Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sweating

Options
It rained like crazy here yesterday. Went out just awhile ago to get the egg ready to do steaks tonight. I decided to put fresh charcoal in it and start it up since it had been awhile since my last cook. Figured I'd get it to 400 for a little while. Got fire going good, shut the top and closed the bottom some. All of a sudden I noticed beads of water forming on just the top dome. At the same time the temp dove from 400 to just under 250. I opened it and the fir is nice and hot, no sweating on inside of dome. But I can't get temp back up. Anyone ever encounter this?

Comments

• GK59
    GK59 Posts: 501
    Options

Yes it happened to me. My egg was out for three day in the rain. The ceramic is soaked .

Use a full load of lump and let it burn away @ 350 or 400*. It has to dry out. May take 4 or 5 hours.  I tried to make pizzas and couldn't get it hot enough.

Don't worry it happens.

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Happens a lot when uncovered Eggs sit out in rain and/or lots of humidity. Doesn't hurt anything. If the Egg has not had a cleaning burn in awhile, the sweat will be brown ooze, which can be a chore to clean off.

Don't know why in your case the temp isn't going back up. I had one mid-winter cook where the Egg sweated for at least half an hour, and it took another hour to break 250F. I try to keep mine covered during snow and rain seasons as a result.
  • Newbbqer
    Options
    Finally got it to stop sweating and the temp back up. Steaks turned out great after all! Thank y'all for responding. I need to find a cover for it.