Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Drying/Seasoning pecan chunks

Had a pecan branch fall in my backyard. I chunked it up and have it inside drying.

Question is...
How long, if at all, do I need to let it dry? And, is it necessary to remove the bark?

Comments

• Myron Mixon uses fresh cut peach limbs for his cooks. Your pecan chunks may be ready for use.  Throw a chunk in your egg while it warms up and see how it smells. Typicially wood takes several months to dry out. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.  I hope you find out more.  Its certanily a good question.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• I'm not an expert but I use pecan limbs a friend brings me. I let them dry and remove the bark (I think the bark imparts a bitterness) but it's not necessary. Old BBQ places just split logs and throw them in bark and all.
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    All my wood, pecan & hickory is from trees I cut up. Have never removed bark or worried about letting it dry out. I have used just bark off some big oak trees. Light it up, it will dry as it burns.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I burn my Hickory bark with no after taste. I've always seasoned my chunks.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Green wood is fine to use, just smokes more so use less of it and no need to remove the bark. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    For a smoke wood, green is fine. 
  • Had a friend drop off a double pick up truck of green pecan about a year and a half ago.  He came across a road gang removing a huge tree from the roadway. they cut what he wanted right there.  I started using it green, and now it is dried out and i am about have way through it and i see no difference -- but i am spoiled by this stuff !  Found a source -- but it's gonna cost me $160 for a pallet.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    ^^^ $160 for a pallet is still way better than retail.  Enjoy the deal.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • I am not complaining at all.  I am sold on pecan, and there are a few pecan farmers around my area.  I might try to make a deal with an individual???  My present supply is split into two to three inch diameter pieces about six inches long  --  perfect for my egging!!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited February 2013
    Also get shells and use them as well.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    @mickey my Dad used to have us kids pick up hickory nuts and he would throw them in the BBQ/smoker.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .