Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Full Moon Chicken Adana Kababs

Options
Richard Fl
Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
edited February 2013 in EggHead Forum
Chicken, Adana, Kabab, Turkish, Richard Fl.

After trying Chicken Adana at the Bosphorous Restaurant in Winter Park, Fl a few times, I decided to attempt to make it myself. This is a combination of 5 or 6 different recipes.

Adana kebab(colloquially known as Kıyma kebabı) is a long, hand-minced meat kebab mounted on a wide iron skewer and grilled on an open mangal filled with burning charcoal. The culinary item is named after Adana, the fifth largest city of Turkey and was originally known as the "Kıyma kebabı" (lit: minced meat kebab) or Kıyma in Adana-Mersin and the southeastern provinces of Turkey.

Will serve with rice pilaf, pita bread and tzatziki sauce. Side of some roasted baby brussel sprouts baked in oven with EVOO. Added parmesan cheese and balsamic vinegar to serve.

INGREDIENTS:
4 Boneless Chicken Breasts, apprx 1/2 lb each, ground lamb can be used also.
2 Small Sweet red bell/jalapeño peppers
15-20 Cloves Garlic
1/2 Medium White Onion
2 Pieces Sour Dough Bread
Seasoning
5-6 Tbs Sera Mild Pepper Paste (Sade Eu Tipi Biber Salcast, Paprika Paste
1 Tbs Alleppo Pepper Flakes, Regular crushed red will do.
2 Tbs Zaatar
2 Tbs Parsley, Fresh
2 Tbs Paprika, Smoked, Turkish if available
Pilaf:
1 Cup Basmati Rice
1 Cup Small vermicelli noodles

PROCEDURE:
1 Grind or chop fine the chicken, garlic, onion and pepper into a fine blend. Used small plate on the Kitchen Aid Grinder. I used the bread to clean the grinder at the end and help add a little binder.

2 Add the seasonings and mix thoroughly. Let sit overnight in the refrigerator, if possible, to blend the flavors.

3 You can either make them into little balls on bamboo skewers or flat skewers.

4 Place on 1/2 inch flat Turkish skewers and cook over hot coals until done, about 4-5 minutes per side. 350°F direct.

Pilaf:
1 Take the rice and noodles separately and slowly sauté in butter until they pick up a golden color. Do not do on high as they will burn. Mix together and add with 3 cups water or chicken broth to the rice cooker. Takes about 15-18 minutes to cook.

Recipe Type
Main Dish, Poultry

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Read my mind Richard. My wife is a definite foodie. While she loves my traditional egg recipes, I can tell she wants me to step outside my monthly indian cooks and try something new. I will give this a go. Where can I find those skewers? Do they fit on the ceramic rim of the egg then close dome over them? Is the mesh grate to catch and meat that falls from skewers? Thanks for posting!
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Richard Fl
    Options

I found the skewers in a Mideastern store here in Melbooring Fl.  they are 1/2" wide, 24" long of which 6" is a wood handle. I paid $12  for 6 of them.  The name baroody is stampede on the blade.  Go to their link and look at the pdf catalogue around page 71-74.  In the future I would buy the 3/4" wide, but did not have a choice.  I look at the link and can not find any prices or how to order.  Maybe they are just wholesale.  Do you have a Mideastern store in your area?http://www.baroodyimports.com/ 

I cooked mine on the medium BGE and the tips were long enough to go from rim to rim and not have the wood handle get in the way.  Lid closed just fine.  The mesh was for safety and sure enough started with 4 skewers and had one plus the bottom of the sec drop.  Made little sliders and kept on cooking.  Do not let them dry out.

Think if I use the large the wood would be in the way but no big deal for 10 minutes or so.  I have cooked paella in a 24" pan on an extra large and the handles hung over, but the lid closed most of the way.  If you can not  get the paprika paste use some tomato paste.  Flavor almost identical.

• six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    edited February 2013
    Options

Food looks good. I love seeing new ideas.

BTW  Richard FL are you going to eggfest in Melbourne, FL?

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• Richard Fl
    edited February 2013
    Options
    six_egg said:

Food looks good. I love seeing new ideas.

BTW  Richard FL are you going to eggfest in Melbourne, FL?

I live 10 minutes from the hotel.  $15 cab ride home.
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Those skewers are available on Amazon. That's where I got mine, and fit the large well if you stay slightly to the sides and not try to center them on the Egg.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Most excellent cook, recipe, and narrative! Very educational. I discovered Turkish kababs/cuisine 3-4 years ago and have loved it.

If skewers are hard to find, you can go to Lowe's or Home Depot and buy 1/2" wide steel bar in 4ft lengths. Cut each in half, at an angle so you have pointy tips (in case you want to skewer chunks of meat at another time) The 2 foot length of the skewer fits across a large egg and the lid closes, but be careful of the handles as there is no wood or anything and the handle will get hot.

I used these homebrewed skewers until I found 1" wide skewers at a local MidEastern store in Houston. I like the wider skewers much better. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.