Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another for the Large/small party

Well, what can I say. Found a small on CL, which happened to be 1o min from our home and took him up on it. Unfortunately, when I was lifting it onto my truck, cut my hand which was in the draft door pretty deep with a s@#$t load of bleeding and hurts as well. So no pics as I cannot unload it. Am typing with my left hand.

But on the +ve side, I have a 12month old small egg in a nest, came with rutland gasket installed, a CI grid, and toms AR with stone and pan. And a BGE cover. 320$

SWMBO only heard of the CL listing, but not what followed. So am in hiding with a bleeding hand. Need some divine help I think, :)

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

Comments

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    That sounds like a good deal. Welcome to the large/small club.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • "Pain heals.  Chicks dig scars.  But glory?  That lasts forever!"  Don't worry about it because a Large/Small combo is glorious!

Flint, Michigan
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757

:))  Fred, Have already arranged for a few buddies to show up this eve so it can be unloaded from the truck. Of course, we will be Q'ing on the large. :) And some rehydration for all the "blood loss" will be therapeutic.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Super deal man. I'd took it up!
    Congrats on the large call combo club!
    Seams like the thing to do this week!

What's toms AR?

XLBGE 
  • Aviator
    edited February 2013

Ceramic grill store adjustable rig.

I have to check on their site, but I think for the small its only one height and brings the grid to felt line. There is a lower level where the pan/stone goes for indirect. Nice.

Chattanooga, TN.

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Congrats on the Small! Sucks that it bit you. That would be a Woo from CGS.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • yes a woo, gotcha, thought i was missing something. I cut my hand trying to pick up an egg at the store seeing if I could handle it by myself, now i use gloves!

XLBGE 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Sweet deal! I'm jealous :)

Sorry about the nasty gash - the small does bite at times. Ferocious little things. Of the few hundreds if dollars you saved, offer SWMBO a cut to buy something nice!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Aviator
    caliking said:
    Sweet deal! I'm jealous :) Sorry about the nasty gash - the small does bite at times. Ferocious little things. Of the few hundreds if dollars you saved, offer SWMBO a cut to buy something nice!

I like where you took this. Splendid idea.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Good deal.  Hopefully the cut heals quickly.  I saw a small for sale here, but they want $390 and rain cap is cracked. 
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Aviator
    edited February 2013

So here is the preliminary shot from last night. Mt friends were nice, pulled it out of the truck and brought to the deck. Got to give him a heat up all the way.

The pic did not upload??

Chattanooga, TN.

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Bummer on the hand, but congrats on the score! You are gonna love having two eggs.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Aviator

So whats up with win 8 why is not letting me do ANYTHING.

It will browse to the file but when uploading says where do you want to save it or open it?????

Chattanooga, TN.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Congrats on the small- great deal!  Sorry about the hand. 

The Win 8 browser that is on the "metro" screen is a little finicky.  If something is not working, go to the desktop and launch the browser from there.  This will use the "win 7 like" version of IE.  MS still working the kinks out of the "metro" IE. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Sorry about the hand, hope it heals quickly. I'm a big fan of the Large / Small combo you should enjoy it too! Thats one reason I got a eggCARTen it is light enough to pick up yourself but as we all know is shaped like a egg and there isn't a great way to carry it. It is easy to carry with one person but a breeze if you have some help. 

I have a macbook so I don't know how to help with your picture issue. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Aviator

Thanks smokey, that's what I was using, but while uploading asks me where I want to save it???

We don't save it but just upload.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Aviator
    Solson, that carten looks sweet!

Chattanooga, TN.

• Aviator
    Can I email the pic to someone who can post it?

Chattanooga, TN.

• Aviator

Chattanooga, TN.

• otter
    otter Posts: 340
    I talked to my dealer about another egg. He steered me towards the medium, I let him know it was for traveling and two temp. dinners. He said he has a medium, and thought the small was to small. He travels w his...?
    Pure Michigan
    Grand Rapids, Michigan  LBGE, SBGE
  • Aviator
    Otter, I think the small is the upper limit in size you can carry. A medium may become too heavy and cumbersome. Just my opinion.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    otter said:
    I talked to my dealer about another egg. He steered me towards the medium, I let him know it was for traveling and two temp. dinners. He said he has a medium, and thought the small was to small. He travels w his...?
    I'd like a medium to go with my XL, but it weighs over 110 lbs so I don't think of it as being very portable.  If I wanted something that was going off property on any regular basis, I'd get a small.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    How is your hand doing? 
  • Aviator
    edited February 2013

Hand is comin along fine. Thanks Eggcelsior, for asking. Have some areas covered with bandaid of various sizes, but did not need any sutures. The worst was the ring finger, but he is holding his own for now. Plus started myself on oral antibiotics and NSAIDS.

Chattanooga, TN.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Just a thought, but are you up to date on your tetanus shots? May not be an issues since it doesn't sound like your cut(s)  is/are deep. Hope the recovery is speedy. At least your driving finger still works :))

@otter: the ideal size depends on multiple factors, for example:

- how many people do you cook for when travelling?
    - how often will you take your egg on your travels?
    - how much can you bench? :))

I think a medium would be unwieldy for travelling, but I'm no expert. Seems like most folks choose a small or mini to travel with. Unless you are planning on buying one egg to do everything i.e. home cooks as well as travel cooks, but you already mentioned that you are looking for an additional egg.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Aviator
    caliking said:
     Hope the recovery is speedy. At least your driving finger still works :))

=))

Chattanooga, TN.

• Eggcelsior
    @otter, the medium is too big to travel with unless you have one of those trailer hitch contraptions for tailgates. With the weight and bulk, you're entering thrown back/hernia territory. I'm a big dude(6'5") but I would only move mine if I had to.
  • @otter is only 6'1" but he is 350 with 5% body fat. I told him he could just lift the xl.
  • Eggcelsior
    Hmmm.... Being an American Gladiator does change things.
  • Aviator

Dont know if I need to start another thread for this.

Cooking with the small is different. On my small, I had issues with keeping temps low. Even with the the draft door closed all the way, it was running at around 350. But I did find the screen and door to be quite loose, so there might me a big leak anyway. Any ideas on how to tighten it?

How do other small eggs do? I did order the HiQue grate.

Chattanooga, TN.