Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lazy Sunday Afternoon

Options
Not much going on today so I figured I fire up the LBGE and throw on some tortilla pizzas and pineapple for lunch and get supper going.  For supper, I grabbed some huge pork spare ribs.  Pizzas turned out good and the ribs are smoking away right now.imageimageimage

Comments

• six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    Looks wonderful

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    That's a big slab of spares. Look good!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Central_Bama_Egger
    Options
    Very nice
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Whoa! Those ribs are gargantuan! Sounds like a great way to spend a day.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Kempy
    Kempy Posts: 188
    Options
    @caliking and @Brisket_Fanatic yes those are amazingly large spares.  Here is an updated photo, at a little over 3 1/2 hours in.image
  • loveTheEgg
    Options
    would be curious to know how they turn out. I did a rack about this size a couple weeks ago and they did not turn out very good. I cooked them for 4 hours. although, when I bought them from Sams they came in a 3 pack so I had two left. yesterday I put another rack (of the three) on at 10:30 am and cooked until 5:30 pm (I did wrap in foil at 4 so they were wrapped for an 1 1/2 hours) I sauced them the last 30 minutes. they turned out MUCH better. I was surprized they turned out as good as they did given how long I cooked them. my grate was 240. 
    Brandon, MS
  • Kempy
    Options
    would be curious to know how they turn out. I did a rack about this size a couple weeks ago and they did not turn out very good. I cooked them for 4 hours. although, when I bought them from Sams they came in a 3 pack so I had two left. yesterday I put another rack (of the three) on at 10:30 am and cooked until 5:30 pm (I did wrap in foil at 4 so they were wrapped for an 1 1/2 hours) I sauced them the last 30 minutes. they turned out MUCH better. I was surprized they turned out as good as they did given how long I cooked them. my grate was 240. 

I will update when they are done.  For the first 3 1/2 hours they were cooked with a dome temp of around 225.  (I didn't set my Maverick for this cook, but I'm guessing for as long the LBGE has been going today, its probably pretty close).

The first part of the cook went well, I had a lot of good smoke from my cherry wood chunks and everything smelled terrific.  Additionally, the ribs seem to be very tender already.  I'm not sure I exactly need them fall off the bone tender, but there is nothing worse than tough ribs.  Well, maybe there are things that are worse, but I would hate to waste this lazy Sunday afternoon on a bad cook.

I've now began raising the temp.  Probably raise it to 300 for about an hour.  Once they are close to being done, I'll crank it up to 350, add my sauce, and cook for another 30 minutes.

• Kempy
    Options

Done and done.  Pulled the ribs after about 6 hours on the LBGE.  (Sauced 30 minutes before pulling).  Turned out pretty good.  Certainly not my best, but good nontheless.  They weren't fall off the bone, but that is the way I like it.  My dinner guests also enjoyed them.