Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Small Egg in da hizzouse!

Brought it home yesterday, but it was too dark to take pics. Got home while there was still some daylight, so I took a couple of pics for all to see. The LBGE is in a homebrewed egg crate until I plan and build a table for it. The small was bought for mobile SWAT operations - camping, my sister's house, etc. [Ignore the dirty pool - having some filter issues which are supposed to get fixed tomorrow].

Planning on getting a woo for the small possibly, a High Que grate, and the 8.5" Old Stone  pizza stone pair from Amazon.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Wow. What a setup. Awesome.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    edited February 2013
    Here's a link to the recent thread/discussion about the new vs. old with some cool pics and good info about the small.

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    I have a large and small and agree that it is a great combo.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Love that cart, house table---ette, whatever you want to call it for the Large.  Looks like a true Urban Assault Egg ready to combat hungry and subpar gassers across America
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Awesome! Can't wait to see it in action! When are we having a Large/ small BGE owners pool party?  B-)
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Your setup makes me depressed to slum it on my porch. AND I want a small egg. :-w
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Solson005
    Join us @Chubbs the small is calling your name. Plus you can always get a mini later..
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • caliking
    WTF? Had some witty repartee to shoot back and it was snatched off by the "must be approved" ghost? Will I ever see it again.

Thanks for the kind words everyone... its a little wet out with the rain and all, so i will have to wait a couple of days to fire it up. 

• Solson005
    It usually pops up when you are least expecting it and then you can't change it. Unless it was too witty and they didn't like it…  >:)
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    Congrats on the small. I'm wanting a small to go with my large but I don't see it happening anytime soon.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    I LOVE your "homebrewed egg cart"!!!

"R2D2, I am Your Father!"   
    :))

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• That's a beautiful set up, wish I had a pool and landscaping that looked that nice. Congrats on the new member of the family.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • @chubbs
    Come one man!! Just buy one already!

XLBGE 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    edited February 2013
    Solson005 said:

Join us @Chubbs the small is calling your name. Plus you can always get a mini later..

My dealer sold the one he had In stock and said it would be April until he gets one in. May try Augusta,Ga. Only an hour away and the in laws live there. My dealer was giving me 20% off though.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Solson005
    Just teasing a little @Chubbs I got a good deal on mine and found out last night that they but the hinge on upside-down. Easy fix but funny, while saving money is a huge factor to everyone, getting one from somebody who is knowledgeable and building a relationship is good too. I bought my large from the good dealer so I kind of did both..
  • caliking
    Chubbs said:
    My dealer sold the one he had In stock and said it would be April until he gets one in. May try Augusta,Ga. Only an hour away and the in laws live there. My dealer was giving me 20% off though.
    buy it, buuuy it, BUUUYYY IT!! :)

Just kidding. As impatient as I am, I am also a cheapa$$ - if I was getting 20% off I would wait until April myself. Can you negotiate with the Augusta dealer to price match?

500 Posts: 3,177
    That Large looks like its robotic. cool
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Put one of these on it:

Instant PanzerEGGwagen
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Nice set up you have there! Are you looking at the 8.5" stones because CGS is out of stock on their 10" stone? The 8.5" stones will work but the 10" CGS stones are nice and thicker. You could always use the 8.5" on your future Mini Egg ;)
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • caliking
    I don't know what is going on with my posts... they keep vanishing!

PanzerEGGen would be interesting to debut at Salado...

@R2Egg2Q: I just started to wonder whether the 10" stone would be better for a small when I saw your question. No didn;t check  CGS - just saw what i thought was a good deal on Amazon. Are the 8.5" stones too small for the SBGE?

@Solson005: for the third time now I'm going to try and tell you that the pool party starts as soon as you get here with the beer.As many times as its taken to tell you this, you have to bring some scotch now too.

• R2Egg2Q
    edited February 2013
    I've used a 8.5" stone with a 10" drip pan before (CGS didn't offer a 10" stone when I bought my Small) and it seemed to work fine. However, I've used my platesetter or 10" stone more often.

Here's a visual comparison for you. PS: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

8 1/2": Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    I don't have a pic of my 10" stone on the Woo but you can probably just imagine the PS without legs.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Solson005
    edited February 2013
    Beers and scotch check!  <:-P

I use the 10" CGS stone and got the stainless drip pan from them as well. If you go with the woo you might think about getting one without handles.. If pizza or woking are something you are interested in the handles make you have to come up with alternate ways and probably will get in the way of the swing rack when it comes out. 

I use the small/ medium 12" BGE stone for pizza which looks like it is too big but works fine for me. 
    imageimage

I want to make it to Salado and have something awesome up my sleeve if I do make it, but its not looking like it can happen right now.. 

@R2Egg2Q How much lower does your grate sit when your using the platesetter vs the woo in your small? 
  • R2Egg2Q
    @Solson005 the PS sits 1/2" lower (basically the thickness of the Woo ring + cross bars). I think the extra 1/2" lift and no legs likely equates to a little more airflow using the Woo & stone combo vs a PS.

Bay Area, CA
  • Solson005
    @R2Egg2Q I was wondering because, if the swing rack was designed to use with the platesetter. I wanted to know if I would still have a little room to put something small on the top rack if I used the woo. That ½" might be a lot when talking about using a second level. Maybe I'll get a custom woo down the road…  :-?

Thanks! 
  • caliking
    I noticed on the CGS website that there is some room for customization of the woo when you order - they will raise the total height of the woo if you want. How much higher should one ask for? The handles will be eliminated if a custom height is requested. If i want to set up a wok, I am thinking that a slightly higher woo might be good. 

So if I understand correctly, the 10" stone is closer to the size of the platesetter - does that make it preferred over the 8.5" stone? just trying to figure out what I really need to order.

• R2Egg2Q
    edited February 2013
    If I had to choose between an 8.5" & 10" stone for usage with the Woo, I'd go with the 10". It offers a little more indirect heat deflection. I also make pizzas on mine and like a little bigger pizza than the 8.5" stone allows.

As for the height of the Woo, I don't think I'd raise it higher. The higher you raise it the higher you might need to load your lump if you really want a hot wok.

Bay Area, CA
  • Solson005
    edited February 2013
    For the height of the woo it really depends on what you want to use your small for the most. The higher you go the less room for bigger items like my turkey, I see you already changed the thermometer from sticking in too far, which is a good idea.  I am considering a slightly smaller woo to make the swing rack work (when i get it) with it for indirect cooks. It is great at the height it is stock but if you are doing lots of pizzas or want to get things high in the dome you could go higher. The handles just get in the way for my wok making it not sit directly on the woo and at one point it slipped under one side of the handles and I was glad I had welding gloves on both hands because my instinct was to grab it to keep from losing my stuff. 

You can't really tell from the picture but the wok is just balancing on the handles not the woo. 

I would suggest ordering the 10" stone when you get your woo. It works for me, for both pizzas and a 9 lb turkey. I plan on a pork butt or small brisket sometime in the next month or so to go longer.  

I have not done one cook in my small without my woo so I think raised direct is great for the little guy. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Very nice!  Welcome to the large/small club.  I love the off road large cart!  Beautiful setup you have there.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Welcome to the family of multiple Egg owners. It's gonna open up all kinds of opportunities for you. You're gonna love it.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Congrats on the small. I picked up mine a few weeks ago and took it on it's first camping trip last weekend. Sure is nice to egg away from home.

Ricky

Boerne, TX