using the plate setter at the high temperature would have a similar affect, but not having to let the steaks sit off the grill for twenty minutes. The steaks turn out great the way were doing it, but I was curious if anybody has any thoughts. Attached are a couple pictures. Thanks for any comments.

Comments

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Steaks look great!

I don't mess with taking things out or putting anything in a hot egg so I can't help you there. I use my swing rack and sear at the regular level and move to the top rack to get further away from the flame. I also sear at a lower temp, but there are a million ways to do it. I'm sure others can help with that particular method. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Options
    I typically sear at 700-ish like you, but at 4 mins per side they are done at that point. Pretty much just like your pics! Yum!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    b40tu said:
    We've been cooking thick cut New York strips on the egg. We sear around 700 degrees, and then let the temperature drop to 450 and finish cooking. Has anybody cooked at the high temperature after searing but putting the plate setter in? It takes a while to drop the temperature to 450 (we have the extra large egg), and I wondered if using the plate setter at the high temperature would have a similar affect, but not having to let the steaks sit off the grill for twenty minutes. The steaks turn out great the way were doing it, but I was curious if anybody has any thoughts. Attached are a couple pictures. Thanks for any comments.
    I have done the PS method after a sear. They come out great and is lees than 20 mins to cool.
    Your steaks look awesome BTW.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Try cooking low first and then searing at the end. Egg heats up faster than it cools down.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC