Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wild Turkey....the bird, not the drink

I'm going turkey hunting this year for the first time, and I'm looking forward to something new on the Egg. The wild turkey I've had in the past has been pretty tough, bt I'm thinking a good low and slow on the Egg will make it tasty and tender. Anyone tried it? If so, how was it?
Athens, GA
XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590

Comments

• Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    C'mon!!! Someone has to have tried it! :-?
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    This was something i was going to do this spring aswell so hopefully someone has done it.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

The turkeys down at the ranch mysteriously hid this year before we got down there for thanksgiving.

From waht I've been told, just cook the breast. Wild turkeys do more wandering and teh legs will be tougher. Not sure that low and slow is gonna benefit turkey. Try brining or injecting.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

•    In my experience Turkey needs to be cooked hot and quick.
     Low and slow poultry spells dry and tough for me.

Here are my 2 preferred methods for wild turkey.

Cut breast up into strips or nuggets , marinate 8-24 hrs in zesty Italian dressing , grill at 400 until internal temperature of 180 and no more.

2. Cut breast up into strips or nuggets , marinate in butter milk 12-24 hrs , dredge in batter ( I like Louisiana seasoned chicken fry ) , fry in 375 oil until done.
  • tamu2009
    tamu2009 Posts: 387
    Wild turkey is NOTHING like store bought.

The only way I've had it that it was ANY good was cut into strips, double battered, and "chicken fried"
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Definitely brine and I agree on the breast only. I did one from last year raised direct at about 350. They are pretty good but not as meaty as the store bought.
    Greensboro, NC
  • ChadH
    ChadH Posts: 10
    edited February 2013
    tamu2009 said:
    Wild turkey is NOTHING like store bought.

The only way I've had it that it was ANY good was cut into strips, double battered, and "chicken fried"
    This is the way to do it.  Make sure to cut against the grain.  As for the legs and wings, the only way is to pressure cook them and make turkey salad out of them!