Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Getting New Kitchen!!

jfm0830
jfm0830 Posts: 987
edited February 2013 in Off Topic

I haven’t been around here much lately. Several reasons for this. Part of the reason is I haven’t been doing anything new or egciting on the Egg-burgers, dogs, pizzas. Also work has been busy. I am a self-employed architect and one of the reasons I’ve been busy is I have had myself as a client. Last August around the time I got my first Egg, we had our Bathroom and a bedroom renovated so my Father-In-Law could come live with us. He still hasn’t sold his house, and I think he may have felt bad about our spending the money and he is not living here right now. Whatever the reason he has given us the money to get our Kitchen renovated. So I have been working on the plans and getting estimates for the work.

I drew up the plans below to help get estimates and perhaps more importantly, get approval from my CFO (Chief Female Officer). The scope of work includes replacing the existing cabinets with new Shaker style cherry finished cabinets, adding some additional cabinets, new granite countertop, new sink and spray hose style faucet, new trim, and repainting the rest of the Kitchen. My Kitchen is small and I’ve picked up 33 percent more countertop space and 50 percent more base and wall cabinet space. I will go from a 27 year old Kitchen, with yellow floors and countertop and an awful dark thin brick back splash to a brand new Kitchen in 6-8 weeks. The only bad news here is I won’t be able to do too much on the Egg during this time period, with no sink and no prep area. But big picture: We spend lots of time out at our Eggs, but we probably spend even more time time in the Kitchen doing the prep. Plus when the work is done, I’ll be able to do more than ever. So I couldn’t be happier. Thanks dad!!

image  image

This is what I've been using for the last 27 tears. We just never found the time or the money (or both) to have it redone.

The new cabinets being added are on the lower wall adjacent to the Basement stairs.

New 12" x 12" tile floor  with 6" x 6" tile border.

Top elevation shows existing cabinets being replaced with new and new 2" x 2" tile backsplash

Upper elevation showing new cabinets being added. Lower elevation shows existing cabinets being replaced.

Some 3D views so the CFO (Chief Female Officer) could understand what it will look like.

3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Congrats! That is awesome! I would slow down egging too if I were you. Thanks for sharing
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Gonna be nice when you get it done, have missed your awesome pictures of your cooks though and hey, you still have to eat!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • That is going to make a BIG change in your house!!  Nice project.  If you get the drawers with the cushioned closures -- make sure you get them on every drawer.  When we ordered our cabinets, any custom drawer came with the cushioned closure feature.  The cabinet desgner never asked us about this option on the other drawers.  End result: some have it and others don't !!  Pain keeping track of which is which.. 
  • Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448

Awesome, now thats exciting. Good luck with it. We do some 3D modeling here at work too, ours is just an Industrial setting.

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Very nice Jim! I bet your CFO is really excited. Nice of your FIL to fund your project.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    " The only bad news here is I won’t be able to do too much on the Egg during this time period, with no sink and no prep area."

We'll accept no excuses here. Get a 5 gal bucket, and water hose for prep and a hickory stump to spatchcock yer hen on. That's all i use. Fancy knives...i use my leatherman. Yeti cooler...i like it warm. Cast iron Dutch oven...hubcap. Thermapen...finger. DigiQ...the kids stay up blowing through an old radiator hose. Wicked Good...hot asphalt i get from my cousin Virgil who works for the county. So you have no excuses not to continue to post your cooks and recipes.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • jfm0830
    edited February 2013
    Thanks all. We have a small 3 Bedroom ranch and the only other sink is in the Bathroom. We keep it clean, but I just can't get my head around using it for prep. We'll see, I've got a little time before I pack everything away. I work from home and it looks like I will be quite busy during that same period, so I am thinking that suspending operations for a short period makes sense.

@SmokinDAWG82 thanks for the kind words.

Charlie tuna thanks for the heads up on the cushioned closures. All of the doors and drawers in this line have that feature, so I am covered.

@henapple tough crowd! Guess I am not worthy.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    we just redid my brothers kitchen, what we did is the window and plumbing for the sink first and then just cut out the sink top and suspended it to the wall with some diagonal bracing, it was functional til the last couple days before the cabinets were brought up. we were able to do the floors, ceilings,lighting, electrical, sheet rock, heating etc and were able to move the sink when it was in the way in less than 15 minutes.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Good luck and many happy years enjoying your new play area ;)

• Whaler
    Whaler Posts: 110
    Looks very nice....congratulations ! 
    Maybe look into increasing the refrigerator opening to 36" wide.
    Not trying to be critical but most full size refrigerators require a 
    36" w X 69" h opening.
    Pensacola,FL
  • PSHome
    PSHome Posts: 41
    Looks awesome.

If you have the space, which it looks like you do, I highly recommend building the lower cabinets of the fridge/sink wall out 1.5 or 3.5 inch (2x4 flat or on edge).  Three reasons: 1) allows stnd depth fridge to look counter depth (3.5" best for this), 2) more room to clean behind sink faucet and 3) provides more room to store spices, knife block, etc on counter without eliminating working space. We did this in our remodel and love it. 

Also, we did the same thing fishlessman did...we sometimes had to unhook it the work day, but we never went a day without a sink.  

• RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Look's like it will be very nice! Sure miss your posts. About the time I ordered my wok you stopped posting wok cooks and VI went away. :((

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• jfm0830
    Thanks for the additional comments and the feedback. To keep things on the budget I had to keep things somewhat simple..At this point it is what it is going to be. The contracts are signed, just waiting for the cabinets to be delivered, they are in fabrication.

@Whaler .no worries it is a good suggestion. As an Architect I am aware of the 36" width being typical these days, but our new fridge is only 4 months old. I gave some thought to widening the refrigerator space, but it would have either reduced a 12" cabinet to 9" or moved the sink so it was offf-center on the window. I needed the 12" base cabinet to stay 12" for how I use it. I did widen the oven cabinet from 24 to 27" for the same reason-evolving sizes.

@PSHome I was contemplating some of the types of things you suggested, but when the first round of numbers came in they were already higher than I expected. I was also trying to take advantage of some 10-15 percent sales that ended Presidents day. So I need to getthe numbers down and keep it simple. It isn't everything I might have wanted, but it is some much better than what I have now I am thrilled.

@RAC Sorry man! I did do some more stir frys from a cookbook VI recommended just before he left. I felt like I was getting to be a one-trick pony and so I stopped posting wok cooks for a while. Hope you are having success with your wok.

Jim
  • Im jealous. My house is only 7 years old and I want to gut my kitchen! As a DIY cabinet maker, I hate the cheap quality of builder grade cabinets. Perhaps someday I'll save some money and get some time to build a new kitchen.
    Mark Annville, PA