Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Realized I forgot to post my bacon pics....

This was done a few weeks ago, but meant to post the pics so yall knew it happened!!

Went with Ruhlman's maple and savory blends from 'Charcuterie'. 5lbs of each. Cured 7 days. Out of bags, rinsed, and in the fridge for 24 hours to form pellicle. On the egg with the AMS for a 6 hour cold smoke with maple pellets. Ambient was 52 degrees and egg was at 62 degrees. AMS went out twice, but probably got 5 hours of smoke. Great coloring from the smoke. Pulled and bagged for 2 days to let them simmer in the fridge. Threw them in freezer for 30 minutes then hand sliced.

Verdict--- will do both batches again. Bot hwere eggcellent. The maple is definitely really good. The savory blend had an interesting flavor-- hint of garlic and salt which was nice.

Think my next batch will be more geared toward a pepper bacon.

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    For some reason wont let me post my pic of the slices. Guess that pic is corrupt, but sure you can imagine what it looks like....
  • Kempy
    Kempy Posts: 188
    Chubbs said:
    For some reason wont let me post my pic of the slices. Guess that pic is corrupt, but sure you can imagine what it looks like....
    anything like this?
  • Chubbs
    Yep, that looks like bacon. 8-}
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Real nice Chubbs. I'm thinking my batch will be straight up American style hickory and hickory pepper.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
    Gracious... Can't imagine how good that must taste. Gotta try that sometime. My to-do list keeps getting longer...and longer.
  • Chubbs
    Thanks, Dyal. It really is crazy good.
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    looks good!!! its great stuff
    500 Posts: 3,177
    I have a birthday coming up. I think I'll wait until after that to do my first bacon run. I may have a slicer in my future.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Chubbs
    I will try to repost my sliced pic later
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Mr. Chubbs that is smoking man....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    This may be a dumb question but did you use Maple to cold smoke the Maple cured bacon or did you use something else like Apple?
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• Chubbs
    I used Maple pellets. Not a dumb querstion at all.
  • r270ba
    So I am starting my cure tonight.  Did I read something about brining as well?  You didn't brine did you?

My thinking was to do the following:

- The maple cure from Charcuterie - smoked with Maple wood
    - Plain jain Apple wood smoked bacon - I figured I would cure with pink salt/pepper (any other suggestions?)
    - Some type of pepper bacon - Does anyone have a recipe and what wood would you use?
    Anderson, SC

• Chubbs
    Here is a pic of my maple bacon sliced. Second batch was the savory blend from charcuterie. The savory had a nice garlic flavor. Next batch will be cracked pepper. Enjoy, it is fun and tastes amazing. Not sure why it is turning the pic sideways.
  • r270ba
    @chubbs...did you cut the skin off first before you cold smoked?  Also how do you know what is skin and what is fat?
    Anderson, SC

• Chubbs
    I cured it with the skin on because I thought maybe it would be a barrier to prevent it from getting too salty. Then, I ended up leaving it on for the cold smoke for the same reason. I smoked it skin side up and then removed the skin after I let it chill in a ziploc for a few days in fridge. As for removing the skin, you can tell the difference in the texture of the skin vs the fat. I ran the knife blade under the skin all the way around to get it going then slowly worked my way through it. There were a few places I got a little of the fat off too, but I just went with it. LIttle easier than it seems, but make sure your knife is sharp.
  • Chubbs......How firm was the meat after the cure?  I just rinsed off a piece of belly that has cured over 6 days.  It is a very thin belly so I figured it was good and cured.  It felt firm when I pressed down on it.  After rinsing it second thoughts set in.  It is very thin so it is still fairly limber.  I'm wondering if I should have left it. 

My decision is whether I go ahead and cold smoke or do I do the hot smoke?
  • Chubbs

It was noticably firm. Did you have liquid in the bag? If it is undercured, it will be gray, if it is cured it will be red.

If you followed a curing recipe and used the pink salt you will be fine. After the seven days give it a real good rinse in the sink, then dry really well. Let it sit uncovered in fridge for 24 hours to form pellicle then COLD smoke it. You wont be disappointed.

