Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Quintessential Cookbooks --> Top 10

Fellow Eggheads,

Since many of you are much more accomplished foodies than myself, I am seeking your advice on cookbooks.  For many things, I can go online and get a recipe for free.  However, I think the learning, techniques, ratios, and tested recipes can really put somebody over the top.  Feel free to make "top 10" list if you will.  I already searched the forums and found a few good things.  Ultimately, I want a small but high quality set of cookbooks to reference.  For example, SWMBO says she wants French tonight and I have one place to go for that type of food.  Below are the ones I have or are coming via Amazon.com:

- Authentic Mexican Cooking by Rick Bayless
- Mastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia Child
- Stir-Frying to the Sky's Edge by Grace Young
- Thai Food by David Thompson
- Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking by Marcella Hazan

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Charcuterie by Michael Ruhlman
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    You need something on there by Adam perry Lang in my opinion, I like 25 and charred and scruffed, I want his book serious BBQ but I don't want to spend the coin on it right now. Also, check out their Modernist Cuisine at home, great techniques in there
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Breath of a Wok, by Grace Young.  

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• Jscott
    Jscott Posts: 174
    Good selections, here is what I have on my Kindle Fire:
    Texas Backyard BBQ, Wicked Good BBQ, Ribs, Chope, Steaks & wings: Irresistible Recipes for the Grill, Smoke & Spice, and my favorite - The Big Outdoor of Outdoor Cooking
    Enjoy!
    Scott
  • Peace, Love, and BBQ by Mike Mills
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    I'm a huge fan of Cook's Illustrated magazine (and their PBS cooking shows) and, of the 65+ cookbooks I own, their The Best Recipe is the one I'd keep if I could have only one.  They explain the variations tried, and the science, of every recipe.
    Other favorites include:
    Smokin' with Myron Mixon, my favorite barbeque book;
    The Sunset Cookbook, from Sunset magazine;
    Feast of Santa Fe, Huntley Dent.  THE book on the chile pepper/New Mexican cooking; 
    Coyote Cafe, Mark Miller (New Mexican neauvoe);
    Molto Mario,  Mario Batali (italian);
    Best of the Best, Food & Wine Magazine;
    Pizza, Buonassisi
    Baker's Companion, by King Arthur Flour

Have fun!  I keep vowing to quit buying cookbooks, and I've definitely slowed down, but every so often... 
    :\">

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    The new professional chef. Also raichlens sauces rubs and marinades is good as well as charcuterie. I haven't even had time to crack the new professional chef its over 1100 pages.
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Southern Living has an annual cookbook.  I have several of them.
    500 Posts: 3,177
    I like these two.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    I have a LARGE collection of cookbooks and by far my favorite is a Houston Junior League cookbook " Stop and Smell the Rosemary".
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    May I add:

Land of Plenty - Fuchsia Dunlop
    American Pie - Peter Reinhart

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Charleston Cuisine by Louis Osteen
    BBQ 25 by Adam Perry Lang
    Bistro Cooking @ Home Gordon Hammersly
  • I am a big fan of Grady Spears "Cowboy in the Kitchen" series of cookbooks
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    For years, about the only cookbook I used was "Joy of Cooking." Never learned very much about cooking from it, but it was a staple for just about any kind of recipe.

I definitely like "Peace, Love, and BBQ." Good recipes, good stories.

For fine technique, and recipes, anything by J. Pepin.

For helping to understand what I'm doing when cooking something, not just repeating a recipe:

"Cookwise" by Shirley Corriher Likewise, her "Bakewise."
    "What Einstein Told his Cook" pts 1 & 2 by Robert Wolke
    "Keys to Good Cooking," by Harold McGee. Or, his "On Food and Cooking" for a full understanding.
    "Modernist Cuisine at Home" by  Mhyrvold & Billet. Or better, if you can afford it, "Modernist Cuisine vols. 1 - 5"

And, yes, the net has proven to be a vast trove of recipes. I've "clipped" about 1500 pages of them so far. Have bookmarks to maybe 50 recipe collections.
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    I also have a huge collection of cookbooks. Here are the ones that have earned a permanent spot in my kitchen:

Planet Barbecuej, Raichlen
    Plenty (all veggies), Yotam Ottolenghi
    A Year in a Vegetarian Kitchen, Jack Bishop
    Fish, Rich Moonen
    Foods of Vietnam, Nicole Routhier (sadly, out of print but by far the best Vietnamese cookbook I've ever seen)

I've had Fish only about a month. I've never done fish well and didn't really know all the virtues of the various kinds. This has raised my game considerably.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • why does it keep not letting me post? (some sort of approval needed)
  • Sorry for the delay, wrote up responses and forum kept erasing/preventing them for some strange reason.
    Tjcoley said:

I love cured, aged, and/or smoked food, so I will get this one eventually. I have been looking a few different ones, so thanks for advice!

U_tarded said:
    You need something on there by Adam perry Lang in my opinion, I like 25 and charred and scruffed, I want his book serious BBQ but I don't want to spend the coin on it right now. Also, check out their Modernist Cuisine at home, great techniques in there
    APL seems to have some good stuff, but why him? (not trying to argue, just wanting more info) I would love to get a Modernist cookbook, but they are expensive for the good ones! Maybe I will wait until price comes down.
    SaltySam said:

Will definitely get this after I get through her other book I am getting!

