Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I want to Char Broil some Oysters Drago Style.

Alton
Alton Posts: 509
Need some tips from my NOLA eggheads! Direct or indirect? Temp? Any tips will be appreciated.
PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......

Comments

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Drago’s Style Charbroiled Oysters Recipe<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /> The Sauce:

1 Stick Unsalted Butter, very soft
    1 Pinch Kosher Salt
    1 tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
    1 Tbsp Minced Garlic
    4 Tbsp Pecorino Romano
    1 pinch Cayenne
    1 pinch White Pepper
    1 Spritz Lemon Juice
    1 tsp Minced Italian Parsley
    Whisk together all ingredients. For the Oysters: 1 Dozen Large freshly shucked Oysters on the half shell (preferrably Louisiana) Watch my quicktime video on How to Shuck an Oyster
    1 Recipe of the Sauce, above
    Pecorino Romano to finish
    Minced Italian Parsley for garnish
    Fresh Bread
    Lemon wedges
    Mix together all of the ingredients. Heat a charcoal or gas grill until very, very hot. Place the oysters on the hottest spot on the grill and let them cook in their own juices for a few minutes, just until they start to bubble and the edges curl. Top each with a generous portion of the sauce, enough to fill up the shell. When the sauce starts to bubble and sizzle sprinkle each oyster with about a Tbsp of Pecorino Romano. Let the Oysters go until the sauce on the edges of the shells gets nice and brown. Garnish with minced Parsley.   Serve while still sizzling with Lemon wedges and fresh bread. Note: The more sauce that oozes onto the plate the better for mopping up with the bread. Also, don’t be as foolish as me and just make half a dozen, 3 dozen is more like it.

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • ericp
    ericp Posts: 152
    I was there a few months ago. They definitely cook them direct about 4-5 inches above the gas burners. As the butter melts and spills over onto the fire it causes the flare ups the add to the flavor.They were very tasty. I watched them cook for a while. Would imagine they would be better over coal
  • ericp
    ericp Posts: 152
    Here is my order from them and a pic of them cooking
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Very good if you can get them open. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

Mmmmm....oysters!

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Parallel
    Parallel Posts: 433
    I'd use a gasser for charbroiled oysters as done Dragos style they're VERY messy.

Every time my elbow bends my mouth flies open.
  • I'd use a gasser for charbroiled oysters as done Dragos style they're VERY messy.
    </blockquote Agreed one of the few things I still cook on my gasser, did a bushel last thanksgiving and they were outstanding!
    Large BGE Middletown, MD
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Drago's oysters are about the best chargrilled ones I've had. Love them.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.