• well.....I only left mine for 6 days......  I used the recipe in the book...which is probably the same one you used.  I looked at it again.  I wouldn't call it grey, but it wasnt "cured" looking as in really pickled.  So I put more cure on it, bagged it and put it back to cure a few more days.
  • Chubbs
    well.....I only left mine for 6 days......  I used the recipe in the book...which is probably the same one you used.  I looked at it again.  I wouldn't call it grey, but it wasnt "cured" looking as in really pickled.  So I put more cure on it, bagged it and put it back to cure a few more days.
    Sounds good. Let me know how it goes. Better safe than sorry I guess!
  • r270ba
    @chubbs First thanks for helping me along with this.  This post and All This Talk About Bacon have really helped/inspired me!

With regards to the curing process...I purchased my pink salt with the 6.25% Sodium Nitrite and I plan to mix that in with the brown sugar.  My question is about doing just some plain apple wood smoked bacon...do I just use the pink salt or do I add something else to it like a little brown sugar.  I guess I am asking because it does not appear that you use very much pink salt at all to cure the meat.  Does it need to have 'filler' ingredients to make sure all the meat is covered?  Do you just use the pink salt by itself and hope you cover it all?
    Anderson, SC

• Chubbs........I see were I might have been confused.  I used the cure recipe in the front of the book when it first talks about bacon.  He states,  The following recipe can be used to make any type of cured product, but it is especially good with any pork product."  Yet later in the book under "Smoked Maple Bacon" he gives another cure recipe that has twice the amount of pink salt.  Do you remember which one you used?  Maybe that is my problem.
  • Chubbs

@rustypotts I believe I followed Smoked Maple Bacon. Cant remember the page number off of the top of my head, but it had the pink salt, brown sugar, maple syrup, etc. I will PM you the page number.

@r270ba, when I get home I can PM you the cure I used for my savory blend. I basically subbed white sugar for the brown, left out the syrup, and added peppercorns (crushed) and crushed garlic.

• r270ba
    And the wait begins...

Put 10 lbs in cure last night.  Ended up doing the following:

4lbs - Charcuterie Maple Bacon recipe
    4lbs - Pink Salt, Koscher Salt, Brown Sugar
    2lbs - Pink Salt, Koscher Salt, White Sugar, Fresh Cracked Pepper

tick...tock...tick...tock very excited!
    Anderson, SC

• r270ba
    Oh and my AMS came in this morning!  I plan to use Maple wood with the first 4 lbs, Apple wood with the second 4 lbs.  Any recommendations on the last 2 lbs (cracked pepper)?  Should I use Apple again or something like a Hickory?
    Anderson, SC

• Chubbs
    Nice! Congrats. Make sure you allow the juices to stay in contact with the belly during the curing process. Did you get pellets or dust with AMS? I would suggest using the waiting time to play with it to get used to what gets it going--- and KEEPS it going!! I read to put it in oven to get it hot before adding pellets. Then take a torch to it for a while and let it burn 10 minutes before blowing out flame. Good luck, you are going to love it!!
  • r270ba
    I got pellets.  I have been reading the posts and I am a little worried about it going out.  Def. going to put it in the oven first.

What wood  would you smoke the cracked pepper bacon with?  
    Anderson, SC

• Chubbs
    Depends on how much smoke you like. I think I would go hickory. It will give you a good idea of the difference btween fruit woods and hard woods going forward.
  • r270ba
    @chubbs...this is what I am talking about.  It is not gray at all but it is still not that firm.  I used the recipe from Charcuterie with the amounts it said to use.  I don't mind adding more cure and waiting if I need to (I want to do it right).  Thoughts?

Anyone know what happens if the belly is under cured?  It has been curing for 11 days now.  I have flipped it every other day.  

Coloring...

Flimsy (I know this doesn't actually show that it isn't firm).  I had to kind of bend it to get it that way...it didn't just flop over.

Anderson, SC

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    I always poke mine every day when I flip it. Think like medium rare steak to medium well. They are both soft but one is more firm. Your color looks good.