@ all, so many good BBQ books! Have read through some Raichlen stuff and it's good. Thinking about Peace, Love, & BBQ right now, but also hear alot of good from MM & Smoke/Spice.

Also looking at The (new) Professional Chef, J. Pepin, Cook/Bakewise.

Eventually, I will get into more vegetarian options.

What is everyone's favorite baking book/guide? We want to do it right (by weight, sifting, right kinds of flour, etc)

Thank you for the great ideas and keept them coming!

• Big Bob Gibson's BBQ book - Chris Lilly
    On Food and Cooking - Harold McGee ( not a cook book, no recipes but to really understand what is happening in the food you cook)
    The Flavor Bible - excellent flavor pairing suggestions for people that like to make their own recipes
    Planet Barbecue or The Barbecue Bible - Raichlen
    Joy of Cooking

Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • beteez
    I have all 3 of APL's books. He is very eggcentric & most recipes are written with directions for a ceramic cooker. His recipes have multiple layers of flavor, a brine that consists of a lot more than salt water & sugar, a flavor paste, a rub, a glaze & a board dressing. You have to be willing to prep & tend, but the results are most often incredible. I would recommend 25 to everyone, it is basic techniques on basic cuts. Serious Barbecue is currently out of print,but APL says it will soon be rereleased, if you can find a reasonable priced copy grab it.
  • MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292

The Flavor Bible: The Essential Guide to Culinary Creativity, Based on the Wisdom of America's Most Imaginative Chefs

This is not a book of recipe but list of ingredients that go well together.  I find it to be usefull when you have a bunch of odd ball ingredients left over.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    @Z_Eggineer : I think the approval deomns strike when you try to quote multiple posts in a reply. Its been happening to me recently too. Very frustrating.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking said:
    @Z_Eggineer : I think the approval deomns strike when you try to quote multiple posts in a reply. Its been happening to me recently too. Very frustrating.
    Thanks for sharing cali.  Those demons just trying to keep the people from seeing more good info!  haha geez
  • U_tarded
    Sorry for the delay, wrote up responses and forum kept erasing/preventing them for some strange reason.
    Tjcoley said:

I love cured, aged, and/or smoked food, so I will get this one eventually. I have been looking a few different ones, so thanks for advice!

U_tarded said:
    APL seems to have some good stuff, but why him? (not trying to argue, just wanting more info) I would love to get a Modernist cookbook, but they are expensive for the good ones! Maybe I will wait until price comes down.
    SaltySam said:

Will definitely get this after I get through her other book I am getting!

@ all, so many good BBQ books! Have read through some Raichlen stuff and it's good. Thinking about Peace, Love, & BBQ right now, but also hear alot of good from MM & Smoke/Spice.

Also looking at The (new) Professional Chef, J. Pepin, Cook/Bakewise.

Eventually, I will get into more vegetarian options.

What is everyone's favorite baking book/guide? We want to do it right (by weight, sifting, right kinds of flour, etc)

Thank you for the great ideas and keept them coming!

APL mostly because i have a man crush on him.  ok not really, its mostly because his books are techniques more so that just a recipe.  like charred and scruffed is all about primal grilling but then he gets into board sauces, finishing salts, sides, building a fire, planking, even going caveman, the how and the why to it all is explained and I like that.  
    500 Posts: 3,177
    So of all the Adam Perry Lang books, which is best?  Maybe a bad question, if they are all different.  I want to start with one of his, and go from there.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • beteez
    500 said:
    So of all the Adam Perry Lang books, which is best?  Maybe a bad question, if they are all different.  I want to start with one of his, and go from there.
    I would say start with 25. It is 25 basic recipes of the most common cuts of meat you would work with from hamburgers & hotdogs to rib roast & leg of lamb. It is worth the price for his chicken recipes. Serious Barbecue is good also, but hard to find & most sellers are very proud of their copies. If you can find a copy anywhere near the cover price grab it. Scruffed has some great techniques, but not things I would use everyday as I do the techniques in 25.
  • Amazon has 25 for $13.95 while Serious Barbecue is $205.00
    easy decision huh
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Occasionally I'll dip into Bubba Gump's cb and we have a pioneer cb full of simple comfort food. I really just find my recipes here. Might tweak it some but there's plenty here to keep me busy for a while.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • U_tarded
    beteez said:

500 said:

I would say start with 25. It is 25 basic recipes of the most common cuts of meat you would work with from hamburgers & hotdogs to rib roast & leg of lamb. It is worth the price for his chicken recipes. Serious Barbecue is good also, but hard to find & most sellers are very proud of their copies. If you can find a copy anywhere near the cover price grab it. Scruffed has some great techniques, but not things I would use everyday as I do the techniques in 25.

I started opposite, I was comfortable with meat cuts and the basics and was looking for things like his board sauces, basting recipies, and finishing salts that are in charred and scruffed. I did get 25 like a week later and it is great too.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Amazon has 25 for $13.95 while Serious Barbecue is $205.00
    easy decision huh
    Hmm, another example of online pricing algorithms adjusting the cost based on some abstract calculation of demand. I have "Serious BBQ," got it as soon as it came out, and the price on the jacket is $35. Which is not to say "Serious" isn't a very good book. Just not bound w. leather, printed w. archival inks, etc.