Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Kind Of Bed Do You Sleep On? OT

2»

Comments

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    This a purchase that will need to be made in the near future. This is a great thread for info...

Beds
    Boots
    And Bourbon...

Always get the best you can afford.

My dad wasn't always right; but he was never wrong. ;)
  • TempurPedic. The worst thing about it is that I don't sleep as well elsewhere. We have had ours for ~10 years and it is like new.

I have slept on sleep number beds at Radisson hotels. Not in the same league for comfort but would be nice if you had two people wanting different options.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    We bought a Simmons Beautyrest  for a platform bed in 2005. At the time I did a lot of research on mattresses, enough to be able to teach a seminar on matresses ( I'm talking baout the traditional type of mattress not the foam, latex, etc types).

I found that buying a traditional type of mattress is extremely frustrating and confusing. No two stores have the same "model" of mattress - it may be the same guts/build, but the label will say it is some different model, so we could never compare the same mattress at 2 different stores. I researched how different companies built their mattresses i.e. how many springs/coils, what the pitch and compression of the springs were, how the springs were laid out etc.

We went with a $500 Simmons Beautyrest because each coil was individually wrapped - so one person moving on one side of the bed would not disturb the other person on the other side since the springs were not linked to each other. Also, the coils on the edge of the mattress are stiffer than the rest within the mattress to keep the edges from sagging. We went with a very firm mattress because that is what we liked. 

Several years down the road, our mattress is in great shape and we love sleeping on it. Whenever we travel, we constantly miss our bed, despite having slept on some supposedly high-end mattresses in various hotels. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Yeah, I'm getting tired of waking up with the cronic sore back.  Time to spend some dough on a better mattress....great thread. Thanks.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I got a Vera Wang serta foam mattress on sale for around $700. Its one of the lower end from the series but its great for my back. I used to buy chiropractor visits in 10 visit packages and I haven't been back since a month or 2 after I bought the bed.
  • Original Mattress Factory... last bastion of real mattresses. Got the firmest they make, and haven't looked back. I sleep great, but half of that is due to a mouth guard from my dentist.
    Tucker, GA - LBGE
  • YouEnjoyMyEgg
    YouEnjoyMyEgg Posts: 168
    edited February 2013
    Leviticus said:
    Original Mattress Factory... last bastion of real mattresses. Got the firmest they make, and haven't looked back. I sleep great, but half of that is due to a mouth guard from my dentist.
    New thread: What kind of Mouth Guard Do You Sleep With?  OT     :))
  • LOL! That'd be a pretty unappealing thread!
    Tucker, GA - LBGE
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    This subject seems off topic for the forum. I rarely grill while asleep, having adopted high heat methods of cooking.
         Some general advice: 
    (1) The phrase "bed of coals"  has nothing to do with mattresses.
    (2)  Breathing emissions while sleeping on a gas grill can be hazardous to your health 
    (3) It is very difficult to find a comfortable sleeping position when curling up on even the largest of the Big Green Eggs.
    (4)  Buy a Sleep Number bed with dual controls.   Your spouse will thank you.  My back problems have greatly diminished with this bed.  Highly recommended.  However, if you are in a polygamous union, you may be out of luck.  I doubt Sleep Comfort beds makes a triple (quadruple, etc.) control bed.

Bryan
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • SamFerrise
    SamFerrise Posts: 556
    King Koil
    Great bed for about half the cost of the over priced slabs out there.  Those foam/gel mattresses make me sweat too much.  They are nice, but they rape you on the price. 

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • Tempurpedic.  We had been looking at it a couple times and I stopped at the store while SWMBO was window shopping with the daughters.  They walked into the store and SWMBO stopped and said "Oh God.  That noise is your dad."  I had fallen asleep in the store and was snoring.  :)

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,431

Tempurpedic.  We had been looking at it a couple times and I stopped at the store while SWMBO was window shopping with the daughters.  They walked into the store and SWMBO stopped and said "Oh God.  That noise is your dad."  I had fallen asleep in the store and was snoring.  :)

=))

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757

Tempurpedic.  We had been looking at it a couple times and I stopped at the store while SWMBO was window shopping with the daughters.  They walked into the store and SWMBO stopped and said "Oh God.  That noise is your dad."  I had fallen asleep in the store and was snoring.  :)

You my friend, haz sleep apnea.
    =))

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    We have Comfortaire.

@necessaryindulg we did too and I love it!  It is actually made about 25 mins from where I live and I got to go into their private showroom (I know someone who knows someone) at their factory and lay on every one of their beds.  I dont think I will ever buy a different kind!
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• Sleep number in the house. I loved it so much, it helped my back, that I got one for my RV! This bed and the egg were great investments!