Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best smoke for Tandoori cooking

Options
I've been a long-time cook of Indian food. I'm about to do my first cook on the egg for tikka/tandoori chicken and lamb.

Tandoori meat from a good Indian restaurant always has a smoky taste, but I cannot put a finger on which smoke wood would be best.

Suggestions/ideas appreciated!

-- Josh

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Many (most?) tandoori restos use commercial gas tandoors. Traditional tandoors are wood or charcoal fired and I don't think any particular attention is paid to what specific type of charcoal is being used. Having said, I would try oak lump, since IMO the flavor of hickory and mesquite can be a bit strong. 

Part of the smoky flavor has to do with a little bit of char on the meat and the flavor imparted by fat/juices dripping on to the hot charcoal. 

I've tried some experiments with tandoor-style grilling on the egg, and the results have been great, but not as good as my tandoor.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I like to use apple or apricot for flavor.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Fruitwoods are more palatable to people who are sensitive to smoke - they can almost be like perfume.  Find some species that you like and stock up.
    I agree that I would avoid hickory and mesquite and would use something more subtle such as fruit woods or Oak/cherry/alder.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I agree that a lot of the smoke we are used to in tandoori chicken is from the grease drippings on the coals. If you do want to supplement, I would think go as light as possible or it will be off. Just my $2,000 opinion. (:|
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options

Traditional Indian cooking does not include the addition of wood for "smoke". Its the charcoal or coal that they use to bring that flavor. So as a purist, no wood.

What you want to do is let the lump burn till clear and then throw the meat on. Like others above have said, the fat dripping off the meat and its marinade will do the rest.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• TorontoBBQer
    Options
    Thanks all - much appreciated. I will leave it smoke-less and let the lump do its thing.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I use just lump.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Not related to smoke, but if you are planning to cook tandoori style, think about doing a high temp cook. Tandoors get farkin hot because the air flow is not regulated - big open hole at the bottom and another big open hole at the top. Cook the way you usually do for the first few cooks, but at some point consider the blazing hot cook, just to see if you like it or not. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.