Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

coffee rub

I had a steak on vacation last year. The waiter talked me into a coffee rub strip. O had to gag out down. I've seen many post praising the coffee rub.I've got 2 nice t-bones. Can i have some feedback please?
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292
    I think Dizzy Pig makes one called Red Eye Express (or something close).  Heard good things about it, but have yet to try it myself.  The rest of their rubs are great.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Red Eye Express is good or wait a minute or two and @Mickey will surely give you his recipe.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    Thumbs up on Dizzy Pigs Red Eye Express

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• MO_Eggin
    MO_Eggin Posts: 282
    In my limited experience with coffee as a rub, moderation is key.  
    LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • I really like red eye express its a coffee rub. It's kind of an acquired taste. I didn't jump over board first time I ate it but i use it quiet frequently now.

Would be interest in some home brew coffee rubs. I put instant coffee in my gravy

XLBGE 
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    I'm a big fan of Mickey's. My husband doesn't drink coffee and has never mentioned tasting it in this.

Mickey's Coffee Rub (for everything)

INGREDIENTS: 

1/4 cup salt 

1/2 cup brown sugar 

1/2 cup ancho-chili powder 

1/2 cup coffee ground very fine or instant expresso

1/4 cup garlic powder 

1/4 cup ground black pepper 

Procedure: 

1 Mix all and keep in an air tight container. 

Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    henapple said:
    I had a steak on vacation last year. The waiter talked me into a coffee rub strip. O had to gag out down. I've seen many post praising the coffee rub.I've got 2 nice t-bones. Can i have some feedback please?

Here's one we make and use all the time.

1 Tbs. finely ground espresso coffee beans 1 Tbs. pure ancho chile powder 1 tsp. natural cocoa powder 1 tsp. granulated garlic 1/2 tsp. ground cumin 1/2 tsp. brown sugar 1/2 tsp. ground fennel seed 1/8 tsp. ground allspice 4 tsp. kosher salt 2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Huge props to Red Eye Express. I will be mixing up some of Mickeys soon as well. The red eye is great on flat irons and pork tenderloins among others.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Went with evo, sea salt and cracked pepper. 2lbs of Joy.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Coffee Rub (turkey, chicken, beef & pork) Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee Equal part: Brown Sugar ½ part: Black Pepper ½ part: Kosher Salt ½ part: Garlic Powder ¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder Don't worry on exact, just close on measurement. I used to use turbinado sugar but we like with brown better. This is pulled from MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard In Fl then tweaked. I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area ( have used both light or dark version). I make it starting with a half cup Instant Expresso Ground coffee and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Mickey said:

Mickey, you been napping today?

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Chubbs said:
    Mickey, you been napping today?
    i thought he went on a vacation i figured he would hit this up right away

• Jscott
    Jscott Posts: 174
    I make my own coffee rub, can't really tell you what's in it, found it in a book I was reading awhile ago.
    I think the trick is not to use a lot of coffee, a little goes a long way! We've tried it on pork chops and on steaks and have always loved it.
    Try it again.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Some pitiful pics. Too many beers. The cooking got put off when the kids left for the night. I finally got them on @ 350 indirect. Flipped once and removed at mr for the misses and rare for me. Really great.
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Hey y'all!
    Mickeys rub actually sounds fantastic. That basic recipe with anchos and coffee for earthiness, garlic for roundness and black pepper for bite is actually a fantastic flavor. 

I noticed a few mentions of our Red Eye Express. Thanks!  Funny thing is when I decided to do a coffee rub years ago, I started wanting to do a basic coffee rub, much like what Mickey posted. But I got carried away with a bunch of other ingredients I thought would go well with coffee (but that you would never expect), and ended up with something totally different in Red Eye. Even though it was totally crazy, it seemed to work and we went with it.  I kind of look at Red Eye as a coffee rub out of control, and perhaps more geared toward the adventurous palate. It is quite different from Mickey's. Just a heads up. 

With any coffee rub, I think the better you brown the food, the better the taste.
    Have fun!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • ob
    ob Posts: 17
    Check out Rodak's coffee rub out of Fort Worth.  Here's the website:  https://www.rodakscoffeeandgrills.com/
  • mb99zz
    mb99zz Posts: 183
    I use a rub called "Jake's Grilln Beef Rug" that I got from Wegman's.  I really like it.  It's ingredients are ground coffee, sugar, red pepper, black pepper, minced onions, garlic, and some other goodies.   It goes really well on steaks.